another ? about jet vs superchip

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2000, 11:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question another ? about jet vs superchip

Ok I have read all the postings on superchip and it sounds hot. But what about 50 state leagal? Do all superchips have to run 92 oct? do you have to change the stat? I have a 97 4.6 and I am looking for a chip to help my 285's on hills. I had a jet in my 4.0 ranger and it rocked! so I quess what i really want is a chip that I dont have to change fule or stat. Does superchip make one similar to the jet that works all the time? And what about price I can get a jet chip for $219.00 from summit racing?

[This message has been edited by ddhotshot (edited 09-19-2000).]

Old 09-21-2000, 12:26 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi ddhotshot,

The Webmaster here prefers to keep exact pricing isues of the message boards, so for that info, please contact us off the boards, either via phone or email, our contact info is just below for your convenience.

The Superchip is the only one for these vehicles that adds power at *any* throttle position, Jet and the others only add power on full-throttle.

The Superchip does not require the use of an abnormally cold thermostat, nor is that a good idea, in our opinion.

The Superchip does require the use of premium gasoline, just as any true performance chip will. To get the rated power gains from the Superchip, which for your 4.6 are 26 horsepower and 40 lbs./ft.of torque, you must use 92 octane at sea level altutide, that is the exact specification for the rated power gain, just so you'll know.

The Superchip is in fact 50-state emissions certified, and you will get that documentation in with the Superchip.

The Superchip is the only chip for these vehicles that is made specifically for each individual vehicle, so we will need to know your F-150's "computer code", and this is easy to find. Simply open your passenger door, and look in the front part of the door frame, in the general area of the door hinges, and you will see a sticker with 3 letters and 1 number on it, and that is your computer code. If for some reason that sticker is missing, then you can always get it from the computer itself, which is in the cabin on the passenger side, to the right of the dash and just above the passenger's kick panel. It will be held to its mounting bracket by a black pressure clip, and all you have to do is to pull that black clip off, and then look on the computer where the chip was covering up, and there will be another code sticker right there, 3 letters and 1 number.

It is not possible to gain any significant amount of power without using premium gasoline with a performance chip, just so you'll know, the automakers didn't leave any real power "laying on the table" when running on regular gasoline, so this is a basic issue that you'll need to deal with. Any performance chip that actually *works* has to be run on premium gas. With the Superchip, one of the by-products of our tuning is a little bit better gas mileage when cruising, so that can help to offset some of that cost, though it's never going to make up for all of it by any stretch of the imagination.

Please feel free to give us a shout, and we''ll be happy to go over all the specifics of the Superchip for your application, and any other questions you may have about this, we're happy to help.

Good luck with your truck,

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System
First National F-150 Online Rally Event Organizer

Old 09-21-2000, 04:36 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool

I just passed the emissions and visual
inspection with the mods I have done on mine. Depends on what state you live in,
I guess.,,,,,,

------------------
98 F-150 4.6 Litre XLT2wd Ext. cab
prarie tan/tan int.
K/N gen.II fipk
custom dual exh/gibson rectangle tips/rear exiting.
color matched snuglid
Superchip!!!
Westin nerfs blk .powdercoat
Clear front corners
Cobra 75WXST cb w/weather alert
Kenwood cd w/Radio Shack speakers,don't laugh it sounds pretty good
On the way/wheels,tires,air dam, etc..etc.......
doin the monochromatic boogie
on the front end.Billet grilles on order
Hoping for deliverance from door crack hell.

Old 09-21-2000, 06:24 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi Screamer,

You're right, states differ in their emissions requriements and the type of inspections they have.

As long as a particular product has a CARB (California Air Research Board) Exemption Order number, meaning that i's certified for use on pollution-controlled vehicles for use on the street in the State of California, then the EPA automatically grants it the 49-state cerfitication, as CARB EO is the toughest standard in the country.

Some states do sniff tests, actually checking tailpipe emissions, and some states, like Florida, are mnuch more lax.

The Superchip is 50-state certified, and will pass any visual or mechnical emissions inspection, as long as the vehicle will pass without it, that is.

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System

Old 09-21-2000, 06:52 PM
ddhotshot,

I hate to brown nose the Superchip to the point of wiping my nose to the bone, but I had the JET Chip. Noticed a little power. Transmission shifts were still horrible. I squirmed every time that tranny banged to the next gear... even at reqular throttle. One year later, swapped the JET for a Superchip. All kinds of POWER. Feels like a race car. If I wasn't trying to grow up, I'd buy NASCAR goggles, a window net, and racing tenny's. Shifts so nice now. I feel better because I know my truck (and transmission) is running ten fold. No discrepancy whatsoever. Superchip is the best buy.

------------------
1999 F150 4x4 5.4L XLT X-Cab, Tow Pkg ORP,heavy duty alternator, factory tranny and engine oil cooler
8.8 front/9.75 LS rear, 3.55 gears, K&N Gen II, 40 Flomaster (w/4" chrome tip), Superchip, 32x11.50 Swampers
-future mods
JBA headers (Jet-hot coated), Flex-a-lite, JL Audio subs, Sony CD-Player, Magnacharger, cowl induction, straight axle conversion (8 inch lift w/crossover steering), 4.56 gears, 38.5x16 Boggers, Dana 60 front, Dana 70 rear (Detroit locker)

Old 09-22-2000, 02:50 AM
Question

I also have to question any chip that suggests using a cooler stat. Heat is horsepower (within reason of course). I personally think it's just a cheap attempt at reducing any possible detonation. Why would you get a chip that causes detonation in the first place?

Old 09-22-2000, 02:02 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi Signmaster,

Once again, you hit the nail on the head. The colder thermostat is used to try and keep detonation at bay. The exact mechanism is keeping the cylinder head temps abnormally cold, which as you noted takes heat right out of the combustion process!

Up to the point of detonation, you want to keep as much heat as possible in the combustion process, for more power and a better conversion of the gasoline from a liquid state to actually producing energy.

Some people don't realize that internal combustion engines are only giving us at best, maybe 25-28% overall efficiency, the rest of the energy released from the combustion process goes out into the cooling system, released in the form of heat off many components, and out the exhaust pipe.

Excellent point!

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515

Trending Topics

Old 09-22-2000, 03:23 PM
Thanks for all the info Mike but I still have 2 questions. First what temp stat do i need 180? And you said the chip has a CARB # but will it pass the sniffer test with 92 oct? if not can it be uninstalled and reset if so will the coller stat effect the emissions? thanks!

Old 09-22-2000, 06:00 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi dd,

You simply use your stock thermostat.
They are normally 192-194 degrees in these late-model FoMoCo vehicles.

And yes, as long as the vehicle will pass emissions without the Superchip, it will pass any emissions test with the Superchip as well. That's what being 50-state certified means, that is will not cause your vehicle to fail an emissions test, whether it's a sniff test, or the entire EPA drive-cycle. So you're in good shape there.

To answer your last question, yes, the Superchip can be quickly removed, and that causes your vehicle to revert back to it's original factory program, anytime you remove the Superchip.

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515

Quick Reply: another ? about jet vs superchip