Anyone Install a Super Chip in a 98 Expedition???

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2000, 07:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Anyone Install a Super Chip in a 98 Expedition???

Mike (Superchip_Distributor) told me that the computer was mounted under the hood. I looked but found nothing. So, I looked by the kick panel on the passenger side and found what looked exactly like the other computers I've seen.....Was that it?

Are these easy to get out? Looked like 1 bolt!
Are they easy to get back in with the extra size from the chip?

Anyone done this on a 98 Expy XLT 5.4????

Appreciate any input!

------------------
Rand

Old 02-08-2000, 08:00 PM
Ok Thanks!

I did see this 10mm bolt....

I noticed that the computer code they wanted for ordering purposes was located on the passenger side door near the front hinges. It read "VXX2" and so did that thing on the passenger kick panel???

I dont have 2 computers, but I will figure it out!

Thanks!

------------------
Rand

Old 02-08-2000, 08:11 PM
Rand,
Yep the box inside the passenger side kick panel is the computer. Your code is the same
as mine was. I found taking the battery out
was the easiest way to get to the connector bolt. After that, there is a black plastic
clip that holds the computer in the bracket.
Jumper soldering was not required. You
will love it.
Reed

------------------
'98 Xpey XLT
5.4/K&N FIPK/Gibson Cat-Back/SChip
/ISA's/Mich.265/70/17 M/S

Old 02-09-2000, 12:37 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Dear Rand,

When the computer is mounted in the firewall under the hood, you cannot see it until you actually slide it out from it's recess. The way to identify the computer when it's mounted under the hood is to look for the wiring harness. The wiring harness will be attached right to the front of the computer, and it will have a single 10mm bolthead dead-center. Loosen that bolt until the wiring harness detaches. The computer is mounted to the firewall by means of a threaded post and retaining nut, one on each side of the computer, in what we call a "flange mount". Remove the two retaining nuts, and the computer simply slides right out.

What you found in the kick panel is most likely your ABS computer, and NOT the engine's ECU.

Early Expy's (96 & 97) have their computer's mounted right beside the glove compartment, pointed straight down usually, just like the 94 & up Thunderbird. In 1998 they went to a recess in the firewall, as I have described above. While it's possible for a very early 98 to possibly still have it's computer mounted like the 96 & 97, I have never seen one to date, nor have I ever heard of one, so I seriously doubt it. Sometimes when they build these vehicles on different assembly lines at different times of the year, they will locate the computer in different places, the early 90's Rangers were excellent examples, as they have their computers in numerous places. Under the dash, in the passenger's kick panel, and in a recess in the firewall below the brake master cylinder. The 95 & 96 Rangers are the worst for having different loactions for their computers.

You shouldn't have any more problems if you will take another look under the hood as I have described above. If you're still stumped, you can always call Superchips Tec Support directly at 888-227-2447, M-F, 9-5 Eastern, or give me a call at our number below, and I'll be happy to go over this in detail with you, Rand.

Good luck,

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Online Superchip ordering system:https://www.f150online.com/scpp/index.html

Old 02-09-2000, 06:59 AM

Hey thanks!

I ordered the chip SUnday night and paid the $25 to overnight....Hope they have it ready and I get it today???

If this chip can change the way this "GRANNY TRANNY" shifts and works I'll be happy!!!

Little xtra HP would be nice... I would think that a 50 ft lb increase in torque would be VERY noticable even in a 5500 lb vehicle!!

Let see... 260 HP NEW FQR Engine + 15 HP for cold air induction + K&N + 28 HP for chip =
about 300 HP ish.... And about 385 ft lb of torque????

Not bad!

------------------
Rand

Old 02-09-2000, 08:14 AM
Suspended
Talking

Rand:

I think you will be pleasantly surprised. I installed one in my 2000 Expedition this weekend.

The computer is indeed up above kick panel in the dash and I *strongly* suggest removing the battery and battery shelf before starting to remove the computer. Its easy to get the harness unbolted, but not so easy getting in back on with battery and shelf in the way.

Mike_T quoted me 21hp increase. I don't know how much you can feel, but overall throttle response and transmission driveability are well worth your $250.

What air induction kit are you using?

Bob.

Old 02-09-2000, 02:12 PM
Former Sponsor
Dear Rand,

OK, if you saw that VXX2 on the box in the kick panel, then that *is* your computer. See what I meant in my earlier post about them putting them in different locations? I have yet to see one with it's computer in the kick panel, but several here in this thread have, obviously!

In my experience, they have not been in the kick panel, but just above it, like the late-model F-150's, and you access them the same way in that location. In the Expy, however, as others mentioned, you will need to remove the battery and it's tray as well, so you can access the 10mm bolthead in the middle of the wiring harness. Loosen that 10mm bolt, and as you loosen it, the wiring harness will slowly release. (The computer is mounted so that most if it is in the cabin, but the first inch or so protrudes thru the firewall so it can connect to it's wiring harness) Then you go back into the cabin, and the computer is sometimes held to it's mounting bracket like the F-150, with a black slide-off clip, in which case you simply pull that off and you can then remove the computer. Sometimes it will have 4 little white plastic corner brackets holding it in, in which case you only have to remove one of them usually, and then slide the computer out.

Good luck!

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515

Old 02-10-2000, 06:38 AM
Mike T, I got your message.... I work strange hours! Usually 6am to 2 or 3pm...

Is there a problem with the chip or something? Try me at home after 3!
Usualy work 6am ish to 2 or 3pm.

------------------
Rand

Old 02-10-2000, 11:55 AM
Former Sponsor
Hi Rand,

No, no problem, and by now we've already spoken over the phone, so you're up to speed on what I wanted to let you know. Nice talking to you, by the way!

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515

Quick Reply: Anyone Install a Super Chip in a 98 Expedition???