Question about Superchip

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2000, 06:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Question about Superchip

Hi, I'm new to this site and I wanted to say that it's great and I've learned a thing or two. But I do have a question. I've been reading several postings about the "superchip" and I'm interested in this chip. My truck's code is FOU1 and have been reading that there are "kinks" with this code. Are these isolated problems? Should I expect these problems with mine?

Old 01-31-2000, 02:02 PM
I have the FOU1 code also. I ordered my Superchip last week and all I can say is It's great. Now I haven't even drove it enough to let it reprogram as the Mike says will happen. The truck shifts better, is more responsive after it shifts and just improves the overall driveability of the truck. There is a thread on how to install the superchip and I recommend you read and or print it out. Helps a great deal as the instalation worked with no problems. Thanks Mike for all the help you give the Ford owners.

------------------
1998 ext cab 4x4 4.6 auto
K&N Gen11, Superchip, fiberglass tonneau cover
superchip on the way

Old 01-31-2000, 02:30 PM
I have FOU1 and have had the Superchip for a little over a year and have not had any problems. I haven't heard about any kinks and would like to know. What did you hear?

------------------
98 Nascar Edition, Superchip, Airaid, Flowmaster 70 series, bedliner, in bed tool box, Profile bug deflector and window vents, Class III receiver hitch.

Old 01-31-2000, 02:58 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
OK Guys,

Just to give you an idea, the *stock* FOU1 code tends to be a little bit more aggressive than most others. It got it's start with the 1998 NASTRUCK, which was a lighter vehicle, that didn't have quite as much load on the motor. That code was subsequently used in many other 1998 F-150's with the 4.6 & automatic combination.

We've found that about 5% of these FOU1's will tend to ping (spark knock) a bit when stock using 87 octane regular gasoline, and those owners usually have to use 89 octane, or mid-grade, to stop the pinging when stock. That same approximate percentage, 5%, will also ping with the standard Superchip program, so that is why we have 2 different programs for the FOU1 code. One for 95% of these vehicles, and then the other for that small percentage that wants to ping a bit.

5% is a small number, but it's a much higher percentage than the number of F-150's *overall* that will exhibit pinging with the factory programming while using 87 octane regular gas, and that is why they tend to stick out. And of course, a *lot* of FOU1's are right here on F150online, so we tend to see them much more often, simply because this is the main place where people with these vehicleds tends to hang out on the Internet, so we get a concentration of them here.

There is nothing inherently "wrong" with the FOU1 code, it's just that it had it's beginnings in a lighter, more aggressive vehicle, the NASTRUCK. Because they weigh about 400 lbs. less, we see less of the NASTRUCK's exhibit this than other heavier FOU1's.

I hope that helps your understanding of this a bit better, and please feel free to call us if you have further questions.

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Online Superchip ordering system:https://www.f150online.com/scpp/index.html

Old 01-31-2000, 03:22 PM
Thanks Mike. I just came back from search and found the string in December where this was discussed.

------------------
98 Nascar Edition, Superchip, Airaid, Flowmaster 70 series, bedliner, in bed tool box, Profile bug deflector and window vents, Class III receiver hitch.

Old 01-31-2000, 08:49 PM
Cool

Hi guys and gals - I've got the FOU1 code and I'm in the 5% that has pinging. Mine is not a NASTRUCK. It's a supercab shortbed 4x2. No matter which brand of gasoline I used it pinged - before and after getting my chip. But all is okay now. The chip was reprogrammed and it no longer pings - no matter how hard I put my foot into the pedal... ;-)

Tom in Tacoma

------------------
1998 F150 XLT S/C 4.6L Auto, 3.55LS, 4X2, Moonlight Blue, all the factory bells & whistles except for leather seats. Lund Deflector, Lund Premier Tonneau, K&N, Body-color painted Throttle Cover, Pentaliner S/R, Window tint, factory side-steps, Infiniti component speakers up front, Polk Audio speakers in back, Superchip. Tom in Tacoma (Washington not Toyota)
Go check out http://communities.msn.com/SS97FordsPics for the second best website for F150's

Old 02-01-2000, 02:18 PM
Former Sponsor
Tom in Tacoma is running the "standard" FOU1 program, which is the more aggressive of the two program available for FOU1, just so everyone knows. 95% of the FOU1's can run it just fine, it's those pesky 5% that need a bit more conservative program, so that's why we have it available.

Just FYI for everyone..........

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515

Old 02-01-2000, 07:38 PM
Question

Mike,

I have a 98 F150 4.6 AT with the FUO1 chip. I just got the chip and am on my first tank of gas. I put 89 octane in by mistake (#@%&^#!)and it pings on hard acceleration. Performance is outstanding but the ping worries me. Will using a higher octane reduce or eliminate the pinging? How long should I give it before having it reprogrammed? Thanks

WarEagle

------------------
98 F150 Lariat extended cab, Pacific Green/Silver Frost,
Grey Leather Capt chairs, AM/FM/Cass/6-cd changer,
full tint, color matched bug deflector, vent shades,
A.R.E. hard bed cover, Ultra type 50 polished wheels,
BF Goodrich 315 55R x 16 Sport Truck Radial T/As, 4.6L,
AT, Towing Package, Airaid, Superchip, Flowmaster dual
exhaust, Flowmaster 50 series muffler, 3.55 gears

Old 02-02-2000, 08:17 AM
WarEagle: it doesn't sound like you need your chip reprogramed, it sounds like you need premium gas. The chip NEEDS premium gas!!!

