Edge vs. Superchips ? for Mike

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2004, 10:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Edge vs. Superchips ? for Mike

Local company called Edge Products who seams to be rather popular with Diesel engine owners nationwide & has also been featured on "Trucks" on Spike TV had started a R&D process with F-150's a few months ago (much like Superchips does as well) & had asked me to be a volunteer with my truck & anyone else I knew with an F-150 so they could pull codes. So I went down allong with my neighbor who owns a 01' supercrew with a 5.4. I told them I already had the 1715 installed, but they said that didn't matter & could pull there codes anywhow. Anyway as I suspected they were not able to pull anything off my truck, but were able to pull the info they needed off the 01' sc. They asked if he'd be interested to have them install there new product down the line after they developed it & have them run some Dyno's wich he replied yes.

3 months later he has his truck down there for 3 days & they run there new product & do the dyno's, he gained 42lbs torque & about 23 hp. This seams to be inline with superchips claims, however the kicker was this was done on 85 octane (wich is the low octane in our area) I have never know my neighbor to run anything else in his truck, & claims they ran the new Edge product with 85 in the tank. I have not contaced Edge to verify this is the case, but really have no reason to belive he had anything in his tank other then 85. If this is true, how does edge get this typ of performance while superchips requre the 91-93 octane? I would imagine MIke does more testing on these F-150's then just about anyone out there & should know these motor's inside & out, so any insight you may have to offer would be appreciated

Old 06-10-2004, 11:23 AM
This is not Mike, but IF everything you stated is correct, perhaps the reason for the large increase in horsepower and torque could be due to the original stock Ford program was not producing advertised horsepower and torque numbers. For instance, perhaps your friend's truck had a stock program where the pcm did not transition into open loop operation under normal conditions. Perhaps, as some on these boards know, their trucks did not transition into open loop operation until say 9+ seconds of wot acceleration.

I'm no expert, but this 'could' be one explanation for large power increases even with low octane fuel.

You should be most interested in getting dyno results from your own truck. Were I you, I would insist on getting these dyno numbers from your truck when they finish their work: Get numbers on your installed SC tuning, stock tuning, and then their new tuning all on the same day. Then, you will have some meaningful numbers.

ENB

Old 06-10-2004, 11:40 AM
They ran the stock vs. tuned HP & Torque results on a graph..

I requested they run Dyno's on my truck with the 1715 compared to there program when I saw them to pull codes, there reply was "I'll speak with the engineer". I had my neighbor ask them again if they would like to compare & they declined my request

One might automatically think they have something to hide du2 there lack of interest in wanting to compare, but this seams to be a nationaly respected company especially in the Diesel market so I kind of think they just dont want to bother & maybe dont even care. This product there designing is "Brand New" I dont even think it's offered on the market yet & is still in the developmental stage, I think they said it might be out by late summer.

Old 06-13-2004, 01:54 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hello unthias,

Edge (a company with a good reputation in the diesel world) hasn't suddenly changed the laws of physics - they're good people, but they can't make more power than everyone else in these trucks on cheap gas.

Peddler1000 hit the nail right on the head, his post is the clue here - this basic issue he mentions has been discussed many times here before, and quite a bit recently over the past few months...............

Nobody is going to gain 20+ more PEAK HP on "regular" gas via engine tuning alone in a stock, normally aspirated 1997-2003 F-150 *UNLESS* there is a "problem" or "deficit" with the stock factory program that either prevents or significantly delays the transition over into open loop operation - where the absolute highest peak HP is made.

Now the fact is, there *are* a significant number of these trucks that do indeed have that problem in their stock factory tune - so getting that kind of power gain on regular gas *is* possible on some (but not all) of these trucks, I'd agree - we've been doing that for some time.

The F-150 has many, many PCM revisions each model year alone - more than any other vehicle made that I know of - with even the exact same vehicle sometimes having dozens of different PCM software revisions (computer codes, as we call it) in the same model year run. A fair number of them have this issue of a delayed or no transition into open loop - delaying or preventing the transition over into open loop (especially in light trucks & SUV's) is done by automakers (not just Ford) in an attempt to get better fuel mileage at heavier-than-cruise throttle positions by keeping the PCM running in closed loop longer - where it's always running at stoich A/F's (14.64:1), instead of the richer 12.x:1 A/Fs when operating in open loop.

In *those* vehicles, sure those kinds of gains are possible! And in those PCM revisions, we also get larger-than-normal gains on premium gas, too. That's a no-brainer, and nothing new. But remember, that happens only because the vehicle wasn't allowed to make a "normal" undelayed transition over into open loop to begin with, so that is *not* going to be possible on *all* F-150's.

There will be some F-150's that we can gain significant power on cheap gas, while others will respond "normally" - and it could be 2 of the same model year, of the *exact* same configuration. One truck may run 7 tenths quicker in the 1/4 mile "tuned" while another seemingly identical truck knocks a whopping 1.2 seconds off it's 1/4 mile times on the same type of tune & fuel. Revisions, revisions, revisions.................it's all in what Ford did in the original computer code.

Last edited by Superchips_Distributor; 06-13-2004 at 02:07 PM.

Quick Reply: Edge vs. Superchips ? for Mike