Anyone running a superchip on the 4.9l I6?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2000, 09:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool story 94. I guess there's no replacement for displacement... even if you drop a couple of cylinders. If I ever want to race somebody, I guess I should make sure I'm going uphill.

Old 02-09-2000, 01:50 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Dear Bill Murray,

Wow, thanks ever so much for that great 4.9 story!! Which of course begs the question, just how is that vehicle doing now? I am shocked (as you were, no doubt) that it was left to rot for 5 years in the sun, with such a beautiful engine in it, what a shame. And by the way, is my memory correct, wasn't it you that has a 67 or so 427 Impala that you wanted to do something with? I think it was a cop car maybe? If so, has anything happened with that vehicle?

Thanks again for the 4.9 story, and any updates you may have to share with us, Bill. These 4.9 owners need to hear more of this!

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Online Superchip ordering system:https://www.f150online.com/scpp/index.html

Old 02-09-2000, 01:58 PM
Former Sponsor
Dear 94F150,

I'm glad you dropped back by in your spare 5 minutes, iut's nice to see you back again. Sorry your time is at such a premium!

With regards to installing a header on the 4.9, all that really matters is that you don't go with too large a primary tube diameter, that's all, and the folks at Clifford Research know that. I don't know what sizes they offer, but I would think that whatever the smallest size is, that is what you would want for your 4.9 with that very tall gearing. 1 5/8" should be just fine for that engine, I would think. Another option is to have your existing exhaust manifold Extrude-Honed, that works well too. YOu can pick up a spare pretty cherap from a junk yard, and have it sent off, and swap it out for your stock one when it's back, perhaps.

You're also right about some of those 4.9's still having the top speed limiter, because for each different 4.9 computer code, they are located in a different place. So if we didn't have a chance to get that particular computer code on the dyno and find it, then it won't be eliminated. If you can ever get to the Orlando Florida area, I will have them do that work for you at no charge, of course. And of course I realize how far you are from Florida, but I at least wanted to let you know that the opportunity is there from our side. Also, whenever that TS limiter for that code is found, it's always a free upgrade, so if someone else with your code comes in and we can get it done, it's a free upgrade to you, you just send me your module and I reflash it. You're right about what will happen with the TS limiter if you change gearing in most of those years of vehicles, you end up reducing the effective TS limit as well.

"Floating the valves" is a term used for what happens when you overrev the engine, and wind it up higher in rpm than the valve springs have the strength to close the valves quickly enough. When this happens, you're at too high an rpm for the valve springs, and hence they are not strong enough to pull the valve back up and into the seated position at the correct time for proper cylinder seal and combustion. You immediately lose power as a result. The cure for this is a new set of valve springs, or a new *correct* set of aftermarket valve springs to match the camshaft and rpm range you intend to operate in. Or, lowering the rpm range you're attempting to operate in. On computer-controlled vehicles, the rev limiter is set at a point where you can't float the valves, unless perhaps the engine overheats and fatigues the valve springs.

Good seeing you again,

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515

[This message has been edited by Superchips_Distributor (edited 02-09-2000).]

Old 02-09-2000, 07:28 PM
Mike,

Thank you for the information. Nothing better than getting it from someone who has a wealth of knowledge and is willing to share! I highly doubt that I will have my truck in Florida before I trade it in next spring. Unless I can somehow get that extra week worths of vacation to hit Daytona Bike Week!! I'll keep in touch, once again, thanks Mike!

Neal Coppola
Las Vegas

------------------
'94 F-150, 4.9 6cyl., K&N FIPK, Mangecor 8mm wires. Gibson 3" Side Swept, MSD Blaster Coil, superchip. Pioneer DEH-P835R Head Unit, Rockford Fosgate 200a1 pushing 2 RF 10" subs, components and another amp will go in when funds are allocated! Just put on Pirelli Scorpion A/T 255/75/15. Est. 200 hp 300ft/lb. Torque! Not bad for a straight 6!! Also driving the girlfriend's '94 Mercury Grand Marquis.

Old 02-10-2000, 06:49 PM
Really Old "Member"
Mike T:

All vehicles in my sig are parked in one of our two driveways. Other than pumping up the tires every once in a while, none except the 6 cyl have been driven in from 3 to 5 years. The C-10 ate a cam, the 56 Longbed lost a starter and needs a new motor anyway, the 56 shortbed needs sorting out, new motor mounts and so on and the 69 BelAir ex cop car needs to be thoroughly gone through.

