1715 vs 9100

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2004, 05:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking 1715 vs 9100

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to hear from anyone that may have had the 1715 that has now gone for a 9100 Microtuner and what you thought of them both. I am still kinda undecided. I have a birthday coming up this summer and Im trying to figure out which one to order.

Mike - I spoke with Anita today about the above regarding some up front info and pricing. She was very pleasant and informative and a pleasure to speak to. Just wanted to pass that along as it meant a lot to me!

I hope to be calling you back in the near future for a purchase!

Jag

Old 05-18-2004, 05:54 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Jag,

Good to see you again!

One person's recent feedback you;d probably enjoy reading is that from Phil - "openclasspro" is his screen name here.

He's had and tested the 1715, the Diablo chip, and then our custom tuning in the 9100 - and our tuning in the 9100 blew them away. Just do a quick search on "9100" & "openclasspro" and you should see a number of good posts with that exact info you want.

Good luck!

Old 05-18-2004, 07:42 PM
Thanks Mike I sure will!

Jag

Old 05-19-2004, 09:38 AM
1715 v 9100

I've got both and the 9100 for sure! Right now am waiting for the newest tune from mike and using the 1715 set to 91 performance. When the new tunes show-up will switch. Get the software kit so you can update the 9100 at home via email, that way when you change something or need new tune you don't have to send the thing back. 1715 is GREAT over the stock tune and worth the money, a few bucks more and you can have that tune set to KILL!

The 1715 lets you choose pressure and tranny shift points along with the octane setting.

In the 9100 its done by mike after a long talk about what you want and what he can do. We talked for over an hour the first time. HE IS THE MAN! PERIOD!

9100 and you won't be disappointed, and openclasspro has the time slips to prove.

Randy

Old 05-19-2004, 07:31 PM
I am in the process of doing this myself. I originally had the single program Superchip, then went to the 1715, then installed a supercharger that came with a Diablo sport, and am now talking to Mike about the 9100. From what I hear, I will be more than satisfied with the 9100's performance, plus I can finally have multiple programs. I also really like having the fine tuning capability and code reader option.

Old 05-21-2004, 04:09 PM
Thanks to all for the replys. After doing the research, I am definitely going to go with the 9100. Just gotta wait a bit longer before I all up Mike T to order.

Thanks again all!

Jag

Old 05-21-2004, 10:14 PM
Cool computer chip for 4.2

Hi Mike, I'm saving my money to purchase one of your computer upgrade chips. Although I'd like to get a 9100, my budget won't support the purchase at this time. I'll be buying the chip sometime around the middle of June. What I need to know is what you need to know to set-up the chip. Is the iformation you need available by researching the VIN number, etc. etc.. If you need me to call you let me know. As soon as I find what kind of information you need I'll start putting it together.
After reading all the high praise from others in the group about the changes in performance after the chip in installed I'm really looking forward to the day I install mine. I just wonder why Ford dropped the ball and installed the chip that comes stock.

Looking forward to hearing from you, Grunt

Old 05-23-2004, 02:00 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Grunt,

The info we need we take at the time you place your order - which are things like year, make, model, which engine, manual or automatic transmission, the vehicle's computer code & any other performance modifications present on the vehicle.

The VIN# doesn't give us relevant info for tuning in FoMoCo vehicles, generally speaking - though it sometimes does in GM vehicles, for example.

The only thing you really need in the way of "out of the ordinary" information for us is just to locate & identify your truck's computer code, & here's how: Open the front door on the passenger side, of the vehicle, then look in the front part of the door frame, in the area of the door hinges - in that general area, you should see a small sticker (usually white) that has 3 letters followed by 1 number on it - like ACS1, or XXA3, etc. There are many different codes, but always in that same format of 3 letters and 1 number. If you have any trouble locating your truck's computer code stickers, just give us a call & we can help you find it.

What has to be remembered about the stock tuning is that the automakers (all of them) make many compromises designed to help them sell the highest number of vehicles. The first of which is tuning these trucks to run on low-grade 87 octane fuel - but the most basic tenant of "performance tuning" is to retune the engine specifically for the use of good quality premium gasoline, to unlock significant additional power. We can provide multi-program products so you can have performance tunes for both regular and premium gas - as always, the largest power gains come on premium gas, and roughly 95% of the people here are using our multi-program type tuning products, either a multi-program chip or the multi-program Micro Tuners, so they can have ultimate flexibility, and can run the vehicle on any octane level of fuel, should they want to operate the vehicle on 87 octane fuel sometimes, etc.

In the case of the 4.2 V6, there are some aspects of the tuning from the factory that can be improved upon significantly, even on 87 octane fuel - a number of the V6's can't even go open loop from the factory, for example. Also, the 4.2 V6 is inherently weak below 2500 rpm, and that can be cured via proper tuning even on 87 octane fuel - now this specific aspect is something that is unique to the 4.2 V6, and not shared with the V8 F-150's.

All automakers make compromises in the stock tuning that are designed to help them sell the highest possible number of vehicles - so they induce slippage in the automatic transmissions in an effort to make the driver not be able to feel a gear change, use massive torque management in both manuals & automatics, tune for the cheapest possible fuel (one of the worst things you can do to your engine is buy gas based on price), force the vehicle to stay in closed loop for as long as possible, in some cases never allowed open loop operation, and on and on.............

The bottom line is, there are always areas where we can improve significantly upon the performance of the vehicle - and also improve driveability - and in many cases, fuel mileage tends to go up too, all else being equal.

We have to give the automakers credit where credit is due - they create & engineer some amazing things - Ford builds the vehicles all of us here *love,* let us not forget. And like any vehicle, there is always room for personalization/improvement in appearance as well as in what really counts with most of us here, the actual performance of the vehicle. The automakers hand us a vehicle they can be extremely proud of, that is tough, made to do everything from daily driver to towing tons of weight thru mountains, and everything else these vehicles can do - then it's up to each individual owner to "finalize," to make them like we really want them with a few tweaks here & there. Remember, Ford's intention wasn't "performance vehicle" when they built the F-150. It's not intended to be a "performance" vehicle from the factory (that's what the Lightning is for), and that generally means there's plenty of room for improvement in the sheer performance of the vehicle, in numerous aspects. But even in factory "performance" vehicles (like the Lightning), there is still much room for improvement in many aspects of performance - and that's the job of us in the performance aftermarket.

Talk to you soon,

Old 05-24-2004, 06:59 PM
I have the 9100 with a 4 lber and could not be happier. Definatly woke the truck up.

Old 05-30-2004, 07:17 PM
Question question about "term"

Hi again Mike,
Don't want to sound too out of the loop, but what does the term "open loop" refer to. You lost me on that one.

Thanks, Grunt180

Quick Reply: 1715 vs 9100