Pulling chip for service

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2000, 09:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Pulling chip for service

I just pulled my chip to take the truck in for service. Should I pull a batt. cable off to reset the computer or is it ready to go? Anything new I should do when it goes back in?

BTW Any of you have this speedo problem? My speedometer stays at 0 then at 20-25mph it jumps up.

------------------
1997 F150 XLT
Debut sport truck
Ext. cab short bed
4.6l 3.55 tow pack *leather *K&N filter *Gibson swept side
*power rear slider
*soft tonneau
*full running boards
*timbren rubber springs *tekonsha brake control.
*bugflector II
*superchip
*rancho RS9000

http://community.webtv.net/rexor29/F150

[This message has been edited by ALLFORD (edited 09-25-2000).]

Old 09-25-2000, 09:47 AM
You diffinately need to reset the computer and make sure you clear all codes by turning on your headlights while you have the battery disconnected. Let it sit that way for 5minutes and then turn off your lights & connect everything back up. Have Ford check out your speedo, I've never had a problem with mine.

------------------
2k F250 CC SWB 6 speed 4x2 Diesel XLT Super Duty, Woodland Green
Power Mirrors, 3.73 LS, Captains Chairs, ARE tonneau top, rear privacy glass
TT Pkg, Class IV hitch, sliding rear window, running boards, mud flaps
265/75/16 AS OWL tires, am/fm/cassette/cd, rechargable MagLite
Clarion APA 5240 amp, Memphis speakers:Components front, 5x7 rear, 10"sub
SuperChip, Stepshields, Ventshields on windows, rubber bed mat
rugged liner bedliner on tailgate, quick disconnect jumper cables
unaFORDable (decal on tailgate)

Old 09-25-2000, 05:02 PM
Thanks for the information. I am going to take it in for the speedo problem.

Old 09-25-2000, 06:49 PM
I always took mine in with the chip in it. If the dealer doesn't like it he'll get no more of my business.

Old 09-26-2000, 12:55 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi ALLFORD,

The battery disconnect is up to you, it's probably a good idea to do it, as Tina accurately explained. (Thanks Tina!)

It is not *required* to stop the SBDS system from giving the false error code telling the technician that the computer's internal EPROM chip is not functioning, as that stops the instant you remove the Superchip. What I'm referring to here is Ford's design, where anytime you connect to the J3 connector on the back of the Ford computer, engaging that circuit, and this is Ford's design, will tell the computer to turn off it's internal EPROM chip, and to seek it's instructions externally. Conversely, as soon as you pull off the Superchip, that circuit is no longer engaged, so the internal EPROM chip instantly switches back on. And that is exactly why we suggest pulling any chip prior to service on any Ford, so you don't have to explain to the technician that this is *supposed* to happen, as unless they are into performance chips they have no idea how that external override data path circuit actually works.

Having the Superchip installed will *not* interfere with diagnostics when connecting your vehicle to Fords SBDS (service bay diagnostic system), but because you get that "false" error code due to that circuit turning off the internal EPROM, it's just a lot easier to remove it prior to service.

It's also a good idea to save that little plastic tab you had to remove from the back of the computer to access it's port as well, most people just throw those in the glove compartment so they don't lose them.

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System
First National F-150 Online Rally Event Organizer

Old 09-26-2000, 04:24 PM
Exclamation

I wouldn't reset before taking in for service. If you do you will erase all the trouble codes your computer has set. Why make the dealers job that much harder by hiding defects you computer has found?

------------------
97 F150 4x4 SC 8' box, 5.4l auto 3.55LS.

Old 09-27-2000, 12:53 AM
Former Sponsor
ALLFORD,

OK, good luck with the speedo work!

Bill Bateman: we do too, but you know how *some* dealers can be!

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System

Trending Topics

Old 09-27-2000, 01:02 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi Rob,

Trouble codes are stored for a certain number of KOKE (key on, key off) cycles, so that generally isn't a major concern.

Additionally, if there is a mechanical problem that is the cause of the check engine light, it's going to come right back, as disconnecting the battery only temporarily clears the check engine light, it's doesn't correct the condition itself. Anytime we get a Check Engine light in any of our vehicles (which happens rarely, of course), we'll do a disconnect to see if it was just something that was a temporary condition, or a real hardware failure, as if it's a hardware failure, the Check Engine light will come back on pretty quickly, indicating a real problem.

For example, we had a 1995 4.0 Explorer that would throw a Check Engine light anytime the vehicle was driven at speeds of 75 mph or faster for a period of 2 hours or longer! Within 10-15 miles of slowing down under 75, the Check Engine light would go out and not return, unless the vehicle was once again driven at those speeds for that length of time, talk about a strange one! What happened was, it retained the codes as it will for a number of KEKO cycles, and it was simply a marginal O2 sensor. This happened from the day we bought it new until we traded it in a 80,000 miles. They didn't have the O2 sensor in stock at the time, and we just continued to drive it like that since there was no other problem, gas mileage was fine, A/F ratios fine, etc.

Just FYI....

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515

Old 01-27-2002, 04:04 AM
Same Problem

I am having the same problem with my 1999 truck. Speedometer stays at 0 until I get to about 40 and then works perfectly.

Do you mind telling me what you found to be your problem?

Thanks.

Quick Reply: Pulling chip for service