Anybody got an 04 programed or chipped

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2004, 05:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Anybody got an 04 programed or chipped

I got the 04 5.4L 3 valver and can't seem to find anybody out ther e with any performance parts for it. It needs something bad in the way of a computer reflash.

Old 06-28-2004, 06:19 PM
Slow04,

I've gotten the Superchips PCM reflash (93 Octane) for my Supercrew Lariat 4x4 from Troyer Perfromance. Read about it here at the Troyer Performance website: Superchips Custom Tuning for the 2004 Ford F-150 w/3-valve 5.4 Engine

I've had it for almost 3 months (4500 miles) and am very happy with the reflash. The transmission improvements alone (firmer shifts, higher shift points from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd to realize peak power) make it worth the cost. On top of that, you get more hp & torque.

Superchips is coming out with a "CAN" enabled flasher. You can read a little about it in this thread: Information on 04 programmer? . The 1714 Tuner and Mike Troyer's custom tune package will be HOT items for the '04 F150s.

Thanks to Superchips and Troyer Performance, you have options available. Troyer Performance has also completed R&D on an e-fan kit fitment, and it will be listed on their website soon. I hope to get the e-fans and underdrive pulleys installed before the end of the summer...

Old 06-28-2004, 07:38 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Slow04,

Don't worry, we have *plenty* of performance parts available for the 2004 F-150.

We can provide custom tuning for it, intake kits, exhaust, e-fans, underdrive pulleys, headers, transmission mods, etc., etc - and more is coming all the time as we do more and more R&D on the all-new 2004 F-150's.

Your complaint is the same as virtually every other 2004 3-valve 5.4 F-150 owner - lack of low-end power and throttle response.

To give you an idea, our 2004 F-150, which is a 6200 lb. 4WD 3-valve 5.4 SuperCrew Lariat, couldn't even turn a tire over coming off the line at full-throttle (though I hate using that as a reference for performance, as spinning tires doesn't mean a whole lot - it's just a common example cited in these 2004's with their throttle-by-wire system), and now it will *fry* the tires off the line, has excellent throttle response, and better mpg, too.

Currently we have e-fans, pulleys, our tuning, ignition upgrade, headers & cat-back exhaust on our truck, and it pulls like a freight train for a 3-ton behemoth, with a top speed of about 140 mph - *far* better than stock.

There is *plenty* of additional power available for your 2004 F-150 - just give us a call at our number listed below & we can go over all of that with you, if you like. You can also see some of these things on our web site at www.TroyerPerformance.com - now we don't list anywhere near everything we offer for those trucks on our web site yet, we're behind on our site in terms of getting all the newest things up immediately, as we're always adding more parts in a situation like this - meaning where there is an all-new redesign of a vehicle like the F-150, requiring a lot of new R&D to make these parts available, etc.

Hang in there & don't despair - there's a lot more power & performance available for your truck right now, just give us a call when you get a chance at our number listed below.

Thanks for dropping by, & we hope you'll hang out here with us in your spare time!

Best of luck with your new truck,

Old 06-28-2004, 09:45 PM
Maybe I should have posted this in here instead: https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...readid=161052.

So what is a stock '04 running on 87/89 octane capible of putting out w/o FI?

Old 06-29-2004, 06:45 PM
Question New CAN tuners

These PCM programmable tuning controllers sound VERY interesting and useful.
I have a similar capability device on my sport bike called a Power Commander, which allows
you to install custom made maps which control the air/fuel ratios and timing
over the entire RPM range. The nice thing about it is that you can upload
standard maps, or create custom maps(while on the dyno) using supplied software,
which runs on a Windoze PC or laptop. Device access is through a serial cable.
The other nice thing is that many of the standard maps are available for
download, which you select based on your exhaust/intake modifications.
This thing works great even on a completely bone stock bike.

The F150 PCM is obviously way more complicated than that, but the basic
idea here is the same. The end user has maps for specific configurations
and situation(s) and can load in whatever tuning is appropriate at the time.

