Mike, I need your help

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-1999, 01:50 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Post Mike, I need your help

I purchased a superchip about 1.5 years ago for my 98 F150 F0U1. I have some issues that need to be fixed. I am hoping you will remember the stock FOU1 chip did not work well on my truck. We reprogrammed it and it was better, However it still cannot be used due to trans issues (shifts too soon and 3-4 shift binds)and it produces lower than stock power levels. I really want it to work correctly and need your help and input. I have had very good results from my previous superchips and expect the same from this one. I am back in the Florida area for the winter and have some time to work on this project.
Hoping for your help!

Chris

------------------
98 SC 4.6L stepside, Gibson headers, Gibson single exhaust, superchip, Intake mods, Piaa's, high end audio stuff.

Old 12-26-1999, 10:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I would be interested in hearing more detail on your concerns, as I have the same computer code. E-mail me if you can
bracketracer@home.com

Old 12-26-1999, 03:35 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Dear Chris Cuneo,

888-227-2447. They have been waiting for your call for many months, as they (Superchips) cannot understand why you've said absolutely nothing to *them* since you were last there. Remember the nice gentleman at Superchips who you complimented right here? He's *still* waiting to hear something back from you, all these many months later!

So I suggest, like I have suggested to you *many* times before, pick up the phone and let them help you, or if you have any questions about this, you can call me, privately, Chris. I remember *all* the details of this quite well.

And just to fill everyone in, and to answer the other gentleman's question with the same code, Chris has been complaining of detonation at heavy throttle. I've kept all of Chris' posts in the various message board sections on this over the months, just to see where this would go next. And Superchips still, to this date, has heard nothing back from Chris.

The FOU1 code *is* a bit more susceptable to this than most other codes stock. FOU1's from the factory tend to need 89 octane bone-stock not to ping, although there are some that do not. You see, the FOU1 code was the most aggressive code Ford used for the 1998 4.6 automatic F-150, and was also the code that the NASTRUCKS got, for example. More owners of FOU1 codes have complained of detonation stock running 87 octane than any other code of F-150, by far, which may be why Ford discontinued that whole series of codes, as other than dealer reflashes, FOU1 was as far as they went. Just to give you some detailed info, we have found that about 5% of the FOU1's will need an adjustment to their Superchip program to compensate for local fuel quality, and that adjustment is readily available. (Superchips develops these programs using the pump premium gasoline in the Orlando, Florida area) It's a simple adjustment, and the work on that program has been done long ago, and is available to anyone who needs it. 95% of the FOU1's running the Superchip have not needed any adjustment of any kind, so it's a relatively small number of them, but it *is* something that is unique about the FOU1 computer code, meaning, it's relative aggressiveness in comparison to other computer codes. The FOU1 code will only be seen in 1998 4.6 F-150's with an automatic, and only those made within certain production dates. So the FOU1 code is a bit more aggressive, and it can sometimes need an adjustment to it's Superchip program, but it's still a small number, and very easily done. Superchips is happy to do this for anyone, all you have to do is pick up the phone!

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com

[This message has been edited by Superchips_Distributor (edited 12-26-1999).]

Old 12-26-1999, 09:10 PM
Thanks Mike for the prompt reply! I have a job that keeps me out of town and in California from April to November. That is why I have not called, I can do nothing about the chip reprogramming during this period. In addition to that I have had serious health problems the past 2 years. I do not mean in any way to flame superchips and I am very sorry if it seems that way!

Mike, a while back superchips worked quite a bit with me to get the problems resolved. I have very little if any problem with pinging now and we fixed many of the faults I had. We still have some work to do. I promise to make it a priority in the near future.

Keep in mind I think superchips makes a great product and I have had great success with them in the past. I had a turbo XR4Ti with 271 rear wheel HP (without the intercooler)more HP with the intercooler however I did not dyno it with. and a T bird turbo with 255 rear wheel HP. Both cars ran in the 13's and the superchip was critical for engine life and performance! I also now am involved in a project car (69 TVR Vixen---1800lbs wet) with a superchipped 2.3L ford engine that runs 12's in the 1/4. So if anyone knows what these chips can do it is me!

