Question for Mike

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2000, 12:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Question for Mike

Hi Mike you have answered some questions for me in the past. Im sold on superchips and am ready to buy one but I have one more question for you. I have seen peoples post mentioning soldering. I thought that the chip plugs into the cpu? mine is a 97 4.6 my computer is under the rt. side dash. I used a jet chip in my ranger and it just plugged in the back of the cpu.

Old 10-07-2000, 12:39 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi dd,

No, there is no soldering to do, the Superchip just plugs onto the J3 connector on the back of the computer.

I think you've confused some of what you've read here possibly...... there have been a small number of early 1999 Fords that had a jumper mis-configuration from the factory, where the jumper or pair of jumpers that controls the communications state of that connector were left open, and in those cases, the jumper or pair of jumpers needs to be closed by dropping a dot of solder on them to close the gap. But that has nothing to do with your vehicle, as this only affected a small number of early-1999 models, basically. There were a few late 1998 Expeditions that were affected, but those aside, it's usually limited to a few vehicles made during a 120-day window in calender 1999. Even then it's an easy fix to correct the factory error.

Feel free to give us a shout if you'd like to go over this in more detail, our contact info is just below.

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System
First National F-150 Online Rally Event Organizer

Quick Reply: Question for Mike