Hemi War

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2004, 02:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Hemi War

HELLO. I FINALLY RACED A HEMI RAM IN MY 97 F150 5.4 . FROM A DEAD STOP LIGHT TO LIGHTHE PUT NOSE ON ME BUT DIDN'T PULL AWAY . WE HIT 70-75MPH. FROM A 60 STOMP HE WALKED ME PRETTY HARD. HARD ENOUGH THAT I LIFTED AROUND 80MPH. I HAVE A HYPERTECH MODULE,ELECTRIC FAN, PRO M MASS AIR 75MM T/B AND COLD AIR. I THINK MY 3.55 GEARS ARE NEXT. I ALSO HAVE 2002 MUSTANG GT CAMS BUT HAVE NOT INSTALLED THEM YET. ANYBODY WITH N/A 5.4'S DOING WELL AGAINST THE COMP.?
P.S. I DID RIP APART A TUNDRA WANNA-BE FULL SIZE WITH 4.7 AND DUALS.

Old 05-22-2004, 03:02 PM
Uh, did you have a question or comment about a chip/programmer?

Old 05-22-2004, 03:52 PM
HELLO . SORRY I AM ALITTLE GREEN.(OBVIOUSLY RIGHT.) I WAS WONDERING WHAT OTHER 97/98 TRUCKS ARE RUNNING. CHIPWISE? I WANT TO GO TO THE SUPERCHIP BUT DON'T KNOW IF IT WOULD BE WORTH THE MONEY.

Old 05-22-2004, 04:05 PM
i'm not really into the whole street racing seen, but i don't mind doing a little light to light action. my setup's worked pretty good (you can see it in my sig), and i'm getting ready to go to the 4.10 gears (from 3.55) for a little more get up and go. also don't type in all caps...it's just rude (considered yelling)

ooh and you said 3.55 gears are next...if that means you're looking for some 3.55 gears then give me an email and i'll hook you up cheap with mine, since i'll be going to 4.10's

Last edited by payableondeath6; 05-22-2004 at 04:07 PM.
Old 05-22-2004, 10:34 PM
custom

you need a custom burn for that mass air flow sensor- you are running too lean!- i highly recommend superchips 9100 tuner by mike troyer!

Old 05-23-2004, 03:32 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

HI!... I guess you could say my 5.4 runs good! LOL!

HEMI's?????? No problem!

Old 05-23-2004, 03:57 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
ezparts. since you work a t a dealership and have access to part numbers. do you know?

did ford change the cams when they switched to pi heads. are the 4.6 cams from the 4.6 mustang, 4.6 truck and 5.4 truck the same or different, if different what are the part numbers.

i know that the new 3-v 4.6 mustang and 3-v 5.4 truck use the same cam.

Trending Topics

Old 05-23-2004, 04:03 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi ez,

What "openclasspro" mentioned is right, you do have a problem with your current configuration - specifically, using that aftermarket MAF (in your case, a Pro-M) without having a custom MAF transfer function done causes the motor to run leaner. Additionally, you're using it along with a performance chip that most likely was not a *custom* tune for that Pro-M MAF meter (which requires complete datalogging & developing a new MAF transfer function) - which will make you run even leaner in most cases, as well as having more spark advance, a potentially dangerous combination. And the manufacturers of aftermarket MAF's generally claim it's "OK" to use their MAF meters with the stock factory tuning or with any chip - wrong answer.

The problem with aftermarket MAF's (not just Pro-M, by the way)is that their calibrations vary significantly, and generally cause the engine to run lean. And if it's a MAF calibrated for a larger-than-stock injector size, then it's also going to throw the base loading off, causing the PCM to pull from too low in the load tables and deliver too much timing. These are things you generally don't get check engine lights over, either, so we warn people not to feel everything is OK just because there is no check engine (SES) light glowing on the dash.

We recommend using aftermarket MAF's *only* in situations where HP is going to significantly exceed about 550-600 HP at the flywheel. For 300-600 HP V8 applications, the Ford 90mm unit does a fine job, costs less, and it's calibration is very consistent - so consistent that we can provide a tune with an appropriate MAF transfer function so it works properly right out of the box.

My advice? Before spending money changing your 3.55 gears for a set of 410's, you first need to get that aftermarket MAF off of there (either go back to the stock MAF, or use a 90mm unit from the SVT Lightning - and if you use the 90mm unit, you'll need a custom tune). And if you want to see some nice power & performance gains, then have us do a proper custom tune for that truck. Doing that (meaning changing the MAF either back to stock or a 90mm Ford unit and having us do a tune for you) will get you more power & performance gain than dropping in a set of 410's and continuing to run your present MAF & chip setup, and will be a lot safer for the engine. This is strictly up to you of course, you do whatever makes you feel happy - but that is what I'd recommend, as your present setup is not safe long-term, nor is it making the kind of power you'll make with either the stock MAF or the Ford 90mm unit and our in-depth custom tuning.

It's not that aftermarket MAF's are "bad" parts, Pro-M's quality is good, they certainly make a nice MAF meter - but it's the actual *calibration* of that MAF that, when installed on a vehicle that has not had a custom tune done to develop a new MAF transfer function, causes problems like the engine running leaner. You can see it in the fuel trims in closed loop, and in the A/F's in open loop.

