question about superchip w/ 87 octane

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2000, 04:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question question about superchip w/ 87 octane

I am thinking about getting a superchip for my 97 f150 4.6. Due to the current high gas prices I would like to get the chip that is programed to 87 octane. With that chip do you notice any hp/torque gains, better gas milage, or shift points??? Has anyone had this chip installed? Does anyone know how much this chip runs? sorry for babbling but I am really interested and want to know if it is a good investment
thanks!

Old 07-28-2000, 05:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Let me answer your questions this way...

I have a 98 4.6L F150 Supercab with an automatic and 3.55 rearend. I've been running with the chip for over a year now. I've found that the actual cost of running the chip (with premium fuel and fuel mileage increased to 18mpg) compared to running without it (with regular unleaded fuel and about 16mpg) that it only costs me about $1.04 per 1200 miles extra with the chip.

That sounds like it's worth the added performance gains.

A chip programmed for 87 octane will not provide for added horsepower gains but will improve the trans shifting.

Go fer it...

Tom in Tacoma

------------------
1998 F150 XLT S/C 4.6L Auto, 3.55LS, 4X2, Moonlight Blue, all the factory bells & whistles except for leather seats.
  • Lund Deflector
  • Lund Premier Tonneau Cover
  • K&N Filter
  • Body-color painted Throttle Cover
  • Blue wire-looms
  • Pentaliner S/R
  • Window tint
  • Ford side-steps
  • Infiniti component speakers - front
  • Polk Audio speakers - back
  • Superchip (OH YEAH!!)
  • Flowmaster 50 Series 'Delta-Flow' w/ 3" pipe
  • Clear turn signal lenses

Tom in Tacoma

(Washington not Toyota)
Go check out http://communities.msn.com/SS97FordsPics for the second best website for F150's

Old 07-30-2000, 08:57 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi sboarder,

The problem with trying to make a chip for use with regular 87 octane gasoline is that you won't get much if any power gain, and that is why performance chips require the use of premium gasoline, just so you'll know. This is the basic principle of a performance chip for these vehicles, it re-tunes the engine specifically to take advantage of premium gasoline, and in the process, we pick up not only very nice power gains, but also we see nice improvement in gas mileage as well in most vehicles.

All that having been said, we do make a product called the Superchip Flip Chip that can store any 2 programs, and we have a number of guys here using them. They come set up with a program in Position 1 for regular gasoline, that also has all our normal changes to firm up automatic transmission shifting, top speed limiter removed, etc. Then in Position 2, it's the full performance program for premium gasoline, the same program that comes in the standard single-program Superchip. This will give you maximum fuel flexibility while still giving you maximum power when you want to run premium.

Please feel free to give us a call, we'll be happy to go over all the specific details and all the various options with you, so you can give it some thought.

Best of luck with your truck,

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System
First National F-150 Online Rally Info:https://www.f150online.com/rally2000/index.html

Quick Reply: question about superchip w/ 87 octane