Air Force One Intake Kit

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2004, 09:12 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Air Force One Intake Kit

Does anyone have Pics of an Air Force One installed on the new 3valve?

How hard is the installation?

Old 05-11-2004, 04:42 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi jp,

Well, that's not on-topic for the Computer Chips section, but because we have first-hand knowledge of the development & status of that specific part, I'll fill you in a bit................

You will not find any pictures, because there is no Air Force One intake kit for the new 3-valve 5.4 in the 2004 F-150 - it doesn't exist yet, so there can't be any "pictures."

The fact is, we here at Troyer Performance have been doing the R&D on Air Force One's intake kit for the 2004 F-150 for the past few months, and it's taking time to get the various components from them that are needed for us to properly test - and I don't mean what virtually all the other intake manufacturers are doing, which is only (at most) putting a vehicle up on a dyno to get power numbers, without doing data acquisition. That won't fly, as they're finding out the hard way. We do complete & thorough testing with full data acquisition, so we *know* exactly what the part is doing to the motor - not just on a dyno, but in the rear world, where the loads are much higher in these trucks.

AF1 has to mold the components, ship them to us, we test them, and then report back to them changes that need to be made, they make changes in those components, then send us out more different components and we re-test, and so the cycle goes until it's finished. At this point, we're still waiting on the primary stainless steel air intake tube to be done as we've specified, as well as some other attachment hardware, etc. So it's going to be a little while before Air Force One starts shipping an intake kit for the 2004 F-150's 3-valve 5.4 motor.

The problem is that the 3-valve is not like *any* other mass-air vehicle Ford has ever made - there is no MAF meter anymore.
On any other mass-air vehicle, you simply transfer over the existing MAF meter into the new intake kit and everything is usually fine in a properly designed intake system - but not in the 3-valve 5.4, as there is no MAF meter. Instead, it uses a MAS (mass air sensor) that is specifically calibrated to the factory air intake tract - and virtually any change you make to that intake tract will cause that 3-valve motor to go dead lean, and I mean like 19:1 lean - piston-popping lean. This is why virtually every manufacturer who has tried shipping an intake kit for that vehicle has had to recall them - though almost none of them will actually admit to the lean condition, as most of them don't even understand what's actually going on and the significance & effect of not having a traditional MAF meter.

We do have a few of the Airaid units that will not cause a lean condition for that 3-valve 5.4 F-150, and you can give us a call if you'd like more info on that, we'll be happy to go over this with you.

Basically, this is a new situation, and one that we warned all 2004 F-150 owners with the 3-valve 5.4 about months ago - we warned them not to make any changes to the intake until we had tested them, due to the new MAS instead of a traditional MAF meter being used, and the resultant gross lean condition caused by changes to the air intake tract.

We are trying to come up with a design for Air Force One that will *consistently* allow no tuning changes when their intake kit is installed - to date, nobody has ever achieved that across the board.

Right now, we can take virtually any different intake kit or change to that 3-valve's air intake tract and then do the custom tuning required to develop the new MAS transfer function so the motor doesn't go lean, and everything works fine - but the ideal is to come up with a design that does not affect the A/F's on any of them. And this all gets back to the fact that the 3-valve 5.4 uses a new MAS setup instead of the traditional MAF meter.

At any rate, if you'd like more info on this, or some options, etc., just give us a call at our number listed below & we can go over all of this with you so you can make a fully informed choice, etc.

Good luck with your truck,

Old 05-12-2004, 12:47 AM
My Mistake

Thanks for the low down on the Air Force One Intake, etc.
Extremely valuable information.

Thanks again,
John

I posted in the wrong forum by mistake.

Last edited by jpdadeo; 05-12-2004 at 12:20 PM.
Old 05-12-2004, 08:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Superchips_Distributor
<snip> and virtually any change you make to that intake tract will cause that 3-valve motor to go dead lean, and I mean like 19:1 lean - piston-popping lean. <snip>
Mike,

Thanks for your in-depth answer to jpdadeo's question. Your explanation regarding the potential lean conditions with the air intakes on the new 5.4L 3v engines leads me to another question that also applies to the forum topic of Chips/Tuning.

Is there an Air-Fuel ratio range that is considered ideal?
To break it down even further:
Is there a different A/F "target range" for idle vs. light throttle vs. WOT?

Whatever feedback you can provide is appreciated.

Old 05-13-2004, 01:12 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi jp,

No problem - in your case, it was actually best that you posted that here, just due to the pure coincidence of us doing some of the R&D on the AF1 kit for the 3-valve 5.4 & thus knowing it's exact status - it's a small world, sometimes.

For JohnAndDar.................

In Closed Loop (roughly any time you're up to temperature and at less than about 80% throttle opening), you're generally running at stoich A/F - 14.64:1 - in these computer-controlled vehicles. At light load, 14.64:1 is considered roughly "ideal." That (closed loop) is when the PCM is "listening" to the O2 sensors for A/F ratio feedback, and constantly corrects to achieve stoich A/F. When you go to full-throttle, then the PCM ignores the O2 sensors and runs off the commanded values in the fuel tables - the A/F's richen up to whatever is appropriate for the application at hand. Nitrous, supercharged, turbocharged, or normally aspirated - usually somewhere between about 12.0:1 and 12.6:1 or so in these trucks, depending on the type of program & how the vehicle is being used, etc. There are some situations in which you want to be richer than 12.0:1 @ WOT, such as in a very high boost supercharged application that is going to be doing sustained full-throttle running, etc.