Chris

------------------
98 SC 4.6L stepside, Gibson headers, Gibson single exhaust, superchip, Intake mods, Piaa's, high end audio stuff.

Old 12-26-1999, 09:13 PM
Bracketracer, I feel that my probs are due to the custom nature of my chip and may or may not relate to your situation. I am sure Mike will help you out if you ask him!

Chris

Old 12-28-1999, 12:41 AM
Former Sponsor
Dear CHris,

Ahh, thanks so much for filling me in, I had no idea, Chris! Gee, no wonder they haven't heard back from you! I'm very sorry to hear of your health problems, I have some myself, and that's no fun at all. A drunk driver nailed me head-on in the 80's, and my health problems started right there, unfortunately. Needless to say, that accident cured me of drinking and driving, which, as a musician, I did for a number of years, like an absolute IDIOT, and I emphasize the word I-D-I-O-T! I do hope you're feeling better. All the horsepower in the world does no good if you can't get behind the wheel and enjoy it!

You might just want to give me a call, my number is below, and let's talk in detail about exactly what we need to do to get your Superchip squared away, OK Chris? I'm glad you don't have the detonation problem like you did before, but whatever we need to do, we'll be happy to do. Just let me know!

I also had no idea you were such a big fan of the Ford turbo 2.3 four-banger, that's a *great* little engine, isn't it? I'd love to hear more about your turbo cars, if you ever have any spare time! The Merkur XR4Ti (sp?), I thought, was a fascinating vehicle with a lot of potential. And Ford has made some nice blocks, camshafts, and cylinder head available for that engine, but then, you probably know far more about that with what you've built than I ever will.

Chris, just give me a shout whenever you have time, and we'll get you taken care of. It's best to just call me at the shop, or shoot me an email, but I'd say let's talk. That way, we can go over in detail just what you are experiencing, and just exactly what we can do about it.

Here's hoping you feel better,

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515

Old 12-28-1999, 11:34 PM
Wink

Hey I have that code! but it so happens I always run 89 oct in my stock cofigured vehicles. Now that I'm chipped and running '93 It's great. but I will say that when they changed to the winter fuel mix it does sound like a diesel if ya floor it. So I just go 3/4 throttle in the winter, less wheel spin too.

------------------
Andthensometoo ®
"Moonlight Blue" 98 F150 SC XLT 2WD 4.6, 3.55 LS Tow Pkg. SUPERCHIP, K&N Airbox mod. w/ "Cool" intake, Mobil One Oil, Bosch +4's. Lund Fastback, Lighted visor, Runninng Boards, Crome Taillight covers, Polished Steel Fenderwell Moldings, Smoked Bug and Rain guards, Shelf-it, Carpet dash cover, Red Wings license plate in front, Red Wings license plate frame in back, Little Detroit Viper hanging from mirror, Oh yeah, and one "Blacked-out" grill.
Gonna get my Bed rails back on, Finally!
Couldn't find the right Polished steel design, so once I modify the powercoated ones I just bought, I will paint them.
Q: who wants my chrome ones? Price:cost of shipping, or gas and maybe lunch if you live in S/E MI.

"Rocks don't move unless pushed, and neither do chevys!"

http://www.fortunecity.com/silverstone/daytona/843/

Trending Topics

Old 12-29-1999, 02:07 PM
Former Sponsor
Dear Andthensometoo,

If you like, you can send me your Superchip module and I can update it with a program that should stop the pinging at full-throttle on that winter fuel formulation. Then I can update it again for you next spring, if you like, when the summer fuel mix returns. There is of course no charge for any of this, except what it costs you to ship it to us, so if you're interested, just shoot me an email or give us a call, and I've give you our ship-to address.

If you're content to drive it like you are, that's fine, but I just wanted to let you know that you have this option for the FOU1 code.

