Chip vin locked?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2004, 06:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chip vin locked?

Has anyone ever heard of a regular blue superchip being vin locked?!? This isn't a microtuner or flasher..???

Old 06-02-2004, 06:46 PM
i don't know if its exactly called "vin locked" but every traditional style superchip must be burned for your specific compuer or PCM code. This code can be found in many places on your truck. Even if 2 trucks are exactly the same in year, engine, package extras or bed/cab style; they most likely will have diffent codes. It seems you have come accross one of these chips and you would like to install it in your truck. First thing to do is check if you have the matching code, and if not, you need to contact superchips or mike at troyer performance to get the chip "reburned" for your PCM. Hope this helps

Old 06-02-2004, 08:04 PM
Thanks..I'm well aware of computer I.D. #'s,I guess I should have stated that..This guy has the same ID but the chip still wont work..

Old 06-04-2004, 09:18 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Roushfan,

No, there is no such thing as any of the traditional Superchip modules ever being "Vin-locked" like the Micro Tuners are - so that can't be a potential problem.

First, are you *sure* this chip currently works on this other guy's truck? If so, fine.

OK, let's guess..............scenario is (I'm assuming?) two trucks of the same year, make, model and computer code - one had been using the blue Superchip, the other truck wants to use it, but even though it has the same computer code sticker as the first truck the Superchip has been working in, the Superchip does not work on the *second* truck of the same code - assuming that is the case, and that this is *not* an installation issue......................what would cause that would be your truck has had it's PCM reflashed (updated) at some point in it's life. Thus it's no longer the same code it used to be, so the truck won't start with that chip installed. Which will continue to happen until your PCM's software revision has been identified and that Superchip has been reprogrammed to match.

Even though according to the code tags on both trucks they are the same, your truck has at some point had it's PCM reflashed to a different code, which would prevent the blue Superchip module from working on your truck.

Now of course, this is assuming that it's installed properly, and cleaning the connector of the back of the PCM requires precise work - the most common problem for any first time installer, or anyone who has done this only a few times, is that not quite all of the clear-colored conformal coating has been removed from the J3 connector, causing an interruption of some part of the signal - so the PCM cannot communicate fully with the external Superchip module, thus the vehicle either won't start at all with the chip installed, or it will start, but runs very poorly, smells "rich," etc.

The 3rd possibility is that the Superchip has failed - that is pretty rare, but does sometimes happen. If that is the case, the original owner still has his/her Lifetime warranty from the manufacturer, and can send it in to have it replaced.

Without knowing more details, that's all anyone can really tell you at this point. Assuming this is the situation (2 trucks of same code, chips works on one but not both), most likely it's one of those first two problems - meaning it's either the second truck has been reflashed, or it's a simple installation problem.

Good luck!

Old 06-05-2004, 09:13 AM
Great point about the reflash !! Thanks Mike ..I'm not sure of the whole deal...It's my buddies chip...It's for a Mustang ,sold it on Ebay ..I guess the buyer can't get it to work? I will forward your comments to my friend..I just figured the buyer is clueless..

Old 06-08-2004, 02:46 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
You're very welcome, & good luck!

Quick Reply: Chip vin locked?