In another chip thread it was implied that these new CAN program controllers
available in late August would be even more user configurable, but what
does that really mean?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
QUESTIONS (for Mike Troyer)
1) Will the new CAN tuner hold more than 4 maps(stock + 3 custom)?

2) Will the new CAN tuner allow the user to easily upload/update maps
to the tuner?

3) If yes, will there be a repository of common tuning maps available for download?

OK, I might be dreaming here but...(yeah, I'm a programmer)
As the end user, I would like to have numerous maps for my exact vehicle configuration easily
available to me. For example MPG tuning, a map for each octane rating. Same for TOW tuning,
one for each octane rating, same for HP oriented tuning. But it would be at least 12 maps just for
one specific vehicle config. As the vendor creates each of these new maps, they could be made available to others with the exact vehicle config.

Last edited by zigzag929; 06-30-2004 at 01:08 AM.
Old 06-30-2004, 03:41 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi zig,

Just a quick FYI here before we get started - You can easily find all of that info by using the Search feature here - all of this has been discussed numerous times before, like virtually everything else anyone could ask. Using the Search feature is the first step to getting info you want here on anything - then if it's not there (extremely rare), post the questions in a new thread. That's much quicker for you (and keeps us from having to type out all the same stuff over and over again as each new person asks the same basic questions). Just a quick FYI so you'll know for future reference.

Now on to your questions..............

1.) Not for the foreseeable future - and 3 programs is *plenty*, 3 times as many as the factory gives you.

2.) No, you cannot do your own tuning from scratch on the 2004 F-150. It's not even remotely close to being just a simple spark map or constant open loop setup like on EFI bikes (the vast majority of which simply run in open loop all the time, and are simple to tune for anyone with tuning knowledge and the tools - like Harleys, for example). As you very astutely pointed out right up front in your post, these vehicles are *far* more complex than any bike will ever be, there's no comparison. There are far more systems to control, dozens of factors & calculations that go into delivered spark, additional modes of operation, programs much larger and far more involved than any bike's will ever be, etc.

3.) Downloading some preexisting program isn't "tuning," of course - that's just flashing a program supplied by someone else - basically the same thing as just updating your PC's bios, for example. Now *that* will be available, where you will simply pay a fee for any *additional* different programs, made any way you want, after you've gotten the first 3 custom tunes. And it will be sent via email file attachment.

First will come the "standard" 1714 Micro Tuner (CAN flasher), which will have 3 set tunes (towing 87, towing premium gas, & max performance premium gas, just like today's 1715 Micro Tuner for the 1996-2003 F-150). We can easily provide (for example) a tune for maximum mpg, another tune for all-out maximum performance, and say, a towing tune and have them all available ready to go at any time in one unit.

Then will come a custom-tune capable version of CAN flasher, where we'll do custom tuning as needed for whatever types of modifications (supercharging, nitrous, whatever) and types of desired vehicle uses (towing, drag racing, road course work, daily driver, whatever) anyone will have a need for.

In the *future*, there may be an application where say, a professional racer for example, can go in and directly modify certain tuning parameters in the Power PC/CAN 2004 & up F-150's, but even if that happens that would be quite a way down the road time-wise, and would still require the requisite experience & knowledge to be able to successfully use.

I hope that info helps, & if you'd like to go over any of this in more detail, just give us a call at our number listed below.

Old 07-02-2004, 01:25 AM
Hey Mike, D'oh, as usual, you are the man Thanks for the reminder on proper N-etiquette. I finally found my way to the 9100 specs. 4 maps on the tuner is acceptable as long as I can manage what is on my flasher/tuner. I totally appreciate the complexity of this new PCM. I looked at the 2004 OBD system operation summary on motorcraftservice.com, whoa! That is a progammers dream or nightmare? Funny thing is, I now retire powerPC computers at work, then drive home with one under the hood, How long before we are driving on ppc64 Anyway, with respect to the 1714 and 9100 equivalent: Even though I am an all stock, real long box supercab, 4.10 axle phreak, I would really love to see the vehicle configuration matrix of [Vehicle config X tune maps] y'all have already engineered, it would be good brochure eye candy for everyone, and perhaps ease the interview process... Oh yeah, I have only seen 1 PCM Flasher review in this thread - Bump.

