Have remote start but only 1 key, got a 2nd key, had both keys prog., no remote start

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2004, 02:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have remote start but only 1 key, got a 2nd key, had both keys prog., no remote start

So here is the situation....

I lost my 2nd key, then I got a new blank to replace the one that I had lost. So I took the truck to the Ford dealer and had an old friend reprogram the old key and the new key for FREE, so now I have two keys that work perfect with my PATS system. But even though I fixed the spare key problem, my remote start no longer works on the truck. I spoke to my friend at the Ford dealer and he said that a key or just the chip might be taped to the underside of the column to over ride the system when the remote start is used. I have looked for that under the column and have been unable to find any sign of a key or a chip. What I would like to know is if I could program the remote start as the 3rd key without a key (no turns of the ignition cylinder), if you know what I mean? Any and all input with this matter would be greatly appreciate, also if anyone has any further information on where a PATS override for the remote start may be located in the truck that would be great.

I also attempted to use the remote start not thinking and the truck would just turn over several times for about 30 seconds and then finally stopped. I thought that I would not be able to start the truck with a key because the system may have thought that the vehicle was being stolen and then shut the ignition system down, but that was not the case. I jumped in the truck and turn the truck over with out issue, but when I sit in the truck without the engine running and the key in the run position the THEFT light blinks about once every 2 or 3 seconds. So how do I fix this STUFF?

Old 05-11-2004, 10:42 PM
Uhhhh, you may want to post in another forum.

BTW, is this the Ford Gold system? PM/email me if so, I have the install/programming guide in pdf format I can email if you need it.

Old 05-12-2004, 07:20 AM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There are two ways to bypass PATS. Either you place another key usually in a hidden location near the steering column in a box, or you use another module that has a wire loop that goes around the keyhole. I have had two F-150's with PATS and remote start, both aftermarket. They both used the latter design, without a 3rd key.

On my first F-150, the instrument cluster had to be replaced and I got two new keys with that. My remote starter didn't work after that, jus tcranking without starting. I called my remote starter installer and they told me a procedure to teach the module the bypasses PATS with the new code. I suggest doing the same, contacting your installer.

Old 05-12-2004, 10:11 PM
That is an easy fix, here is what you do..

Get both of your keys, and your remote handy.

1. Put one key in the ignition, turn to the ON position, (do not start), look at the theft light, when it turns off, turn the key off and remove it.
2. Right away put in the second key, turn to the ON position (do not start), again look at the theft light, when it turns off, turn the key to off, and remove the key.
3. Right away hit the remote start (to start it), let it start the truck. Turn off the truck by hitting the brake pedal, or by the remote.

Your computer should now accept the code of the bypass (whatever brand, or style your remote start is using).
If it doesnt work the first time, keep trying. You will get it.

Hak

Quick Reply: Have remote start but only 1 key, got a 2nd key, had both keys prog., no remote start