All are for sale, if I do sell one or more, I will use the proceeds to fix up whatever is left. All are either unusual or rare and worthy of saving. To my regret, I stopped years before this group going the full resto route and mainly concetrated on power and safety. In other words, I didn't sweat a little rust, tatty upholstery, lousy paint and so on. When fresh, they ran well and were safe and that was what I was after. With the exception of the '56 Longbed, all were Saturday Night Specials (sleepers) and only came out after the sun went down and preyed on unsuspecting shiney, noisy wannabe's.

It was fun while it lasted, may return some day.
Bill

------------------
Bill Murray
99 Lightning #247
PSP Chip & Filter
Spare Superchip
Bassani full system TBI
Oxford White w/normal options.
98 Lincoln Continental Stock
56 F100 Big Window 272 w/TBird intake headers Fordomatic
56 F100 small window w/built 300" I6
69 Belair 390/427/400 Built
69 C10 Panel Stock
Soon: 92 Town Car
Tamiya 1/10 Lightning
Lightning & Thunder Rag Doll Cats.
E-mail MOSTOYSINC@AOL.com
htuken@BellSouth.net
HobbyTown1@WebTV.net
Kennesaw (Atlanta) Ga.

Old 02-11-2000, 12:30 AM
Former Sponsor
Hi Neal,

Yeah, I guess if you're trading in next spring you most likely won't hit Florida. I knew it was a longshot anyway, but I just wanted you to know that if by some chance you could ever make it, we'd make that happen for you.

Have fun,

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515

Old 02-11-2000, 05:26 PM
I just wanted to get in on the 4.9 chip talk. I love my motor, and it has been very good to me. With a good amount of power, 15 mpg, and 185,000 miles, I couldn't ask for a better truck.
As for the header talk, I was looking into one from clifford before, and if memory serves me correctly, it came in two pieces, the first 3 and second 3. In that case, "headers" would technically be correct. I could be wrong of course.
I want more power though, for the towing I do and just because I am a red blooded American. I am going to get the K&N that has the entire new intake up to the throttle body if for nothing else to get the intake out of a wet place. I drowned the stock intake once already. Does anyone have experience with these K&N's? I have already opened up my exhaust after the cats (has to pass emissions still). As for the chip, I would like one if it doesn't require the high octane gas. I live in CT where gas is quite expensive, and this truck has to do lots of driving. Is there even one available that does not require high test? Thanks for any help.

------------------
Rob
89 F150 4X4
300 I-6, 5 spd
For Off Road Driving

Old 02-11-2000, 07:29 PM
Rob,

The superchip does require premium fuel, but is well worth it. I highly doubt that you pay more than I do for fuel (NV has the 2nd highest tax on fuel). I have been paying in the ballpark of 1.67-1.72/gallon for Texaco 92 octane. The way I see it is that it's an extra $5 a month, no big deal.

As for the K&N FIPK, I have been running once since June '99, and so far so good. although it does not replace the entire intake unit. If you have two plastic hoses going into your trottle body, those will remain where they are. The FIPK will simply replace the "chatter box" of an intake that comes out of the grill, over to the aircleaner, and up to those two plastic hoses. It is a very simple install, looks great, and does as it advertises.

In terms of best bang for the buck, the Superchip is by far the best way to go! I wish I would have gotten mine first! Of course there are other moderately priced mods that you can do, such as, coil, wires, plugs can all be done for around $100.

Feel free to let me know if you have any more questions, myself and others here are more than willing to help out in any way we can.

Neal Coppola
Las Vegas, NV

------------------
'94 F-150, 4.9 6cyl., K&N FIPK, Mangecor 8mm wires. Gibson 3" Side Swept, MSD Blaster Coil, superchip. Pioneer DEH-P835R Head Unit, Rockford Fosgate 200a1 pushing 2 RF 10" subs, components and another amp will go in when funds are allocated! Just put on Pirelli Scorpion A/T 255/75/15. Est. 200 hp 300ft/lb. Torque! Not bad for a straight 6!! Also driving the girlfriend's '94 Mercury Grand Marquis.

Old 02-11-2000, 08:01 PM
Really Old "Member"
4XFord:
Bingo-Bango!!!!!!!

I try to play with M Troyers head as much as I can and it is all in fun.

However, now you are forcing me to go out and pop the hood on the F100 with the I6 to see if in fact the headers are one piece or two piece. I will report the results and sort of apologize to Troyer if I have to.

Ain't this fun?

Bill

Old 02-12-2000, 12:39 AM
Former Sponsor
Dear Bill Murray,

Thanks for your response. Silly me! I should have looked at your signature line D-oh!

If I get down to the Atlanta area, I've gotta come by your shop!

