Superchip or Jacobs DIS

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2000, 11:17 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi WLF,

Thanks for your post, you made an *excellent* point about having reasonable expectations. I think that will help shed some light, or at least a bit of perspective, on this.

What I mean is, I personally do not view either MSD or Jacob's as primarily power-adders. Meaning, I do not think of them in terms of it being a traditional part to install for more horsepower. I typically think of them as being a part of the picture, and certainly there are certain engine configurations that I would absolutely want to have one, such as a supercharged motor, or if cost were no object, and I was looking for every ounce of power I could get.

I tend to think of hotter ignitions in terms of supporting extreme combustion chamber conditions. Forced induction, nitrous oxide, etc. So they're farther down on my list of "bang-for-the-buck" power gainers, that's all.

Perspective is a powerful concept, and my perspective on hotter ignitions is as a tool to get a job done, and not just as something to buy to gain more power.

Personally, I'd like to see more posted about exact results and impressions from those who have installed either Jacob's or the MSD DIS-4 units. I'd also like to hear more back from those using Accel's 300+ series ignition setup, which we've heard some favorable reports back on in terms of bang-for-the-buck from ignition mods.

While the vast majority, over 98% of our Superchip customers are very happy with their Superchip, you're right on the money when you say that we sometimes have to deal with people who expected it to do more for them. With these F-150's, and the massive amount of weight variation that is possible based on the configuration of the vehicle, anytime you add a part that adds the same amount of power, and put it on lighter and heavier vehicles, your performance results will be affected by that weight difference, of course. The way to think of the Superchip, in terms of equating it's exact hp & torque gain numbers to what the vehicle is actually supposed to *feel* like, is to say that it is, in round numbers, a 10%-12% power-gainer. The vehicle should feel like you have about 10%-12% more power, roughly, and that's an excellent gain from that type of part, which is why it's so popular. But it ain't a supercharger!

If we add 10% more power to a 4400 lbs. truck, it's going to feel like more than when we add that same power gain to another F-150 weighing 5700 lbs. So your point is well taken, and the F-150 is a good example because of how much weight variance there can be based on configuration.

By now captain oblivious may have more input that he ever cared for, but this thread has served a very good purpose, since we're getting to hear from more Jacob's owners, and have a good exchange of information. And that's what F-150 Online is all about!

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System

[This message has been edited by Superchips_Distributor (edited 05-26-2000).]

Old 05-26-2000, 11:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

CaptainO - In direct response to your question of the Jacobs unit being worth the money on an almost stock engine.....YES! When I installed my ignition my truck had a K&N filter and no other mods. Since then I have also installed a set of Ford Racing underdrive pulleys. (You might also want to consider these since you are looking for increased mileage.) Back to the subject, the Jacobs did everything they claimed it would. I didn't put the truck on a dyno, but would keep the product regardless of net HP and torque increases.

Mike T. - As I stated before, I am NOT knocking Superchips. CaptainO was looking for mileage. If Superchips would give me a money back mileage guarantee that would allow me to break even with the fuel cost increase, I would most likely buy one. I understand that the chip is designed more for power increses than mileage gains. From what I've seen on this site, your customer service is without question. My point was that Jacobs will let you return the unit if you aren't happy. Most companies won't do this.

Old 05-27-2000, 12:34 AM
Yeah you right I got alot of info on this subject. To bad I'm still unsure if I want a DIS unit though. I just can't justify spending that much money on something that doesn't do a whole lot. If it does increase mileage and power thats good, but worth $400, I'm not convinced yet. Thats alot of tanks of gas to pay it off.

As of now I think as set of bosch +4 plugs and MSD superconducter wires or ford 9mm wires will be most of what I'm looking for and meore affordable. By the way anyone now a part number for MSD superconducter 8.5mm wires fo my truck, I can't find it anywhere?
------------------
black 97' x-cab 4x4, 5 speed 4.6, black westin nerf bars, 6 cd changer and a 12 premier sub, pilot ground searchers, borla SS split rear exhaust, v-tech oval side window covers

soon: fipk, chip, spark plugs, plug wires, FIPK, IAS shocks and an electric fan

[This message has been edited by captainoblivious (edited 05-26-2000).]

Old 05-27-2000, 03:48 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi Signmaster,

No problem, I didn't take it as you knocking the product at all, it's not designed to be primarily a gas mileage device. It's a performance product, that happens to give most people a little bit better gas mileage, and we appropriately call that "icing on the cake", as that is not it's primary design purpose.

There is no way we could ever make any guarantee that it would always completely make up for the price delta between regular and premium. Now in reality, the additional fuel costs are minimal, at most maybe a few bucks a week if you drive a lot of miles and use a lot of heavy throttle, and don't see mileage benefits, maybe $150 a year or so. For most people it's even less. The Superchip can usually make up for about 12-15 cents per gallon, on average, in these vehicles, just to give you an idea of what gets reported back to us.

But the point is, it's not primarily a mileage-boosting product, it's a performance booster that usually gives better mileage as a by-product of that tuning process.

Whatever works for you, makes us happy too.

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System

Old 05-31-2000, 12:04 AM
Mr Superchips_Distributor : Thanks again for all your help, but I have one last question for you. I decided to go with bosch+4 plugs, new wires and a superchip. Now what set of wires would you recommend as a replacement to the factory ones. I don't think I need something as good or pricey as magnacore, maybe ford 9mm or msd or accel?

------------------
black 97' x-cab 4x4, 5 speed 4.6, black westin nerf bars, 6 cd changer and a 12 premier sub, pilot ground searchers, borla SS split rear exhaust, K&N genII, v-tech oval side window covers, IAS shocks

soon: chip, spark plugs, plug wires, and an electric fan, eventuall new rims.

[This message has been edited by captainoblivious (edited 05-30-2000).]

Old 05-31-2000, 11:52 AM
Former Sponsor
HI Captain,

I responded to this question in the other thread as well.

Out of those, I would probably go with Accel, to save money, and they make a good plug wire. Magnecor makes about the best plug wire for the street, but you pay a lot for it, too. The Accel wires should suit your purposes just fine.

Good luck!

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515

Old 05-31-2000, 08:51 PM
Well.
Here's my 2¢. I got the Superchip first. I got the gains the company said would happen. Gas mileage (for my driving) has never been better than 16.5 all around with the chip.

I later got the Jacobs for my '98, 4.6 and it doesn't feel like I'm getting the "monstrous gains" they proclaim. It feels about 1/2 of what the Superchip does and at twice the cost.
My mileage still has not gone past 16.5.

Without a dyno to test I won't know if there really is a difference. But, for the money Superchip is definitely better.

Quick Reply: Superchip or Jacobs DIS