Anyone running a superchip on the 4.9l I6?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2000, 04:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Anyone running a superchip on the 4.9l I6?

I'm pretty convinced I'll get one in the next several months but would just like to hear any testomonials out there from other folks running the big 6.

Also, any one have any times on the 4.9l? Any opinions on the viability of modding it? Will it ever keep up with the 8's?

------------------
1993 F-150 SWB Supercab 4.9l 4 speed auto w/ OD. Still stock.

Old 02-04-2000, 04:17 PM
Well, the superchip does change the shifting and adds HP and torque. But you'll never catch my 4.6l

Old 02-04-2000, 05:38 PM
No, Fast, I would have to slow down...to catch you...

Old 02-05-2000, 12:36 AM
Never say never... even if you're right.

Old 02-05-2000, 01:47 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Dear Foster,

Hang around, I'm sure you'll probably get some feedback from some of the 4.9 guys here who are running the Superchip.

Those Big 6's are worth doing some work on, as long as you keep in mind it's inherent design limitations. For example, it's a low-rpm torque-producing monster, it does that very well. They tend to respond to the same types of modifications that the newer F-150's do, they just don't wind as high in rpm's. So your best 3 mods in terms of best bang-for-the-buck will still be the Superchip, then reduce restriction on the intake side, and then reduce restriction on the exhaust side. And of course you can do these in any order you like, and they all compliment each other nicely.

It all depends on just how much performance you are willing to pay for, too. For example, there is a company called Clifford Research, their motto is 6=8, very appropriate, and they have a decent selection of go-fast hardware parts for those 4.9 inline 6's. Headers, cams, etc., so for those who really want to have some fun stepping up those 4.9's, it certainly can be done.

Most people of course don't go that far, but I just wanted to let you know that there is a vendor out there working on the Big 6, and they've been doing it for a long time.

Good luck with your truck,

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Online Superchip ordering system:https://www.f150online.com/scpp/index.html

Old 02-06-2000, 12:07 AM
Pastmaster, yeah, thats when I ran outta gas!

Foster, yeah, thats the thing. I AM right

Old 02-06-2000, 12:21 AM
Foster,

As you can see by my signature, I have done just about every bolt on performance goodie that can be done to this engine. I do not agree with Mike up above (sorry Mike, and long time no talk) regarding the header(not headers, there's only one) because it eats up your bottom end by creating too much flow/not enough backpressure. As Mike said, it is a torque producing, low RPM engine. The only think different I would do would be an exhaust that had a little bit of noise to it. I also just put on a set of Pirelli Scorpion A/T tires, I'll let ya know how they handle off road, on road they are stiff has hell! I managed to put 600 road miles on them the day I got them!
Also, do a search in the Pre-97 section, there's some good info in there.

Good luck and keep us big 6ers posetd!

Neal Coppola
Las Vegas, NV

------------------
'94 F-150, 4.9 6cyl., K&N FIPK, Mangecor 8mm wires. Gibson 3" Side Swept, MSD Blaster Coil, superchip. Pioneer DEH-P835R Head Unit, Rockford Fosgate 200a1 pushing 2 RF 10" subs, components and another amp will go in when funds are allocated! Est. 200 hp 300ft/lb. Torque! Not bad for a straight 6!! New project: '82 Stang, 351 Windsor, now on jackstands....blew up the rear end, oops!

Old 02-06-2000, 04:25 AM
Hey Neal sounds like you've got a pretty good set up, but don't you think 300 lbs of torque is a low guess? I think the stock engine has at least 280 lbs and the superchip should probably add around 30 from what I've read and you've done a lot more than that. Do you have any estimations on a 0-60 time or a 1/4 mile?

Old 02-06-2000, 11:07 PM
Foster,

I was under the impression that the engine had approx. 245 ft. lbs. torque, but I could be wrong and it may vary depending on year. As for the ET's, I have no idea, I still haven't had a chance to run it at the track. I'm guessing that it would vary heavily on your rear end ratio, mine is a 2.73.....sucks off the line, but is great out on the highway! I run 85 mph @ 2200 rpm's!! Engine just humms at the 2000-2600 rpm range! Let me know what your plans are and what products you're looking at, and feel free to e-mail me @ njcoppola@aol.com

Neal Coppola
Las Vegas, NV

------------------
'94 F-150, 4.9 6cyl., K&N FIPK, Mangecor 8mm wires. Gibson 3" Side Swept, MSD Blaster Coil, superchip. Pioneer DEH-P835R Head Unit, Rockford Fosgate 200a1 pushing 2 RF 10" subs, components and another amp will go in when funds are allocated! Est. 200 hp 300ft/lb. Torque! Not bad for a straight 6!! New project: '82 Stang, 351 Windsor, now on jackstands....blew up the rear end, oops!