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515

Old 02-12-2000, 10:56 AM
Bill,
I could be wrong about the header thing, but for some reason I think there are 2. I think I remember something about true duals with a six. It could have been custom headers that I am thinking of.
Neal,
Unfortunately, I think CT has the highest gas tax in the country. The Gov was recently talking about a 7 cent cut to make up for the recent price hike. I am praying for that one. So, for me, making the switch to premium would cost around $30 per month (87 is about 1.45 and 93 is about 1.75), which is a healthy chunk of change. That is assuming I will still get 15 mpg. I avg. using about 100 gallons per month. I would love the power of the chip, but that is a healthy investment. Maybe I could get it, and just put it in when I am going to tow, or go off-roading, or if I just want to flex the 300!

------------------
Rob
89 F150 4X4
300 I-6, 5 spd
For Off Road Driving

Old 02-12-2000, 03:44 PM
Former Sponsor
I just love these threads! This 4.9 thread right here is such a great example of the value we get here at F150online. Having all these people that, even though this is a bit older vehicle and motor, know the things that work well, and come here to share that knowledge, excellent!

OK, F150online-touting mode off.

I have to confess that I have not seen a Clifford header for the Big 6, I have seen their units for others. Even if their header for that motor is split into 2 pieces, I agree that it's generally regarded as a "header", instead of "headers", since it's an inline engine for what that may be worth. Perhaps that definition should depend on whether or not the *assembly* has just one flange for all 6 tubes that bolts to the cylinder head, or are there in fact 2 separate flanges? Gosh, we can split hairs pretty well around here, can't we? Excellent!

Somebody who actually has one will have to let us know, like Bill Murray? And regardless of what you find, Bill, there will be no apologies of any kind needed, you go right ahead and "mess with my head" at will, it's fair game. I guess you actually have the Clifford header(s), so you'll know for sure, and then we can put this critical issue to rest, until next time.

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515

[This message has been edited by Superchips_Distributor (edited 02-12-2000).]

Old 02-12-2000, 06:52 PM
Really Old "Member"
Well, Boys & Girls, the sun shone today, so I popped the hood on the 6 Cyl.

And, the answer is.........Headerz, plural.
Got me Mike and 4XFord.
Next fun question is the intake. When I ran 2 4 barrels, it was "a" manifold. With the Webers, it is 1x2 throats x 3 and how in the world do I describe that, other than torquey!

The darndest part of this thread is that it has pretty well convinced me to not sell the 6 cyl truck and put it #1 on the list for rehab. As Mike T knows, I have a thing for the unusual. Inline Chevrolets, several, inline Buick Straight Eights, twelve in total and a couple of AMC Matadors with the 4 litre 6 engine. Must be a gene deficiency or something. Just love those inliners!
Bill

Old 02-12-2000, 07:51 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi Bill!

Thanks for checking that out for us! I guess that ends the great header debate? I think we're all right on this one.

Bill, you crack me up, if this thread has helped you to decide to maybe breathe some life back into that wonderful blueprinted and balanced Big 6, then it was worth 100 times everyone's effort here!

And thanks for mentioning those old straight-8's, there probably aren't many of us here that are old enough to have ever driven one. I've driven a couple of my Dad's many years ago, but I never owned a straight-8 myself. My father's were the early to mid-50's Pontiac straight-8's. Talk about crankshaft whip! I'll never forget rolling down the road of Hawaii, where the speed limit was never above 45 mph anywhere on the island, and riding with him while he pegged that 54 Pontiac (ugly beige color) at 110 mph. I can still see the dashboard layout in my head from way back then....great memories, thanks for the reminder Bill! And by all means, pay that poor loyal old Big 6 some attention!

All the best,

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515

Old 02-12-2000, 08:54 PM
Really Old "Member"
Well, Mike, I guess these threads just wander wherever they want.

Question, you mentioned Hawaii, are you an Army, Navy, Marine or AirForce Brat? I am a Marine Brat and lived on Oahu 1946-1948.

Dad owned, in some sort of order, a 1936 Olds, a 1948 Olds, a 1948 Buick, a 1950 Buick and then went to a '54 Pontiac 8 which was a bummer. That was replaced by a '55 Buick, a '59 Buick and then I left home for college.

BTW, Mike, those Beige Pontiacs are worth rather a lot of money now. Check out the Old Car Trader magazine.
BTW #2: I am now commited to doing a rego on the I-6. I may move the engine from the rusty shortbed to the pretty nice Longbed, but one way or another, that mill will live again. Thanks for the inspiration.

Quick Reply: Anyone running a superchip on the 4.9l I6?