Old 02-02-2000, 01:27 PM
Former Sponsor
Dear War Eagle,

Tina is right, you *must* run premium gasoline with the Superchip, or you will get detonation like you are now with those FOU1's.

I suggest removing the Superchip until you can get it filled up with real premium. If it only detonates when you accelerate hard, then you could keep it in, and just drive it with a light foot on the throttle. I myself would remove it until I ran that tank of 89 down until the fuel light comes on, and then fill it up with a good quality premium gasoline and reinstall the Superchip, just to be safe.

And just in case you were wondering if it's worthwhile, no, we do not recommend using any type of octane booster to increase the octane of what you have in the tank now.

Let us know what happens when you fill up with a good premium, something like Texaco, Amoco, Citgo, etc. Stay away from low-energy fuels like Exxon, and dirty fuels like BP. I would say to give it somewhere around 300-500 miles with premium before deciding if you need to more conservative FOU1 program. If it continues to detonate on hard acceleration after that, then we'll know that your local fuel quality isn't up to par, and that's when you'll want to have it reflashed with the more conservative FOU1 program.

Good luck!

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515

[This message has been edited by Superchips_Distributor (edited 02-02-2000).]

Old 02-02-2000, 06:05 PM
Talking

Thanks Mike. I've got less than 1/2 tank left so I'll take it easy until it is gone. Appreciate the info! You're great.

WarEagle

------------------
98 F150 Lariat extended cab, Pacific Green/Silver Frost,
Grey Leather Capt chairs, AM/FM/Cass/6-cd changer,
full tint, color matched bug deflector, vent shades,
A.R.E. hard bed cover, Ultra type 50 polished wheels,
BF Goodrich 315 55R x 16 Sport Truck Radial T/As, 4.6L,
AT, Towing Package, Airaid, Superchip, Flowmaster dual
exhaust, Flowmaster 50 series muffler, 3.55 gears

Old 02-02-2000, 10:12 PM
Talking

Mike,
Thanks for all the great advice you have given us.
You mention a "good premium" gas, of the ones you mention, Texaco is one that I find in my area of So Cal and those are few and far between. Here we have mostly 76, Mobil, Shell and Arco. Which one of these would you recomend?
BTW I don't have my chip yet but that's my next purchase after I settle with Uncle Sam.

------------------
1999 Harvest Gold F-150 4x2 SuperCab XLT Styleside, 4.6, Auto, Air box Mods, Tow Pkg, Alarm, Snug-Top Hard Tonneau cover(painted to match), 6-disk Pioneer CD changer, Kenwood Tri-Band Ham radio (2m,440,220), Billet grille, Bug Deflector, Clear corner lights, tinted front windows.

Planned Mods: Cat back exhaust, Headers, Superchip, 2/3 inch lower.

Old 02-03-2000, 01:45 PM
Former Sponsor
Dear Goldie,

Texaco, Amoco, and Citgo are my 3 personal favorites, as they all usually have a good high energy content, and excellent detergent additives to keep your fuel system & intake valves clean. That is not to say that other gasolines won't work well, just that these are the 3 that in my experience tend to do the best job in most parts of the country over time. Exxon, Chevron, BP, and any no-names I avoid, though some people are getting OK results with Chevron, for example.

Shell used to be an excellent gasoline, we used in years ago in drag racing sometimes, but I have no idea how good it is today.

What I would say is to try different brands, and keep a *very* close and accurate track of your gas mileage with each brand, as that will give you a good idea of it's energy content. A higher energy fuel will give better gas mileage. Exxon is the lowest energy fuel of any of the top brand names, for example, and you'll get noticeably worse gas mileage using it in most places in the country, as it is now "reformulated" year-round. Union 76, or Unocal, their racing gas is used exclusively by NASCAR WInston Cup, but I couldn't tell you if that means anything as to their pump fuels or not, as I don't have any hands-on experience with it lately.

By all means do let us know if you do some experimenting and tracking gas mileage.

Good luck, and sorry I couldn't be more help,

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515

Old 02-03-2000, 05:49 PM
Thumbs up

Goldie: I did do exactly what Mike suggested about trying different brands of gas and keeping a good log on milage. I only tried Texaco, Exxon, and a no-name one. The no-name one I tried does a LOT of business and their prices were a lot cheaper than the big names. I got the best milage out of Texaco, and almost as good with the no-name one. But the Exxon was awful. So what I concluded was that while I'm home, I run the no-name from around the corner(and save $$$). Traveling, I try to find Texaco. And under no cercumstances was I ever using Exxon again!!! Do your own test, I was really surprized that I could get different mpg by just changing brands of gas. This was on a chiped V8 5speed using premium gas.

[This message has been edited by Tina (edited 02-03-2000).]

Old 02-04-2000, 01:19 AM
Talking

Mike, Tina
Thanks for your advice. I will start the process of finding the ideal gas.

------------------
1999 Harvest Gold F-150 4x2 SuperCab XLT Styleside, 4.6, Auto, Air box Mods, Tow Pkg, Alarm, Snug-Top Hard Tonneau cover(painted to match), 6-disk Pioneer CD changer, Kenwood Tri-Band Ham radio (2m,440,220), Billet grille, Bug Deflector, Clear corner lights, tinted front windows.

Planned Mods: Cat back exhaust, Headers, Superchip, 2/3 inch lower.

Quick Reply: Question about Superchip