Old 02-07-2000, 02:08 PM
Former Sponsor
Dear Neal,

Yes, I am quite well aware that the inline 6 uses a singular "header", my friend. It was simply a term I used in describing multile parts that were available, and quite naturally it should have been plural in that sense. I'm a former professional drag racer and engine builder, so I do know a few things, basic English included.

Loosing torque from installing a header or headers only happens when you do not use the correct diameter size for the primary tubes. Larger diameter primary tubes are for higher rpm, high-horsepower engines, with higher numerical gear ratios, not for low-revving engines with tall rear gears. Primary tube diameter on the modular V-8's usually runs about 1 5/8", for example. I just wanted to make that point to you, that the loss of low end torque is not something that happens *automatically* on all vehicles when you install any header or headers, it only happens when the diameter of the primary tubes is too big for your application, and gearing also affects this, as what really matters is your effective rpm range and power output levels. What happens is the velocity of the spent exhaust stream slows down too much, and you lose low end torque. This is made up on the top end in increased horsepower usually, but that is not what is needed on the street, torque rules on the street. Primary tubing that is too large shifts the power band higher, just the opposite of what these trucks need. Over the years, Clifford Research has offered several different sizes of primary tube for the Ford inline 6's of various displacement, from 240 cu. in. all the way up to the 300 cu. in. units. I don't know what they are offering these days, but it might be a big help to others with the 4.9 Neal, if you could post what diameter your primary tubes are on your header, so others don't make the same mistake. Another point is that the rear gear ratio has a lot to do with this also, as too tall a rear gear will only aggravate the tube diameter problem. What doesn't work well for you down low may work just fine on another truck with 3.31-3.55 gearing. Effective rpm range is the key.

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515

Old 02-07-2000, 07:49 PM
Mike,

I do know your background and I respect your knowledge, but please understand for those of us that are not as brilliant as you are just go by what we are told. I apologize if I offended you in any way! And by the way....how the hell are ya? I haven't been around much and I miss mooching as much info out of your posts as possible!! I hope all is well and that life is treating you well. Take care.

Neal Coppola
Las Vegas,NV

------------------

Old 02-08-2000, 02:13 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi Neal!

No offense taken; a lot of people read these posts, and I hate to look stupid, is all. I just didn't want anyone else reading these posts later to think that guy Mike is a *complete* idiot, and doesn't know that any inline engine is usually going to have *a* header, and not a pair of headers like "V" motors have, that's all. Don't worry, you & I are *permanently* cool! Brilliant? Not me! Believe me, I talk to peolple everyday that very quickly make me feel uneducated, and it isn't particular hard, either!

We haven't seen you for awhile around here, and it's great to see you back again! What's been happening with you lately, any new mods on that Big 6? I talk to people about your 4.9 over the phone quite a bit, as an example of what some people have done with their so-called "lowly" 4.9 motors.

Actually, I'm very glad you made that post, because it brings to mind something that I need to know to help others with, and that is, did you install a header from Clifford Research, or another manufacturer on your 4.9? And if so, can you tell me what the diameter of the primary tubes is? You made mention of losing low-end torque, so I just wanted to know if this is something that you unfortunately experienced yourself, or was this something that happened to somebody else. In other words, if I need to warn others about Clifford's header for the Big 6, that would be very handy information to have, so that's why I'm asking!

I see you have yet another project?!? An '82 Mustang with a 351 Windsor? Whatcha planning to do with it, & how far are you thinking of taking it once you get the rear end fixed?

Those Windsor motors are finally getting some respect these days, now that engine sizes across the board have generally been decreased by all the automakers. Years ago, we all used to boo the Windsor, mainly because we had the Clevelands and so many other 4-bolt motors to work with, but that just isn't the case anymore. It's about time the 351 Windsor started getting some respect! Ford Motorsports has a 351 Windsor crate motor that is rated, I think, at about 385 horserpower if memory serves.

Keep in touch!

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515

Old 02-08-2000, 07:07 PM
Really Old "Member"
A sideline 4.9 story:
1984, I purchased a running but rusty '56 small window short wheelbase pickup from Vermont (lived in CT at the time) with a trashed 223.
Ordered up a current year 4.9 from Racing Head Services in Memphis. Slight overbore, balanced and blueprinted, radical cam and worked over head (note Mike, head singular)
Installed Clifford header (singular) and a Clifford 2x4 barrel manifold. Attached all of this to a current 3 speed all synchro trannie and used stock rear end.

Wanted a real ugly sleeper, and got one.
Unfortunately, the truck was way over carbed, and I had to clean/change plugs every week or so.