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515

Old 12-29-1999, 02:32 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Mike T,

Not until ATST and I race. After being wooped by a V6 reg cab 4x2 I need all the advantages I can get. After all there is a cake at stake...

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier

------------------
00 F-150 XLT SC Flairside 4x4 4.6 w/5spd
Warn XD9000i, skid plates, Draw tite class III,
Rancho RSX Reflex shocks,
SmittyBilt Nerfs, Borla Cat Back
Modified Air Cleaner Outlet Tube,
Superchips

Old 12-29-1999, 07:09 PM
Cool

Oh yeah, Just for that....
Hey Mike how long will it take to send and get back?
after all a cake IS at stake!!

Old 12-30-1999, 01:09 PM
Former Sponsor
Dear Andthensometoo,

I can do it the same day I get it, takes me maybe 3 minutes. And I can ship it back to you just as quickly as you want it.

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515

Old 12-30-1999, 01:10 PM
Former Sponsor
JMC,

I hear you!

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515

Old 01-04-2000, 11:45 AM
I've got the FOU1 code as well (See ATST - we're twins all the way). I'll be pulling the chip this week to send to Mike for reprogramming (Ain't Mike the #1 guy?).

Mike, you really peaked my curiosity when you said that the FOU1 code was the most aggressive. How so? How much difference is there from one code to the next? Does that mean that Bracketracer, ATST and my trucks can outrun other non-FOU1 trucks? I'd really like more info on this. Not that I'd use it for bragging rights or anything like that - no, that would be wrong....

And a quick thank you to Bracketracer to pointing me towards this thread. (Nice pics Bracketracer...)

Tom in Tacoma

------------------
1998 F150 XLT S/C 4.6L Auto, 3.55LS, 4X2, Moonlight Blue, all the bells & whistles except for leather seats. Lund Deflector, Lund Premier Tonneau, K&N, Body-color painted Throttle Cover, Pentaliner S/R, Window tint, factory side-steps, Infiniti component speakers, Superchip. Tom in Tacoma (Washington not Toyota)
Go check out http://communities.msn.com/SS97FordsPics for the second best website for F150's

Old 01-04-2000, 02:58 PM
Former Sponsor
HI Tom,

Yes, the FOU1 code was originally developed for the 1998 "NASTRUCK", and was also used in many other 1998 4.6 automatic F-150's. It got the same power rating from the factory, but we know for a fact that the spark advance curves are considerably more aggressive just in certain areas of the program, but not throughout all the ignition tables, just in certain areas. Most of them will exhibit detonation at heavy throttle in the mid-range dead-stock if you use 87 octane. Usually the FOU1 code required 89 octane not to ping on heavy throttle even when stock.

It's just a bit of a fluke, and nothing to be alarmed over. Ford tried to give the NASTRUCKS a bit of an edge without telling anyone, that's all. Sneaky little devils, those Ford guys, eh?

And just to answer the question that I know this is going to raise, no, there aren't any factory codes you can have your dealer install to increase power in any Ford, other than the 1999 Mustang Cobra, which Ford deliberately overrated to try and keep up with the GM F-bodies on paper. And for that vehicle, Ford is installing new intakes, new computers, new exhaust systems, etc., and I just talked to one owner who said these changes netted him 37 **** hp at the rear wheels in his '99 Cobra, so Ford's retrofit for the '99 Cobra seems to be doing the job *very* well.

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515

Old 01-19-2000, 10:38 PM
Mike, after reading these messages I went and checked my code. It is the FOU1 code. I am planning on getting the superchip as I dont believe this code matches the performance of the superchip, correct. Might note mine is 98 with 4.6L and when I first got it I ran 89 octane but went to 87 octane not knowing there was a difference in codes. Will be going back to 89 octane until get superchip ordered. You previosly mentioned some ignition upgrades by Accell I believe. Could you tell me again what they are. Thanks

------------------
1998 ext cab 4x4 4.6 4EOD
KN Gen11

Quick Reply: Mike, I need your help