hey mikey

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2000, 04:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking hey mikey

mike,

i just wanted to thank you for all your help.
i'm realy enjoying the chip.

i have a tune up at the dealer soon and was wondering if i had to remove the chip before i went in.

thanks,
Dave

------------------
if it's not broken, break it!

Old 02-05-2000, 12:16 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Dave,

How are things up there in Alaska?

What we suggest is, anytime you are going in for anything that is powertrain-related (engine, transmission, etc.), or anytime they might need to do diagnostics, that you remove the Superchip. Since you are going in for a tune-up, I would probably advise you to remove it.

Because the Superchip is so easy to remove and reinstall, it's safest to just pull it prior to service. If they connect your vehicle to the Ford SBDS (Service Bay Diagnostic System) machine with the Superchip installed, they can still retrieve any error codes that might be present, the Superchip will not interfere with that. However, what *will* happen, is that the technician will get one additional false error code, telling him/her that the computer's internal eprom is no longer functioning, and it's supposed to do this, that is Ford's design anytime you attach to that connector, it acts like an on/off switch, and turns off the internal eprom. Nothing is actually wrong, the computer is *supposed* to turn off it's internal eprom anytime you connect to the male edge connector (J3 connector), that is how Ford *designed* it to work. Pull the Superchip, and the internal eprom instantly turns back on, so there is nothing actually wrong with the computer, but most technicians do not know this, you see, so for that reason, it's always easiest to just remove it prior to service.

We always leave our Superchips in our vehicles here at Performance when we take them in for service, but it took me several visits over a period of months to train my dealer's technicians to just ignore this false error code. Due to our knowledge and experience with these systems, it's a lot easier for us to tell a technican this than it is for the "average" end-user. So it's just easier to avoid it altogether by pulling it off prior to service.

Good luck!

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Online Superchip ordering system:https://www.f150online.com/scpp/index.html

Old 02-05-2000, 05:01 PM
Wink

mike,

thanks for the info!
as for hows alaska. hmm, how does 6' to 10' of snow in a 4 day period sound? we have some outskirting towns that have'nt been able to get out for a week due to avalanches.. other than that we have had some days that reached high 40's

Dave

Old 02-05-2000, 10:19 PM
Mike,
Just Wondering How Hard It Is To Pull Off The Chip, And Then To Reattach. Do You Actually Have To Remove The Computer As If It Was The Initial Installation?
(I Know of Course You Won't Have To Scrape Off The Prongs Again.)
Thanks In Advance,
bosch45
p.s I Have Code ATC2 Any Problems
That You Might Have With That One ?
Thanks Again

------------------
2000 F150 XLT BLACK, 4X4,SPORT 5.4, 3.55,
SC,SB,ABS, 17IN WHLS, REMOTE ENTRY, CD,
TUBULAR SIDE STEPS, SMK BUG GAURD, VENTSHADES, MOLDED MUD FLAPS, LINER ALL FORD PRODUCTS

Old 02-07-2000, 04:04 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Dear Bosch45,

No, the only time the computer has to come out of these late-model F-150's is when you do the first-time installation of the Superchip, and even then, it's maybe a 30 minute procedure from start to finish.

After that, you can easily remove and/or replace the Superchip in a matter of a few seconds, by pulling it off of, or pushing it back onto, the rear of the computer.

The Superchip attaches to the outside of the computer, on the rear of the computer, in a "piggyback" fashion, and it's made to be easily removed and replaced, many times.

Your ATC2 code has been done for some time now, and there are lots of guys already using it, so it can be shipped at any time. There are no "quirks" or problems with that code, so far no 2000 model year Ford has had any jumper misconfiguration, etc., so it works just as it should.

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Online Superchip ordering system:https://www.f150online.com/scpp/index.html

Quick Reply: hey mikey