Flip Chip Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2004, 10:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flip Chip Question

I know that it takes about a tank of gas for the PCM to learn the higher octane program when I switch to the higher program, does it help speed up the process to disconnect the battery and drain the residual electrical charge? Just trying to save a buck when I switch.

Last edited by suvdrvr; 06-10-2004 at 10:35 PM.
Old 06-11-2004, 03:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
no

it works right away as it over writes the program. just takes a few miles for the adaptive learning to be full effective.

Old 06-13-2004, 05:45 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi suvdrvr,

Well, once you've been running on either of those Superchip tunes, it's not going to take 300+ miles to get the full effect from changing to the higher performance tune - more like maybe 100 miles of street driving, or about 4-6 passes at the drag strip.

It's not like you're changing from the stock tune to the Superchips program, you're changing from one level of performance tuning to a higher level.

In the case of the Flip Chip it's a tossup - you will get that program change a bit more quickly by clearing the PCM *after* you flip the switch, but you also wipe out all previous adaptive strategy adjustments. If you were going for best all-out track performance, sure, clean the PCM after flipping the switch to a higher power program and within a few passes, you're at max power.

But out on the street, I wouldn't worry about it - I'd just flip the switch and not bother with clearing the PCM after changing programs with the 2-program Flip Chip.

Have fun,

Quick Reply: Flip Chip Question