RPM Surges with Superchip?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2000, 05:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question RPM Surges with Superchip?

During the last couple of days my truck has while moving at an idle or stopped at a light had about a 500 RPM surge without touching the accelerator. I have code FUO1 for a 98 4.6L. Anyone else had this happen? Is it the chip? I'd hate to rear end someone!

------------------
98 F150 Lariat extended cab, Pacific Green/Silver Frost,
Grey Leather Capt chairs, AM/FM/Cass/6-cd changer,
full tint, color matched bug deflector, vent shades,
A.R.E. hard bed cover, Ultra type 50 polished wheels,
BF Goodrich 315 55R x 16 Sport Truck Radial T/As, 4.6L,
AT, Towing Package, Airaid, Superchip, Flowmaster dual
exhaust, Flowmaster 50 series muffler, 3.55 gears

Old 02-09-2000, 06:09 PM
Same FOU1 code, same chip - never a quiver in the tachometer. I'd suspect something else is the cause.

Tom in Tacoma

------------------
1998 F150 XLT S/C 4.6L Auto, 3.55LS, 4X2, Moonlight Blue, all the factory bells & whistles except for leather seats. Lund Deflector, Lund Premier Tonneau, K&N, Body-color painted Throttle Cover, blue wire-looms, Pentaliner S/R, Window tint, factory side-steps, Infiniti component speakers up front, Polk Audio speakers in back, Superchip on an FOU1 code(same as NASCAR edition). Tom in Tacoma (Washington not Toyota)
Go check out http://communities.msn.com/SS97FordsPics for the second best website for F150's

Old 02-09-2000, 08:04 PM
Pull the chip and see if the problem goes away. If the problem is still there without the chip then it's not the chip. I suspect a you have a loose hose.

------------------
98 SC/XL/4.2/5 speed/3.08/MoonLight Blue Metalic/Mobil One Synthetic/235.70S.16 Michelin XC LT4/AR-136 Wheels/Chrome Nerf Bars/Bug Shield/Aluminum Tool Box/K&N/Superchip/NOS maybe.

DAMN FLEXING DOOR CRACK!

Ford Engineering, reinforce the curve in the door! The cracks will stop.

Old 02-09-2000, 08:53 PM
Sometimes when I come to a stop, my rpm drops by about 300 but then goes back to idle. Ive also noticed that it happens more when Im coming out of punching it. Doesnt really bother me though

------------------
1999 F150 4x4 XLT BLACK ORP 4.6 5 SPEED 3.55
LUND HOOD SHEILD
K&N
FLOWMASTER SERIES 40
PREMIUM SOUND W/CHANGER
PIONEER 6815's(for now)
SUPERCHIP
AIRBOX MOD

Old 02-11-2000, 12:02 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Dear War Eagle,

If this is something that is non-stop, meaning a constant up and down rythmic cycle in the idle speed, that is what is known as "limp-home mode". Also, if you're in limp-home mode, you will have reduced engine power, so you'd know if that was happening. This limp-home mode is a default the computer will go to if it has a problem communicating in some fashion, as a provision so that you can at least limp home.

It's most likely nothing to do with the Superchip, as it's programming cannot change over time. You might try removing it and reseating the Superchip, but I don't think that is your problem. Another suggestion is to simply remove it, and see if this continues to happen, and that will tell you for sure if it's related to the Superchip. If it is related to the Superchip, it's most likely just a connection-related issue, and the Superchip needs to be re-seated. I doubt it, however.

Let us know what you find,

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Online Superchip ordering system:https://www.f150online.com/scpp/index.html

Old 02-15-2000, 07:10 PM
Smile

Problem causing RPM surges found!! The RPM surges got worse so I removed the chip. They went away. I bought my chip from a local distributer who installed it. I took out the computer and he had not removed all of the clear coating on the computer contact points. I removed the the coating reistalled the chip and tada....it works great. I guess it was going into the "limp home mode". I couldn't believe how much difference I noticed with the chip out. Much less performance. I didn't even like driving it. Be sure you get all of that coating off before you install a chip.

WarEagle

------------------
98 F150 Lariat extended cab, Pacific Green/Silver Frost,
Grey Leather Capt chairs, AM/FM/Cass/6-cd changer,
full tint, color matched bug deflector, vent shades,
A.R.E. hard bed cover, Ultra type 50 polished wheels,
BF Goodrich 315 55R x 16 Sport Truck Radial T/As, 4.6L,
AT, Towing Package, Airaid, Superchip, Flowmaster dual
exhaust, Flowmaster 50 series muffler, 3.55 gears

Old 02-16-2000, 01:48 PM
Former Sponsor
Dear War Eagle,

Your local dealer did that sloppy a job on the initial installation?!? Shame on them! (Just kidding!)

Actually, it's an excellent example of just how easy it is to not get all that conformal coating off, because it is so clear in color, so it's sometimes hard to see. That is one of the reasons why I scrape those contacts individually and manually, using a very small straight-blade screwdriver, instead of using the green Scotch-Brite pad that is included with the Superchip. What happens is that when I "shave", or "cut" that coating off, it turns a bit white around the edges, and then I can see much better just how much of that stuff is still actually there.

Last year a fellow F150online participant made a great post, where basically the same thing happened, only in his case, the truck wouldn't start. He made a nice post, explaining how he used a magnifying glass to closely examine that edge connector, and when he did that, then he could see just how much more of that coating was really on there, that still had to be removed. And once he did that, voila, his truck fired right up and ran fine.

This conformal coating used to be thinner and lacquer-based, on early 90's and older Fords. On late-models the coating is softer yet thicker, and silicon-based. Most 1998 & earlier Fords also have a coating of grease that has to be removed first, before you can remove the conformal coating from the actual contacts. Some 1999's also have the grease, and then by the 2000 model year, almost none of them have the grease, so all you have to do is remove the conformal coating.

Glad to hear that you're up and running!

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515

Trending Topics

Old 02-16-2000, 03:28 PM
Happend to me and I just knew I had got it the first time. I mean I had read and read and studied all about it. But once you see it right in front of you, you don't know for sure. After the no start and re-cleaning and then when you see that silver glowing... well...You know then.

Old 02-16-2000, 11:53 PM
Smile

I was having similar problems. I had my chip about a year. My truck would also have a random hwy speed miss, or would surge and bog at city speeds, sometimes stop altogether. I installed a Jacobs ignition and thought that was the problem. Disconnected it and still had the same miss, etc. I took the chip out and voila no problems, other than it ran like stock. Hooked the ignition back up, no problems. I sent the chip back, got it back today (16) and reinstalled it. My truck started right up, went for a test drive and so far so good. Thanks to the guys at Performance for getting the new chip back so quickly.

------------------

Old 02-17-2000, 02:20 PM
Former Sponsor
Glad to hear you're up and running, Fireblade!

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515

Quick Reply: RPM Surges with Superchip?