v-6 superchip

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2000, 09:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question v-6 superchip

Could anyone tell me if you have to still soider the ecm on 99 v-6? About a year ago I went to get a superchip for my 99 f-150 and it would not start when I put in the chip. They said I had to have some soidering done. I do not want to sodier my board. Does it void the warrenty?
Thanks

Old 06-15-2000, 01:12 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Badtruck,

This is something that only affects a very small number of vehicles, but on the vehicles affected, it isn't going to magically change by itself, those jumpers are going to remain open until they are closed, as they were supposed to have been from the factory. It's not a problem with the Superchip, it's a matter of Ford's supplier of that board in your computer not having done their job correctly; in other words, a mistake. And until it is corrected, you won't be able to use the Superchip.

It's not like this is something that affects all 1999 V-6's, or all 1999 Fords, for example. Less than 200 out of tens of thousands of Superchipped 1999 Fords have been affected by the factory's mistake, to give you an idea.

And no, this is not going to affect your warranty, as those jumpers were supposed to have been closed when the vehicle was delivered, so it's just a matter of closing the 2 jumpers that Ford's supplier of that component in error didn't do.

You see, Ford controls how each computer is configured to go into each different vehicle and what equipment it's going to control by jumper configuration on the board, just like on the mainboard of any PC, and just like on most IC boards. The only difference is the style of jumper that is used; in your PC, it's a moveable jumper block on a pin, and on your vehicle's computer, it's two small dots of solder, separated by a 1/16" to 1/8" gap, and that gap simply needs to be closed.

It's not like some extraordinary modification to your computer has to be made in order for you to use the Superchip, all that has to be done is to correct the factory's mistake, and close the 1 or 2 jumpers that control the communications state of the male J3 edge connector, which was supposed to have been enabled in the first place.

Please feel free to give us a call if you'd like to go over this in detail, ok? There are a number of options for having those jumpers closed.

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System

Old 06-15-2000, 06:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Thanks for he info. I think I'm Going to get a chip within the next month. What do you mean by there are a couple of options to make the jumpers?
Thanks

Old 06-17-2000, 12:31 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Badtruck,

What we mean is, first, you can have this done locally where you are, Superchips can supply the info needed for a local techncian to do it. We suggest using CB Radio shops, TV/VCR repair shops, etc., as they usually have someone right there who can do small soldering jobs. We can help arrange for your local tech to speak toll-free to a Superchips tech to walk them thru this easy procedure, or just provide the info, it's very easy. There is a URL at the manufacturer's web site that shows high-resolution color photos of all the various board designs, and the jumper locations on each: http://www.superchips.com/jumper.htm

Or, we can have Superchips do this work for you and overnight the computer back, free of charge.

Just give us a call for details, there is more info than we can go over here on the message boards.

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System
First National F-150 Online Rally Info:https://www.f150online.com/rally2000/index.html

Quick Reply: v-6 superchip