question for MikeT

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2000, 08:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post question for MikeT

Mike,

I have a '97 f150 4.6L 4WD w/auto transmission. I'm thinking of buying the flipchip. I have a few questions:

How is the 'flip' done? is this accomplished with a toggle on the dash?

I drive under two completely different conditions: open road at ~75mph in the wee hours (0100-0630 PST) on the weekends and a murderous commute during the weekdays--85 miles a day at an average speed of 35 mph.

Premium is $2.16, regular is $1.83 (somebody ought to be shot). I think I want to use the 87 Octane setting for the commute, and the 92 for recreation, yes? or no? I think that makes economic sense, but I'm not sure, since I don't know what the mileage gains will be from 'flip' to 'flip'.

Please advise me. Thanks very much. fish

Old 08-10-2000, 04:47 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Fish,

Good questions!

The Superchip Flip Chip has a simple 2-position switch pre-wired to the chip itself, with a 2-3 foot long lead on it so you can mount it where you want, there is no wiring to do.

A number of people are having us configure the Flip Chip with one program for regular gas, and the other for premium, just as you suggested, which works very well. There will not be any increase in gas mileage anytime you run it on regualr gas, nor will there be much of a raw power gain, that happens only on premium gas for the most part. (The program for premium gas is the same full performance program that most people here are using in their single-program Superchips)

The way we set it up is so that both programs are identical except for the engine tuning. That way you get all the other benefits such as firmer shifting, top speed limiter removed, transitional spark retards during & after the upshifts removed, downshift delays removed etc., in both programs.

Please feel free to give us a shout, and we'll be happy to go over all of this with you in detail.

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System
First National F-150 Online Rally Event Organizer

Quick Reply: question for MikeT