Specific questions about the superchip installation

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2000, 05:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Specific questions about the superchip installation

While waiting on the chip to arrive I have been putting an eyeball on the computer etc. to determine how hard its going to be to install the chip. Here's what I'm seeing: Using a 10mm socket wrench remove the nut(or bolt, which is it?)which connects the wiring harness to the computer(I assume the bolt/nut?? is screwing into the computer???) After removing it, go on the inside of the truck, swing the bracket out of the way, wiggle the computer out and do the thing...Putting it back, the bracket won't fit over the chip..so I assume this is where you promise to take your wife to dinner, get her to hold teh computer in place while you reattach the wiring harness and start the bolt/nut??? After you got it tight then you come to the inside of the truck, kiss your wife and tell her what a good job she did, then duck tape the hell out of the computer to keep it from fallling out....it this about what the installation involves??? Plse correct any of my assumptions above that are not correct...thanks a bunch...TV

------------------
2000 Expedtion EB,barely pulls 5900 lb Center Console Boat(what to do, what to do?)

Old 09-19-2000, 11:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, you could give that boat to me!!

------------------
1999 F-150 Lariat SC 2 WD, White/Silver, 5.4L, 3.55LS, K & N FIPK, Superchip, underdrive pulley set, Dynomax Super Turbo Series Exhaust, six disc CD changer, towing package and captain chairs

Old 09-19-2000, 11:59 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Tecate,

Good sleuthing for the most part!

The best thing to do is just wait on the Superchip to arrive and read the paperwork, as it gives you all that information in the documentation. The manufacturer's instructions only tell you how to install the Superchip on the computer, but we write our own additional documentation here at Performance, that we send out with every Superchip we ship for these vehicles, and it goes over in detail the exact procedure for removing the computer and many other details, tips & hints, troubleshooting info, etc.

You are mistaken on one thing that is going to make a difference, in your assumption that the black pressure clip holding the computer to the mounting bracket is not re-installed, it is! It simply goes back on a couple inches lower than it's original position, so you won't go thru any contortions in re-installing the computer as you surmised.

The steps are to disconnect the battery, loosen the 10mm bolt head until the wiring harness detaches, and the remove teh black pressure clip. That allows the computer to be removed from the vehicle, and it goes back in in reverse order, including the re-installation of the black pressure clip that holds the computer to it's mounting bracket.

The only reason we tape the Superhcip in addition is simply because any SUV, pickup truck, or 4WD vehicle may see rough offroad use, so we don't want them to work loose in rough usage. We don't tape them in place in passenger cars, etc., for example so it's not like the tape is what holds the Superchip to the computer, it's the grip the Superchip has on the edge connector on the back of the computer that primarily holds it. We simply add tape in vehicles where either the computer is mounted in such as fashion that an impact could jar the Superchip loose, basically, and then in PU Trucks, SUV's, & 4WD's.

Your installation is going to go a bit smoother than you thought, it appears, and that's always good news!

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System
First National F-150 Online Rally Event Organizer

[This message has been edited by Superchips_Distributor (edited 09-19-2000).]

Quick Reply: Specific questions about the superchip installation