Problem micro tuner help

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2004, 11:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problem micro tuner help

Ok, trying to install the micro tuner program for the first time. Read to disable fuel pump and instructions wrong, fuse 18 on 99 expedition. Prior I removed old superchip with battery disconnected. Replace battery connection, removed fuse 18 and plugged in tuner. It booted as soon as I plugged it in. Answer question then went to communicate and made a noise then an error message, check connection and try again. Made sure the plastic mold on the tuner set flush on connector. Tried several times and no go.

I then put fuse back in and started my vehicle with no problem. Tried again with same result.

Any Ideas?

Old 06-14-2004, 02:35 PM
Received a e-mail from Anita at Troyerperformance and she gave me some things to check which I'll do tonight, like make sure hood is closed, and doors. Hard to make sure it's plugged in good from drivers seat unless door open. Will work from passenger seat. On my manual I did find two places that say fuel pump, niether of them in the instructions. I pull #10 which just says fuel pump. I'll get it to work.

Old 06-14-2004, 03:57 PM
I've used the tuner before and have never had a problem with doors being open. I think your just pulling the wrong fuse IMHO. I believe it's a 20a fuse.

Old 06-14-2004, 06:51 PM
I'm going to give it try tonight so I'll keep you posted.

Old 06-15-2004, 09:43 AM
It worked, everything is fine. Do have to fine tune some areas. In performance mode now but will be towing in July.

Old 06-16-2004, 12:37 PM
Just an update, I reprogramed to Perf-Tow and boosted up 2-3 shift up two notches. Now I had a standard Superchip installed before going with the Micro Tuner, and the shifts where a little more firmer then. But they are nowhere near as soft as the stock shifts. I will be towing shortly and I hope these shift don't heat up the trans. But I think I'll be ok. Anybody have experience towing with these settings with the mico tuner?

Old 06-18-2004, 02:07 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi HD,

Yes, many people do a lot of towing with the Micro Tuner - and of course, you're always going to have less slippage with the Micro Tuner than with the stock factory program.

But don't think that the Micro Tuner or any "tuning" of any kind is supposed to ensure the transmission will live thru any kind of use/abuse, etc. - nothing can insure *that*. The only thing you can take to the bank is that the Micro Tuner is going to reduce slippage compared with the stock factory program - and that does tend to extend the service life of the friction materials inside the tranny - clutches, bands, etc.

Just FYI - the tuning in the "tow-perf" tune in the 1715 is *exactly* the same as what comes in the "traditional" Superchip module for each vehicle's computer code. Perhaps I should more accurately say, as long as the chip was purchased within say, the past 2-3 years and it has the "standard" Superchips tuning, then it's going to have exactly the same program as what you get with the "tow-perf" tune in the 1715 - which is the premium gas towing-safe program.

Don't forget that after you flash the PCM (and any time you disconnect the battery, too), you are clearing out all of the adaptive strategy adjustments the PCM has made to date - so just as your vehicle's owners manual tells you, the transmission can and will shift either softer or harder than "normal" for the first few hundred miles after "cleaning" the PCM. In general, adaptive strategy is going to attempt to optimize powertrain operations for the manner in which the vehicle is operated most frequently. These adaptive strategy adjustments start again from scratch any time you "clear" the PCM - and the PCM is cleared any time you flash it with the Micro Tuner, or any time you disconnect the battery for a couple of minutes. So it will take a little while, say, a full tank of gas or so (and maybe a dozen or so drive cycles at least), for the transmission's shift characteristics to "settle in" as adaptive goes back to work once again.

If you want more shift firmness when towing, that's fine, just don't get carried away - I would say to increase the shift firmness by not more than 2-3 notches above the centerline on those screens on your 1715, OK?

I hope that info helps, & good luck!

Trending Topics

Old 06-18-2004, 03:30 PM
ok I got it. Just came back from a little 4x4 in the canyon and everything is well so far. I'll wait to boost any settings till after I get Back from towing to see how things went.

Thanks

Lou

Old 06-18-2004, 05:50 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
You're very welcome Lou, & have fun!

Quick Reply: Problem micro tuner help