Trending Topics

Old 07-02-2004, 01:59 PM
Talking

Yes! I have the Stage I programming from Troyer/Superchips.

What a change! Its like a totally different truck. My flavor was a Tow/Perf on 91 octane. Got a chance last weekend to put the T.T. behind it and I can say it was really great.

The Magnaflow sounds very nice, throatty but not droaning. The intake sounds like you have a pair of 4bbls on a high rise when you really get on the throttle.

I pulled into a customer parking spot the other day at my local Ford dealer, the salesmen were sitting close by at a table. I went into the parts dept to get some oil and looked out to see two of them looking around and under my ride. I came out and they were asking me about the exhaust. I popped the hood and gave them a look and explination of the PCM programming. One said he was getting his own 2004 in a week or two and called the 2004 F-150 a "F-250 lite"! I got a good chuckle over that one.

Anyway, to sum up my experence with Troyer, they are "SUPER" and I really mean that too. The've done a great job in getting the performance goodies to market for us. Customer service has been unequaled anyplace else. And as Mile has said here in the past, call him for all the details.

Larry in Yucaipa CA
2004 F-150XL Supercab, 5.4L 3V
163' WB, Tow Pkg, 8200# pkg
410 gears, Aspen Green and Tan inside.

Troyer/Superchips Stage I
Tow/Perf 91 Octane.
Magnaflow Cat Back
Airaid Intake

Old 07-02-2004, 02:27 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi HamRadio,

Thanks for your post/review on our Troyer Performance Stage 1 package for the 2004 F-150, and for your generous comments about us - that was very kind of you.

The 2004's are a lot of fun to work on - while they seem daunting at first, we've got enough R&D done already on the 2004 (and dong more all the time) to change the character of the vehicle and really wake it up quite a bit.

The difference in the biggest single area of complaint - overall throttle response, especially at lower rpms & speeds - is well worth the effort.

Your package with tuning for 91 octane, for example, has increased the power available at just 2000 rpm by about 22-25 HP, and at 3000 rpm it's about 35 HP - the torque gains are even higher, so it feels really nice even at lower rpms where it needs it the most. Then when you nail the throttle long enough to take it thru the rpm range, you'll feel it pulling harder everywhere. Our customers are happy with the results, and that makes all the R&D work worthwhile .

Thanks again for your post, HR - have fun & enjoy your 4th of July holiday weekend!

Old 07-02-2004, 02:33 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi Zig,

Yeah, it's amazing how the processing power under the hood trickles down...........for motor vehicles, having the Power PC under the hood is a huge upgrade in processing power. Meanwhile, those units are rather antiquated for the desktops - it's always been that way, it takes a lot less processing horsepower to run a powertrain than it takes to run Windoze applications.

Give me a call sometime & we'll go over some interesting stuff you'll enjoy with your background, etc...........

Old 07-14-2004, 03:20 AM
I am just patiently waiting for the micro tuner for an 04 Expy 5.4............

Old 07-14-2004, 10:19 AM
Rumors are spreading like wildfire that the tuner for the '04 F150s are coming in August maybe?!

Will that replace the mail-in PCM flash in the Stage 1 kit?!

Old 07-14-2004, 11:35 PM
I emailed Troyer Performance and was told that they are anticipated for the end of August.....hopefully that will not be delayed....

Old 07-15-2004, 07:53 PM
A month ago it was slotted for the end of July. Thats cool though. More time for me to save for it.

Old 07-15-2004, 10:03 PM
well

Originally posted by JohnB
I am just patiently waiting for the micro tuner for an 04 Expy 5.4............
if you have the access port under steering wheel like i do in my 2004 3/4 ton van with 5.4- you can have a tuner burned- i had the 9100 tuner from my 03 f150 reburned for my 04 van- what a difference!

Quick Reply: Anybody got an 04 programed or chipped