Some tuners will go 13.0:1 @ WOT, as that is, in many cases, where absolute peak power occurs on a dyno - but I won't do that even on a normally aspirated truck. Trucks weigh a lot more and have vastly increased aero loading too, as compared to virtually any car (especially the typical Mustang), and the EGT's can get out of hand going up long grades, for example, at 13.0:1. Honda's are typically tuned in the 12.8:1-13.2:1 range - at those light weights (load - it's all about load), you can get away with things like that, but not in these trucks.

There's far more to this, that's just some very brief basic info that should address your questions.............

Have fun,

Old 05-13-2004, 01:53 PM
Mike,

Thanks for the detailed reply. That's exactly the information I wanted understand better.

John

Old 02-21-2005, 09:48 PM
When is the Air Force One intake kit for the 04’s going to be available? Anybody heard anything at all?

Old 02-22-2005, 12:19 PM
Ya know, this is precisely why I intend on purchasing from Troyer whenever I do my mods (starts next month).

I've been on this site off and on and Mike has the answers.

Add in the plethora of recomendations he's gotten from others and it's a lock.

Good info on this site and thanks Mike for answering everyone's questions.

Old 02-22-2005, 01:47 PM
Mike you rock!! I was just about to purchase an AIRAID for my '05 Screw, glad I didnt. I will wait till you come out with the right one. Thanks for all your help.

Old 02-22-2005, 10:06 PM
Just received moss motors spring issue on page 53 there showing a air force intake for 5.4 $339.95. I guess its time to call mike to see whats up. JPdadeo I'm waiting on the air force one myself. I wish I would of waited fo the xcal I got the 1714. Reading your post makes me want to sell it and upgrade to the x.

Old 02-22-2005, 10:16 PM
I bumped this thread up again because I too heard they were real close to shipping. Was kind of hoping Mike would chime in and give us all the low down.

Old 02-23-2005, 08:37 PM
1714 whats the x ? i want the 9100

Old 02-26-2005, 09:43 AM
Mike you have to give us the word on the AF1. I’m itching to pull the trigger

Old 02-27-2005, 06:44 PM
Former Sponsor
We are the people who did the vast majority of the R&D and testing that has gone into the Air Force One intake kit for the 5.4 3v engines in the 2004 & newer F-150's.

We have a significant amount of *our* money in the R&D of that Air Force One intake kit, and we did that based on faith from the years of our relationship - so we have more reason than virtually anyone else to want to see that intake kit come out well and do well in the market.

We have not yet been provided with a "finished" version of that kit by Air Force One - and as we have been saying for dozens of posts over the past 16 months, once that kit is actually finished, tested by us & deemed safe to use, we will let everyone know right here - and until that happens, nothing seen in any catalogs or on any web sites changes anything, no matter how many times that happens. You people know how catalog/mass marketing works - they have long lead times for their catalogs & web sites, and every single day you can see numerous products advertised that aren't yet shipping.

Most manufacturers of intake kits for the 5.4 3V have started & stopped shipping time after time, because they didn't do it right to begin with. Many of them basically ignored (or simply didn't understand) the changes in the 3V's MAS setup compared to the 2003 & earlier trucks, and just made the intake kit to physically fit & started shipping. A couple even put their kit on a dyno to test (at full-throttle ONLY, of course) - but this backfired on most of them when their customers were calling in droves to complain about lean codes, IAT codes, driveability problems, etc., etc. Well, Air Force One doesn't want that to happen to them.

The 5.4 3V F-150 is vastly different than all previous F-150's in terms of their air intake tract design & requirements for safe operation. We've tested every intake kit offered commercially for that platform that was available as of about 3 weeks ago. As things stand today, there is a grand total of ONE (1) intake kit that we feel is worth having for the 5.4 3-valve F-150, and that is the Airaid unit. There is one other kit that doesn't cause problems and can be used safely, but it doesn't gain real power, either. The Airaid gains a boatload of power - 15 Hp at the rear wheels at just 2000 rpm, and 20 HP at the rear wheels at just 3000 rpm.

In all fairness to the great guys at Air Force One, they have told us that some additional changes were made after our last round of testing for them, and that they should have a unit here to us shortly for us to test and approve of for the 5.4 3V F-150 - we hope so, and once it arrives we'll test it and let everyone know. We know how badly everyone wants the beautiful mirror-polished T304 S/S intake kit for these trucks that Air Force One is famous for - we want it, too!

We know that Air Force One has told some of their dealers (and us, as their distributor) that intake kit would be available by the end of this month - well, today is Sunday February 27th, so I don't think that date will be met, but then that's they way it is with new products! You really can't say when the R&D and everything else will be done until it's done - most of you have seen us say that many times with any number of different new products over the years.

There is more to this than we can say publicly at this time - Based on conversations with Air Force One over the past week, we have been told that they will be sending us a "finished" unit for us to test, and as soon as we receive it, we'll do our testing and let everyone know.

Everyone here for any length of time knows just how much we love & promote Air Force One - but those of you who know much about us also know that we are not compromised by any manufacturer or product line, either. We don't care what the name is on the outside, it's the product *inside* that matters. *That* is what we do, the work required to determine what products are doing the best job of adding power, performance, driveability, etc., etc on these vehicles. That is why so many people come to us for their products - the smart ones, who know doing business with us is ultimately what makes it possible for us to be able to do the kind of testing R&D, etc., that we do in order to actually be able to determine which products are safe, which are "best" regardless of cost, which are "the best bang for the buck," etc., etc. And for that kind of trust, we are deeply grateful to all of our customers!

We'll let you know as soon as we see the new units, gang!

Quick Reply: Air Force One Intake Kit