Best exhaust system

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2000, 03:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Best exhaust system

I know this question should be in the Exhaust section, but I also wanted to give my experience with the SuperChip.

After installing the chip, I noticed a little power gain. I liked the shifting, much better. After driving it for about a week (mix of stop-and-go and hwy), I took the chip out. Ugh! What a dog. If I brought the chip to work with me I would have put it in on my lunch break! The first thing I did when I got home that evening was put disconnect the batter and put the chip back in! Much better! I should have done it a long time ago!

Getting to my question...I have an all-stock 97 F150 4x4 SC SB 5.4l Lariat w/only the superchip for mods. I was wanting to know what the best exhaust system is for power and sound. I'm not into making my truck loud, but I would like the power gain. Also, I'd like to keep the exhaust coming out the side (mine is before the rear tire). Who makes the best exhaust system to fit what I'm looking for, how much should I expect to pay, is it a bolt-on installation, and where can I get it?

Thanks for any input!

Ron

{i'll put a sig in later}

Old 05-25-2000, 11:02 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Ron,

Nice post about your Superchip experience. There have been a couple people that have commented over the past year or so that they didn't think they felt much when they first installed the Superchip. (most people notice it right away) But then they took it out, and put it back in a little later, and quickly realized what it had been doing for them all along. The additional power delivery is very smooth, and it can be easy to get used to it very quickly.

As far as what is "the best" exhaust system to install, that's not easy to answer. Most of the major name brand cat-back systems make about the same average power gain, about 10 more hp on the 4.6 motor. So whether you go top-dollar like Borla, or on the lower end like Dynomax's Super Turbo cat-back (a great system for the price, by the way!), your power gain is going to be roughly about the same, give or take 1-2 hp.

One thing you want to be careful of is not going with a tru dual setup with 3" pipes and killing your low-end torque. Most guys are going with a single system that duals out of the muffler. Or, you can go tru dual, but keep the pipe diameter to no larger than 2.5", and even 2.25" might be better for that 4.6 motor in a tru-dual setup, from a torque standpoint. Larger diameter pipes will tend to reduce low-end torque, but increase higher-rpm horsepower, which is usually the opposite of what most people want for these heavy trucks. Most people want good low and mid-range torque, to help move these heavy beasts.

What you might want to do is check with Roger Lemere, who runs F-150 Online's online store, the Digital Marketplace. They carry several brands of exhaust systems there, and Roger might be able to point you in the right direction with regards to what exhaust exits where, etc. You can reach Roger at 916-361-2510.

As far as exact cost for exhaust systems, they can be as low as around $200 or a bit more for a Dynomax or as much as $500 or more for a T-304 stainless steel Borla system. Figure roughly about $300 or a bit less for most major name-brand cat-back systems on the late-model F-150.

Sorry I couldn't give you more a specific suggestion.

Good luck!

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System

Old 05-26-2000, 11:43 PM
Question

Hi Mike T.,
I noticed you said a cat-bac system for a 4.6L yields about 10 more horse power on average, give or take. About how much H.P. would you say on a 5.4L engine?
And what do you think about the Gibson cat-bac?
Thanks
MGD1

------------------
Built(5-17-00)Delivery(week of 5-30-00)
2000 F-150 XLT 4X4 SuperCab Flareside, Black
5.4L,3.55 LS,Off Road Pkg.,ClassIII Tow, CD player,
Captain's Chairs, Keyless Remote, Rear Slider,
Shift-On-The-Fly, Tube Cab Steps, Ford Bedliner.

Future Mods: SuperChip, K&N FIPK, Gibson Super Truck Cat-back.

Old 05-27-2000, 12:45 AM
Cool

I opted to not go with those outragously prices systems like borla. I had a single 3" pipe going into a 18" glasspack that Y'd out into two 2.5" pipes to the back. My exhaust guy put it on for $160. That's a nice step down in price from the $300 range. The sound is bold but won't set of car alarms as you go by. The pack I had put on is made to keep the right amount of back pressure to keep my low end tourque.

------------------
1998 F150 XLT, extended cab 3 door,Pacific Green, towing package, 4.6L V8, 3.55 LS,

Performance Mods
SUPERCHIP, K&N FIPK, Dual Exhaust (18" glasspack), Bosh Platinum +4 spark plugs

Apearance Mods
Lund deflector, Profile Windstream side window air deflectors, Prostripe silver multistripe, Diamond Plate Toolbox, Diamond Blue(HID) simulator Fog Lights, High output headlights (80watt low/ 100watt high)

Electronic Mods
Whistler Radar Dectector, Uniden Police Scanner, 29WX-ST Cobra CB Radio, with a Texas Star 100watt modulator and a Wilson 2000 Trucker antenna. A Clarion Security System with Keyless Entry,

Audio Mods
Kenwood KDC-6011 CD player/changer control head unit.
JL 10" sub-woofer
Fultron "Depth Charge" amp 200w max.
4, TR570-CX JL Audio Coaxial Speakers (factory location)

Old 05-27-2000, 03:22 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
HI MGD1,

On the 5.4, it runs about 10-12 hp, give or take, so maybe 1-2 more hp at most over the 4.6, all else being equal.

Gibson is one of the more popular brand names, and people seem to like them a lot. They have a number of diferent systems, so if you go with them make sure to talk directly to Gibson, to get their advise on which system to match what you want, which for most truck owners is to gain additional torque in the low to mid ranges; as opposed to a system that gives horsepower gains up in the higher rpm ranges, as they make systems that can do either one.

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System

Old 05-27-2000, 05:50 PM
Thumbs up

Hi Mike,
Thanks for the info. I will contact Gibson and find out what they recommend for low end torque. I should be posting this in the exhaust forum. Duhhhhh... I must be falling asleep at the wheel

------------------
Built(5-17-00)Delivery(week of 5-30-00)
2000 F-150 XLT 4X4 SuperCab Flareside, Black
5.4L,3.55 LS,Off Road Pkg.,ClassIII Tow, CD player,
Captain's Chairs, Keyless Remote, Rear Slider,
Shift-On-The-Fly, Tube Cab Steps, Ford Bedliner.

Future Mods: SuperChip, K&N FIPK, Gibson Super Truck Cat-back.

Quick Reply: Best exhaust system