Flip Chip Arrived and Installed!

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2000, 06:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Flip Chip Arrived and Installed!

Well, I'm going to take my turn and shower Mike T and Superchips with praise!

My custom programed flip chip (regular fuel and high test switchable) arrived in just three days, and installed in under 15 minutes!

After reading all the stories of missing jumpers, thin edge cards, no starts, contact cleaning problems, I really wasn't looking forward to the install process! I guess I really got lucky!

First off, removal was a snap! With a 1/4" drive rachet, I didn't need to remove the battery! In fact I didn't even disconnect the battery because the instructions didn't say to! (Yea, I actually took the time to read them!)

Cleaning the contacts was almost to easy! Especially after reading some of the problems in previous posts! First off, my edge connector did not have any grease to remove, and using the little green scrubby thing, the contacts were clean and shiny with just a couple light passes! I didn't even take the covers off the ECM! In fact it was so easy, I just knew I didn't do something right and would have the "no Start" problem and would have to start over!

So, feeling sceptical, I went back out to the truck (in the dark now) and working off the under hood light and interior light,I replaced the computer, Replaced the clip, and reached under the hood and reattached the connector. I have to admit, I couldn't remember which direction the computer was facing when I removed it, so I figured with a 50/50 chance, I'd have it wrong! Well, fate was with me again, the connector lined right up, the 10mm bolt snugged right down, and (holding my breath and praying) the truck fired right up!

I shut it off, ran inside and posted to the board under Flip Chip installed, then went for a drive! Part of it was I was so excited I had to share it you all, the other part was I wanted to ensure it would start again a second time!

Anyway, I took it out for a spin! WOW! What a difference! Now remember, I still have half a tank of 87 Octane, so I'm just experiencing the transmission improvements! And WOW, what an improvement! I feel it's smoother than before! In fact, why the heck doesn't it come from the factory this way! Around the neighborhood, it's hard to tell much difference, but it's there. Pull out in traffic and give it the gas, and you KNOW it's there! 1st to 2nd is awesome! This thing shifts like my wife's Avalon now! Smooth, crisp, and very clean!

Well, I've rambled on enough! I can't wait to see another new awakening when I top it off with High Test!

Mike, to you and Superchips! You're the best! I really can't put into word the difference! Thanks again!

------------------
Paul...
99 F-150 XLT SC Sport, 4.6L, Auto, Captain Chairs, Class III Towing Package, 3.55 LS, Sliding Rear Window, White, 4X2, CD, Soft Factory Tonneau Cover, K&N Filter, WMS Velocity Tube, Line-X Spray on Bed Liner, Gibson Side Swept Cat Back System, Superchips Flip Chip, and the Original F150online Decal...

What more is there!

ptarnuzzer@megsinet.net

Old 02-05-2000, 12:25 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Paul,

Nice post!

It's actually pretty rare for people to have a problem with their Superchip installation. We do get those stories posted here (which is good for all of us, teh more knowledge the better!), simply because we have such a high concentration of F-150 owners here who modify their vehicles. But the actual number of people who have a real problem is extremely small when you look at the actual numbers.

I know what you mean though, as Murphy's Law seems to have a constant presense in my life, too!

It sounds like your installation went about as well as it could go, since it only took you 15 minutes. I generally tell people who are installing them for the first time to expect a total installation time of about 25-30 minutes. Some people, like you did, can do them in just 15 minutes. Others take more time, and take 40 minutes. All in all, it is a pretty easy installation, you're absolutely right!

I'm glad you're enjoying it, and that it got there so quickly.

Have fun,

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Online Superchip ordering system:https://www.f150online.com/scpp/index.html

Old 02-06-2000, 07:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Follow-up!

Just to bring you up to speed, after installing my Flip Chip, I was really amazed at the difference the chip made to the transmission performance. After driving it for a day, I received an e-mail from Mike saying the 87 octane program was in position 1 and the 92 octane program was in position 2. I still had a half tank of 87 in the truck when I installed the chip, but didn't pay any attention to the position the switch was in. After looking at it I realized I was driving with it in position 2! I switched to position 1 and went for a drive, no difference! Flipped back to position 2, the same! Pulled the computer back out and re-scrapped the contacts thinking they were'nt making a good connection, and the truck was still running on the factory program! I had no detonation from my truck in position 2, so I thought for sure something was wrong! A quick call to Mike (well, is there really such a thing as a quick call to Mike?) he put my mind at ease and explained the difference 92 octane would make in position 2. He also explained that my truck was one of the few that will adjust itself to the lower octane rating, effectively cancelling the added advantage of position 2, which explained why I felt no difference between the two.

Well, I topped off with my first tank of 93 octane fuel yesterday morning, and by time the odometer hit 15 miles, I was feeling a difference! By time I got home, I had to get out and check the license plate to make sure I was in the right truck! I would have never guessed the fuel would have made that much of a difference!

This chip is truely phenomenol! I can't wait to get back to Georgia where I can afford high test on a regular basis!

Mike, thanks again for your patience and understanding! It's like driving a totally different truck!

------------------
Paul...
99 F-150 XLT SC Sport, 4.6L, Auto, Captain Chairs, Class III Towing Package, 3.55 LS, Sliding Rear Window, White, 4X2, CD, Soft Factory Tonneau Cover, K&N Filter, WMS Velocity Tube, Line-X Spray on Bed Liner, Gibson Side Swept Cat Back System, Superchips Flip Chip, and the Original F150online Decal...

What more is there!

ptarnuzzer@megsinet.net

Old 02-07-2000, 03:59 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Paul,

Nice update, excellent post.

It's amazing how much difference can be made with efficient programming, isn't it? Most people say after installing their Superchip, that this is how the vehicle should have come from the factory.

All's well that ends well!

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Online Superchip ordering system:https://www.f150online.com/scpp/index.html

Quick Reply: Flip Chip Arrived and Installed!