Mike! Question on cylinder heads tune!

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2004, 03:06 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mike! Question on cylinder heads tune!

I've got a set of NPI heads, and I'm getting a professional P&P done on them in the next few weeks, then loading them with Mustang GT running gear. My question is, will I need to get an A/F chart from a dyno for a tune, or do you already have a tune available for this? There won't be any bump in the c/r because I'm staying with the NPI setup.

Also, should I opt for a 3-angle valve job? Or just go with a standardized P&P? At any rate, I will be trying to call you this week sometime.

Thanks!
-Flea

Old 05-20-2004, 07:23 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Flea,

Good to see you again!

Some of this is off-topic for the Computer Chips section my friend, so we really can't get into this in detail here, but I'll go over a couple of things just quickly..............

Briefly................................

There is significant variance from one company (or machine shop) to the next in terms of porting and the results - it's not just more CFM, in other words - there are usually (in the better CNC programs) textures to deal with that can affect timing, etc. So there really isn't any one set "tune for ported heads," for example - even when using the Mustang GT cams (which will give you a nice smooth idle & more valve lift).

We'll need to do full datalogging on the vehicle for that kind of tune, though we can do a decent "baseline" tune so you can get up & running, so you can get it to a dyno - then dial in the tuning from there. There is no substitute for getting full datalog info when doing "significant" mods - like ported heads & cams - and not just wideband A/F's from the dyno, but *complete* data acquisition.

We provide complete instruction on that to our custom tuning customers - we send them all the parameters to datalog & how to do it, advise them on what to use to do that with, etc. Then we tune based on that hard data.

As you probably already know by now, to go over this properly you'll need to contact us off the boards when you get a chance, so we can go over this with you thoroughly, etc.

In general, a 5-angle job is "best," but whether that can really be done depends on what they're doing in the CNC program to the heads to begin with, along with what size valves are used - sometimes there just isn't enough room for 5 angles on the valve seat, even with *stock* sized valves - it all depends on the porting/bowl work done in the combustion chamber. If there's enough room left for a proper seat width on the final angle, then yes, we prefer doing 5-angles. However, a 3-angle job sometimes has to suffice, and that's fine.

Talk to you soon,

Old 05-20-2004, 09:39 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
then loading them with Mustang GT running gear.
i cant say with 100% confidense, but i think that the gt cams and the truck cams are the same. i dont know if this is true just for the pi heads and cams or all of them. would be interesting to see if they have the same part numbers and if there are any specs that you could compair the truck cams to gt cams.

Old 05-21-2004, 06:06 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
HI!... I can't remember the exact #'s but the MUSTANG GT cams are in the low 0.500 lift range where the 5.4 truck cams are in the very high 0.400 lift range. I do know they are not the same cams.

Quick Reply: Mike! Question on cylinder heads tune!