So right now, I'd concentrate on getting that truck set up so it's safer to run and gets significantly better performance, too - with either the stock MAF or a 90mm Ford unit, and having us do a custom performance tune. Then you can go on to do other things, like those 4.10 gears, for example.

With regard to the new HEMI's, they aren't that strong off the line - in fact, with nothing more than our tuning, our 6200 lb. 2004 5.4 F-150 4x4 SuperCrew Lariat pulled more mph in the 1/8th mile than a half-ton HEMI. We can get your truck's performance up to where it can easily dust of HEMI's, too.

Neal's truck can easily dispatch HEMI's at any speed, as can many other trucks here. It's a matter of selecting the best bang-for-the-buck mods, and making sure that each individual modification you do is done using the best part for the job in each respective area - the best tuning, the best intake, the best cat-back exhaust system, and so on. We've specialized in F-150 performance for 12 years, and have done a lot of R&D with numerous aftermarket performance manufacturers, so many Ford truck & SUV owners come to us for help modifying their trucks for more performance. That way they get the best performance gains for the least cost, avoid mistakes, compromises, get the best F-150 tuning, etc.

If you'd like to go over any of this in more detail, feel free to give us a call at our number listed below - we're happy to help.

Have fun, & best of luck whatever you decide!

Old 05-23-2004, 04:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Hemi War

Originally posted by ezparts4u
HELLO. I FINALLY RACED A HEMI RAM IN MY 97 F150 5.4 . FROM A DEAD STOP LIGHT TO LIGHTHE PUT NOSE ON ME BUT DIDN'T PULL AWAY . WE HIT 70-75MPH. FROM A 60 STOMP HE WALKED ME PRETTY HARD. HARD ENOUGH THAT I LIFTED AROUND 80MPH. I HAVE A HYPERTECH MODULE,ELECTRIC FAN, PRO M MASS AIR 75MM T/B AND COLD AIR. I THINK MY 3.55 GEARS ARE NEXT. I ALSO HAVE 2002 MUSTANG GT CAMS BUT HAVE NOT INSTALLED THEM YET. ANYBODY WITH N/A 5.4'S DOING WELL AGAINST THE COMP.?
P.S. I DID RIP APART A TUNDRA WANNA-BE FULL SIZE WITH 4.7 AND DUALS.
I'm running a 98 5.4L (same as yours, non-PI), and with everything I've thrown on, I figure right around 300 hp:
K&N intake
BBK 75mm T-body
Flex-A-Lite 270 fan kit
ASP underdrive pullies
Pace Setter shorty headers (ceramic coated)
Full Magnaflow true dual exhaust w/x-pipe & high-flow cats
Yukon gears 4.10 gears
Superchips Flip-Chip
Factory Tech transmission valve body

I'll pull on a stock Hemi pretty good from any speed; I won't quite pull on them like Neal (he's got quite a few more things done and about 1500# less weight on me), but my truck holds her own. Just last night I ran a friend's WRX from a dig and from a 40 roll; pulled half a truck from a roll by 80, and stayed right beside him from a dig (AWD launches own me) until about 50 when I pulled about a fender length on him. There's plenty of power to be had in these trucks, but listen to people on the board and you'll see what is the best way to go about getting it.

-Flea

Old 05-27-2004, 06:52 AM
Originally posted by Neal
HI!... I guess you could say my 5.4 runs good! LOL!

HEMI's?????? No problem!

Oh, God! It's the "HP Freak" again.

Neal, how's that truck doing? What have you added since I've been here last?

Old 05-29-2004, 07:08 AM
I also raced a hemi

We only raced about 500 ft from a stop light. I have an '03 SC 4x4 w/ 5.4. Only mods to mine are Borla cat-back single exit and a drop in K&N.
His was a 2 wheel drive, 4 door w/ long bed and tool boxes on both sides. He had large duals out back; very loud.
Anyhow I beat him by about a half truck length for that short distance.
I was sort of surprised. Maybe he had a bunch of tools in those boxes.
I can't imagine that I'll outrun too many hemis though.

Old 08-01-2004, 06:20 PM
old thread

I figured I'd put in my story, even though it's an old thread.

I have an '03 SC FX4 with 5.4 and 3.73 gears.

My mods are MAC intake, 3" pipe from stock headers and MagnaFlow muffler. I had the diablo stage 2 chip at the time, and it was not tuned right. I've recently taken it out and ordered the "custom tuned SuperChip 9100" from Mike Troyer. But anyways, I was on the freeway going to Phoenix and doing about 90 when a Hemi pulled up beside me and looked over...big mistake, I was looking for a fight with my new chip

Needless to say after about 30 seconds I let off the gas and it took about 2 miles for my speedometer to start reading again. I had to have been doing 120-130. Left him in the dust! I tried slowing down to about 70 to let him catch me again so I could laugh at him, but he stayed well behind and wouldn't come close...

Can't wait to get my 9100

Old 08-01-2004, 08:25 PM
Stock 2004 F-150 5.4L 3.73LS Reg Cab Short Bed and I pull on R/C S/B Hemis with the 3.55 rear end. The guys with 3.92 diff can beat me but not by much... maybe a truck length in the 1/4 mile. My buddy has a HEMI R/C S/B 4x2 with 3.55's and I run consistent .10 quicker in the 1/8th than he does and I am about 1.5mph faster too.

They aint all they are hopped up to be. Trust me.

When I get my tuner from troyer....oh hell. There will be no competition.

Quick Reply: Hemi War