A list of EVERYTHING the SuperChip/FlipChip changes please

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2000, 01:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question A list of EVERYTHING the SuperChip/FlipChip changes please

Im planning on ordering a FlipChip within a few days. Id like to get a complete list of what the chip alters. More importantly, what my personal choices are in programming.

So far I understand the following >>> D and R tranny engagement delay eliminated, "firmer shifts", speed limiter removed, WOT shiftpoints moved up 150 rpm's, ability to make 5% speedo error corrections and, ofcoarse, spark advance and air/fuel mapping to increase power.

Does it change downshift AND upshift firmness?
Does it change converter lockup so when you hit the gas the truck jumps (and not just the rpm's jump..like stock)?
Do downshifts comes with less throttle input?

My biggest tranny woe is when I peg the gas (and it doesn't downshift)..the rpm's jump up but the power delivery isnt instant. Its like the convertor slips..then s-l-o-w-l-y locks-ups. I want it to MOVE when i hit the gas.
Info on exactly what the chip changes and what choices i have in the available settings would be greatly appreciated!

Jason

Old 06-30-2000, 12:38 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Dirtslinger,

First, no, we do not change "downshift firmness", there is no purpose to that, and no reason to. It may feel a bit firmer because we remove the transitinal spark retard that reduces engine power during and just after the downshift, but the actual firmness of a downshift is not changed, nor would anyone want it to be, that doesn't help performance.

I think what you're noticing is the downshift delay that Ford uses in these automatics, and we do remove that. You see, there is a 1.5 second downshift delay, and then a spark retard that reduces engine power, during and just after the downshift. The combination of these 2 things makes for a very slow and sloppy downshift feel, and yes, we do fix that!

Torque converter lockup is changed as well, as there is a specific problem during the last half of second gear, when you're at full-throttle. The factory program locks up the TQ prematurely, costing about 100 lbs./ft. of torque when this happens. We take care of that too.

And yes, part-throttle performance is enhanced as well, as the Superchip works *all* the time.

The best thing to do is to just give us a call, and we'll be happy to go over all of this in greater detail than what we can here on these message boards.

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System
First National F-150 Online Rally Info:https://www.f150online.com/rally2000/index.html

Quick Reply: A list of EVERYTHING the SuperChip/FlipChip changes please