questions on superchip R9 program

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2000, 10:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post questions on superchip R9 program

I've got the flip chip in my 99 (must add very impressed with setup which includes airaid and fabricated x pipe in place of muffler) with side one being CUX1R9 and side two being CUX1TRAX9. I have run both on the street and have noticed no pinging on either side. I have heard that the CUX1TRAX9 side is for the track which requires octane booster. Is this true? I run the CUX1R9 side on the street because side 2 holds 3rd for a longer time and I am not sure if it is OK to run side 2 all the time. I do also notice a difference between the shifting of the two. Is the difference between the two just in tranny programming and shift points, or is side two timing also advanced more? What program does everyone consider the R9, CUX1R9 or the CUX1TRAX9?

Old 09-26-2000, 12:39 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Shonut,

I think most likely there is some confusion here. The R9 program does not have a "drag-race:" mode in Position 2.

The R9 program for the Flip Chip is set up with a program in Position 1 that has all our normal changes to automatic transmission function, and then mild engine tuning, so you can still do towing with your Lightning. It has about half the power gain of the program in Position 2.

Then in Position 2, it's simply the full performance program.

Now what we were able to do in R9 that is different from past Lightning programs is this: In Position 2, when you are at WOT, there is no torque converter lockup, yet on part-throttle, there *is* lockup, so the program can still be used on the street without adding additional heat in the tranny, yet still give you the basic benefit of our past "drag-race" type of program, whose characteristic was the elimination of torque converter lockup *all* the time, even on part throttle.

R9 does not require the use of anything other than a good pump premium gas.

If you actually had the R9 version of the "track" program (CUX1R9TRA for the 1999's and CUX2R9TRA for the 2000's), you would have to disconnect the wastegate solenoid anytime you are in Position 2, as the upshift points are beyond where the boost dump mode kicks in @ 5650 rpm. Very few people are running this, only the hard-core drag racers. You would know instantly, as you would be getting a boost dump during full-throttle upshifts unless you disconnected that solenoid/actuator.

Please feel free to give us a call if you have further questions on this.

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System
First National F-150 Online Rally Event Organizer

Old 09-26-2000, 01:19 AM
Thanks for the reply Mike. My truck will smoke through the second gear shift up to 65mhp on side one (CUX1R9). It would not continue to spin into second stock. This increase is hard to believe with only half the increase on side one. When on side 2 (CUX1TRAX9) it does shift higher but I have had no boost dump. One difference is that 4th will not engage until 50 or 60 unless I let off the gas. Thanks again

Old 09-26-2000, 10:24 AM
What are your exact mods on your truck?

------------------
1999 F-150 Lariat SC 2 WD, White/Silver, 5.4L, 3.55LS, K & N FIPK, Superchip, underdrive pulley set, Dynomax Super Turbo Series Exhaust, six disc CD changer, towing package and captain chairs

Old 09-26-2000, 02:09 PM
Mods are in first post above. I waited a year for the chip and couldn't be happier. With a chip and air system these beasts do truely wake up.

Old 09-27-2000, 12:51 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Mikey,

I just wanted to let you know that in this thread, we're talking about the supercharged Lightning truck, and not a "regular" F-150.

With jus the Superchip and an Airaid kit, those Lightnign can be well over teh 400 horsepwoer mark if they make their stock 360 horse rating, which a lot of them don't, by teh weay. But say we have a stock Lightning making it's 360 rating, then the Superchip adds 42-44 hp, and the Airaid kit adds another 18, so you're well over 420 hp at that point, which is why his truck is running so strongly.

I just wanted you to know that this is a Lightning that we're talking about, so you don't think it's a more "normal" F-150, that's all.

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System
First National F-150 Online Rally Event Organizer

Quick Reply: questions on superchip R9 program