Took truck to Jim Inglese in CT, and he installed a triple DCOE45 Weber setup on truck. Bloody ******* awesome would describe the power, but as Mike says, by 4500, it was all over. The truck would, off barely running idle, burn the tires off in 2nd gear.

Took truck to SC in 89, drove it a bit. Lost job and the farm in SC in 91 and parked it there in a dry garage. Guy died and my brother "rescued" it and said he would put it in his garage in SC.

Finally, last fall, I decided to bring it to Atlanta. Found out that good brother had put it out to pasture, unprotected, in a field for the last 5 years. 3 hours of fiddling and fooling around, and it actually started up. Had to juryrig fuel lines (mice), bleed brakes several times, change battery, plugs etc. Finally took off for Atlanta. Truck runs sort of on 3-4-5 cylinders, never 6. Brakes dart all over the place. Longest 5 hours of my life but we made it. Interestingly, once under way, it would cruise at 75+ and even on half to three quarters of the cylinders, would walk away from anything on the road up to about 100.

Ford: One Tough Truck.

This is an unpaid testimonial.

Bill

------------------
Bill Murray
99 Lightning #247
PSP Chip & Filter
Spare Superchip
Bassani full system TBI
Oxford White w/normal options.
98 Lincoln Continental Stock
56 F100 Big Window 272 w/TBird intake headers Fordomatic
56 F100 small window w/built 300" I6
69 Belair 390/427/400 Built
69 C10 Panel Stock
Soon: 92 Town Car
Tamiya 1/10 Lightning
Lightning & Thunder Rag Doll Cats.
E-mail MOSTOYSINC@AOL.com
htuken@BellSouth.net
HobbyTown1@WebTV.net
Kennesaw (Atlanta) Ga.

Old 02-08-2000, 07:41 PM
Mike and others;

I'm glad to be around a little more often, things have been very hectic to say the least! Even as I type this I have all of 5 minutes and am utilizing every one of them! Great to see all the "old" faces and plenty of new ones....keep up the awesome site!

On to 4.9L talk. I have never put a header on for a couple of reasons. One is that my Superchip did not eliminate my governers, which means that I cannot put the rear end ratio that I want in. I.E. truck tops out in 5th @ 2500 rpm (not sure of speed), if I changed gears, it would still top out at the same time, but speed would be slower. Correct me if I'm wrong please!!! Another reason is that I was under the impression that a header on a straight 6 eats up the lower end, and with having a 2.73 rear end, I don't have much lower end getting to the ground. Once again, please correct me if I'm wrong, I just want to go faster!

As for the 'Stang..... sad to say that I gave it up to a buddy of mine who is now hopefully going to work it up. I am in the savings mode to purchase a new lightning next year at about this time so I didn't need to dump a bunch of $$ into a stang. Trust me, I would love to!

And just a side note.... a guy I work with bought a '00 Expedition w/ 4.6L....one day leaving work he pulled onto the main street in front of me, I stopped at the light and went after him going up an overpass. He said that he had it floored, and I am very proud to say that my 4.9L left him seeing my a@@!!! Granted he weighs a hell of a lot more than I do, but beating a V-8 is beating a V-8!!

And to finish off, I have a quick question: I have heard mentioned "floating valves" alot about over revving these engines, could someone please explain? Does it cause damage?

Thanks once again, and I hope to visit more often! Mike, great to "see" you again! Also, I will be getting a picture of the truck with the sport tent on disk soon, I'll keep ya posted.

------------------
'94 F-150, 4.9 6cyl., K&N FIPK, Mangecor 8mm wires. Gibson 3" Side Swept, MSD Blaster Coil, superchip. Pioneer DEH-P835R Head Unit, Rockford Fosgate 200a1 pushing 2 RF 10" subs, components and another amp will go in when funds are allocated! Est. 200 hp 300ft/lb. Torque! Not bad for a straight 6!! Also driving the girlfriend's '94 Mercury Grand Marquis.

Old 02-08-2000, 07:44 PM
New Profile

------------------
'94 F-150, 4.9 6cyl., K&N FIPK, Mangecor 8mm wires. Gibson 3" Side Swept, MSD Blaster Coil, superchip. Pioneer DEH-P835R Head Unit, Rockford Fosgate 200a1 pushing 2 RF 10" subs, components and another amp will go in when funds are allocated! Just put on Pirelli Scorpion A/T 255/75/15. Est. 200 hp 300ft/lb. Torque! Not bad for a straight 6!! Also driving the girlfriend's '94 Mercury Grand Marquis.

Quick Reply: Anyone running a superchip on the 4.9l I6?