Pinging

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2004, 03:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pinging

My truck pings at freeway speed while going up hills or accelerating. It is not real loud but I can hear it in the background. Does anyone know if a superchip will help that or do I need to bring it to the dealer. 99 F-150 4x4, 5.4l with 55,000 miles.

Old 07-02-2004, 01:44 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi norcakid,

You don't mention if this is something new, or something the vehicle has always done under a load - and that potentially makes a big difference in the diagnosis.

"Light" pinging under load is considered "normal" if you read the owners manual, they say that is not a big problem if it's just light and occasional - but any consistent detonation should be investigated and corrected.

If it's a tuning issue inherent in the PCM revision in that particular truck causing the detonation, then sure, we can take care of that in a custom tune for you - and there are some of these trucks that will have that problem - not a lot, but some. However, I would not just jump right into having us do a custom tune for you, first I would do some diagnosis to identify the actual cause of the detonation.

Getting denotation when running on the stock factory program and 87 octane fuel, the first thing to check is to make sure you are using only the best quality 87 octane fuels available - steer clear of all the "cheap" gas - the no-names, off-brands and no Exxon, either - they tend to have a lower energy content, which can cause detonation even though there is enough octane. Out there in California, try using Union 76 and see if that takes care of it.

From a maintenance standpoint, make sure your fuel filter is new - Ford says to change them at 30K mile intervals, but we highly recommend cutting that in *half* - not more than 15K miles on a non-supercharged engine, 5K miles with a supercharged motor. No matter how many miles on on your present fuel filter, if this detonation is something *new*, I would go ahead and change it again right now, using the stock Ford factory unit, it's fine. A fuel filter can become clogged in just a few hundred miles from a bad tank of gas, for example - so if the pinging is something new, I'd put a fresh fuel filter on it even if the current filter has only 10K miles on it.

You also need to install a fresh set of upstream O2 sensors now anyway, as you are over 50K miles (replace only 2 of the 4 O2 sensors on your truck - the one on each side of the engine's exhaust that is BEFORE the exhaust stream reaches the catalytic converters). Use only Bosch brand O2's, and pick them up from AutoZone, etc., where they cost not more than about $50 each or so - dealerships typically charge about $90 each. Your factory maintenance schedule does NOT mention replacing the O2 sensors simply because they fall under the emissions warranty, and thus if the automaker said to replace them before 80K miles, they would have to pay for it - so you will not see O2's mentioned on virtually *any* automaker's maintenance schedule. But they are in fact a 30K mile maintenance item - in no cases let them stay in for longer than 50K miles. Even a nearly failed and poorly functioning O2 sensor will pass the response time test that dealerships do, so we replace them anyway at this point, whether they are the cause of the detonation or not - it's time, you have over 50K miles.

You are getting load-based detonation, meaning whenever you ask the engine for more power when cruising (from going up a hill, accelerating to to pass someone, etc.) - this can be caused by many different things, ranging from poor fuel to a clogged fuel filter, O2 sensor, EGR problems, even a failed PCM. So if the detonation doesn't go away with better fuel, a fresh fuel filter and a fresh set of upstream O2 sensors (all of which should be done anyway from a maintenance standpoint), it's time to get it in to your dealership for them to diagnosis this properly.

Good luck!

Old 01-08-2007, 09:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Mike,

It has been forever since I have posted on this board.
My 2003 SuperCrew has run flawlessly since the day I bought her!! She is my daily driver with 62,000 miles on her (city driving only). However, lately I have been noticing some slight ‘pinging’. I used to only hear it in the hot summer with the air conditioner full blast trying to pass on the freeway. I now here is slightly when I take off from a dead stop from a light or stop sign.
I have researched this board a bit and I have an idea what I need to do to resolve the problem.
I am first going to run the tank empty and fill her up with some good Unocal 76 gas, which I normally do.
If that does not help then I will change upstream O2 sensors and the fuel filter.
Would an extremely dirty air filter also be a cause pinging?
If so, I ordered one from you guys last Friday.

Anything else I might want to look at?

By the way I have never had the plugs/plug wires replaced.

Listed below are my current mods.

Air Force One Intake Kit, 16408
Magnaflow Cat-Back Exhaust, 15609
4.56 Precision Gears
Superchips Custom Micro Tuner (set for 87 octane), 9100
6” RCD Suspension Lift
305 70/26 BFG Mudd Terrains

Old 01-11-2007, 02:24 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I suggest also doing a carbon removal treatment, as over time engines collect deposits inside the combustion chambers that will artificially increase the static compression ratio - which will sometimes cause them to ping, especially around the areas where torque peaks.

Other than that, just make sure to do what you said, install fresh O2's, and then also clean the MAF meter's wires as well using CRC's MAF Cleaner - remove the MAF meter from the vehicle and spray that MAF cleaner on the wires - let it dry for about 20 minutes and reinstall it. All MAF sensors collect fine debris from paper air filter elements over time, or a little bit of oil form gauze & oil style filters like K&N, Air Force One, etc., and that needs to be cleaned annually.

I hope that helps & good luck!

Quick Reply: Pinging