Question For Mike T.

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2000, 03:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Question For Mike T.

Hey Mike,

Well I'm still humming and hawing about whether to invest in a chip or not. My friends warn me against it due to the fact that they supposedly "wreck engines" although this is not founded in any research I have done. It remains a thought in the back of my mind though.

Anyway, a couple of questions for you:

1) How much stress does the perfromance gains of the chip (4.6L) put on the auto tranny as far as increased hp/torque? I wouldn't think that the stock tranny is so weak not to handle the increases, but you never know. Also, what about tranny life in general?

2) I've read on your website and posts here that the stock shifting program reduces torque and hp during the shift (that's if I read it correctly) whcih is part of the reason for the sluggish performance between shifts. Could you explain this to me a little better and also explain why Ford does this in their stock program? How does the superchip affect this?

I'll be away from my computer for a couple of weeks due to work, but I'll definitely check back on the boards upon my return. I know there will probably be a thoudans responses from everyone . . . it's appreciated.

Thanks in advance

1997 F-150 4x4 EC SB, 4.6L Auto, 3.55LS, K&N Filter, Cat-Back Exhaust, Spray in Box-Liner, Oxford White

Old 07-09-2000, 03:42 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Cougar Guy,

Anyone telling you that the Superchip is somehow going to "wreck" your engine simply does not know what they are talking about, I'm sorry. Obviously you've seen this in your research, and in everyithng you've read here over the months you've been around.

Reminds me of "The sky is falling, the sky is falling!"

Your automatic transmission is going to live *longer* with the Superchip, all else being equal. This is because we have reduced so much of the slippage that Ford induces with their shift delays etc. The additional 40 lbs./ft. of torque from the Superchip is not going to shorten it's lifespan, it's not a fragile unit that was put out already stressed to it's design limitations.

This is all part of Ford's "soft-shift" strategies for the female buyer/passenger. They use a shift delay to elongate and soften the upshift, and also a spark retard to reduce engine power during and just after the upshift, it's all part of the same strategy. And we simply remove it, to make the vehicle respond better and reduce slippage, which makes the transmission last longer.

If you want to go over this in detail, just give us a call.

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System
First National F-150 Online Rally Info:https://www.f150online.com/rally2000/index.html

Old 07-09-2000, 04:00 PM
Wow, that was quick !!!

Thanks Mike. I will most likely give you a shout in a couple of weeks when I get back from my work trip.

Later

Old 07-09-2000, 10:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cougar Guy...
You will most certainly enjoy the chip if you get it! I was concerned as you are before I bought a Superchip...but not anymore...well worth the investment! Mike is the YODA of Superchips and is a straight up guy!

I have had my Superchip out (and K&N filter) for a week now (replacement truck on the way) and I hate how the truck shifts and the loss in performance! The truck runs great and there are no problems at all after having had the chip in it...but there is a noticeable difference! Wreck the engine...no way! A point Mike made a short while back..the Superchip does not exceed any engine or truck limitations..it simply enhances certain key features...which make the truck perform slightly better.

------------------
2000 F-150 XLT, 4x2, 5.4L Supercab, Superchip, Styleside, Black with silver two-tone, 3.55 rear, class III towing package with heavy duty cooling package, Heavy duty shocks, 4 wheel disk ABS, overhead console, sliding rear window, keyless entry, dark graphite interior, in dash CD, factory leather wrapped steering wheel, Pendaliner bedliner, K&N air filter, rubberized undercoating, cabin filtration system, Bugflector II, 5W-30 Mobil 1, engine build 10/4/99

Old 07-09-2000, 11:54 PM
Cool

The super ship is the answer, it made my v-10 just jump and shift great, can tell a BIG differance in the way it runs and shifts. I'm not sorry about the purchase....

------------------
2000 F-250 SuperDuty SC,SB,4x4, 6.8L V-10 auto.3:73 gears, SUPERCHIP, truck teck tonneau cover, back country chrome step bars, Goodyear 305x70x16 tires
3:73 reg. gears
305x75x16 GY Wranglers
tonneua cover
westin stainless steel steps
HAVE A "SUPERCHIP ON ORDER ALONG WITH K&N FILTER.
Next move is EXHAUST,dual out the side

Old 07-10-2000, 10:55 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Cougar Guy,

Yes, that was quick, I just happened to be here at about the same time you posted.

Have a good trip!

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System
First National F-150 Online Rally Info:https://www.f150online.com/rally2000/index.html

Quick Reply: Question For Mike T.