F-450 Chip?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2000, 03:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question F-450 Chip?

My father just purchased 2001 f-450 with the powerstroke diesel. I have a superchip in my 5.4 L supercrew and am all and all pleased with it. He is thinking of buying a chip for his. Is the superchip the right one for the diesel or is hypertech better? I would appreciate any comments.

------------------
Bart Gilmer
2001 F-150 Supercrew
4x4 Lariat
Off Road Package
Loaded
Flowmaster Exhaust
Superchip
K&N

Old 10-02-2000, 06:24 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Bart,

Though of course my opinion is going to be seen as biased, the Superchip gains far more power on the Powerstroke diesel (as well as the F-150 and virtually any other application) than the Hypertech unit does, for every model year of Powerstroke that those products are already available on, which are the 1995 thru 2000 model years.

That being said, the 2001 Powerstroke's just rolling off the assembly lines in the last 30 days aren't done yet. Tomorrow the 2001 Powerstroke diesel goes onto the chassis dyno at Superchips. They have made substantial changes in the Powerstroke's programming for the 2001 model year, as we've already looked at this of course, but one thing that has not changed is how conservately Ford has de-tuned this engine compared to the power levels that it's actual manufacturer, International, makes it available in bone-stock. From International, that engine is available in power levels all the way up to 325 hp & 675 lbs./ft. of torque. Ford detunes it to (for 1999 & 2000) 235 hp & 500 lbs./ft. of torque, just to give you an idea.

So it's going to be a little while, at least a week or so, before the brand-new 2001 Powerstroke Superchip is available.

Please feel free to give us a shout, our contact info is below, and we'll be happy to go over all the details with you, if you like, so you can pass them along and give them some thought.

Best of luck to your father & his new PSD!

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System
First National F-150 Online Rally Event Organizer

Old 10-03-2000, 01:23 PM
Thumbs up

And while your dad is waiting for the chips to be tested, maybe he'll let you test drive that diesel!!! Tell him he Needs to put about 500 or so miles on it just to make sure everything is working right

------------------
2k F250 CC SWB 6 speed 4x2 Diesel XLT Super Duty, Woodland Green
Power Mirrors, 3.73 LS, Captains Chairs, ARE tonneau top, rear privacy glass
TT Pkg, Class IV hitch, sliding rear window, running boards, mud flaps
265/75/16 AS OWL tires, am/fm/cassette/cd, rechargable MagLite
Clarion APA 5240 amp, Memphis speakers:Components front, 5x7 rear, 10"sub
SuperChip, Stepshields, Ventshields on windows, rubber bed mat
rugged liner bedliner on tailgate, quick disconnect jumper cables
unaFORDable (decal on tailgate)

Old 10-03-2000, 01:42 PM
Former Sponsor
Tina (as usual!) raised an excellent point, which is, we think it's a good idea to put at least a few hundreds miles on the brand-new vehicle just to make sure that there are no immediate problems with the vehicle that need service department attention. And also so that you have a feel for how the vehicle runs stock, so you'll know just what the Superchip is doing for you.

I know I've said this probably a milion times here, with our new vehicles we usually install the Superchip before we get off the dealer's lot, but that's us, due to our knowledge of the product and what it does and who we are. I think for most people it's a good idea to put a few hundred miles on the vehicle first, as Tina mentioned.

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System

Old 10-03-2000, 04:39 PM
Cool

Thanks for the help Tina and Mike. Mike I have another question for you. Dad wants to get the chip for the mpg increase, so can you give me some numbers on the PSD mpg. I would appreciate it. Thanks!

------------------
Bart Gilmer
2001 F-150 Supercrew
4x4 Lariat
Off Road Package
Loaded
Flowmaster Exhaust
Superchip
K&N

Old 10-04-2000, 02:11 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi Bart,

Well, we don't know yet what's going to happen on the 2001's of course, as they just hit the streets and it's on the dyno right now, so only time will tell.

Traditionally, the PSD's pick up anywhere from as little as 2 mpg to as much as 5-6 more mpg, depending on how the vehicle is driven. These turbocharged Powerstroke diesels work much differently in this regard than gasoline engines do.

We (meaning Superchips) had an independant lab out in Ontario California verify both the power gains and the fuel mielage results on the 1999 & 2000 Powerstrokes, and here is what they came back with: If the vehicle is driven unloaded ( no passengers, no towing, lightest possible load conditions) at low speeds in city traffic, only .1 mpg was gained. But as soon as that engine had a load put on it, meaning driven at highway speeds (65+mph) or anytime towing was done, passengers on board, etc., there were substantial gains in mileage, ranging anywhere from 2 to as much as 6 more mpg.

For example, we have a number of PSD owners who do occasional heavy towing, but are mainly driving their PSD's empty on the Interstate cruising at 80 mph, and seeing a full 5 mpg gain over those same conditions without the Superchip.

We have PSD owners who are towing all the way up to it's rated capacity (20K lbs. combined weight thru 2000) and getting 3-4 more mpg in those conditions.

And then we have PSD owners who are *way* over capacity, having a combined weight of as much as 30K lbs. (30,000 lbs., 15 tons!), who only see a 1.5 mpg gain, due to the *extreme*& load 50% above rated capacity, just to give you an idea of the full range of load conditions & results in mileage gains.

Basically, anytime the Powerstroke has a load on it and the engine is working, you'll see better fuel mileage with the Superchip than without it. If the motor has little to no load on it and is just loafing, then little to no gains are reported. Most PSD owners buy them becasue they need a motor to pull a big load, or to do operate in demanding load conditions, and that is right where the Superchip shines, when the engine is working.

Gasoline engines get their best mileage from a standpoint of unit of fuel burned per unit of work output on light throttle, light load, whereas the turbo diesels need to be working under at least some load to start getting fuel-efficient from that same standpoint, unit of fuel consumed per unit of work output.

I hope that gives you a "feel" for about what to expect, this shouldn't change much if any for the 2001's.

If your father would like to go over this in detail, please feel free to have him give us a call if you like, our number is listed below.

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515

Old 10-04-2000, 02:52 PM
Wink

Thanks a lot Mike. That helps. Please let us know when the 2001 PSD chip is ready. Thank you for your time.

------------------
Bart Gilmer
2001 F-150 Supercrew
4x4 Lariat
Off Road Package
Loaded
Flowmaster Exhaust
Superchip
K&N

Trending Topics

Old 10-04-2000, 08:11 PM
my horse trainer had a hypertech put into her 2000 F350 CrewCab Dually diesel. She likes it. Said it acts like a gas engine when you put your foot on the pedal, has a lot more get up & go. It had 50 miles on it when we hooked it up to a loaded 4 horse trailer to go from Ardmore, OK, to San Antonio, TX. handled nicely, was drove at 80-85 mph most of the way.

We are going to be in the market for a 2000 F350 to replace the 93 F350, but we like the F450 and F550 as well. If you don't mind, how much is the F450 running for?

Old 10-05-2000, 01:43 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi Bart,

The dyno work went very well, and they're able to pull just about any amount of power gain you want from the 2001 Powerstroke, that hasn't changed, just as we felt it wouldn't change.

The new program will be ready in just a few days, and nobody else has the 2001 Powerstrokes done yet, once again Superchips is not only the best, but the first as well, as usual.

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515

Old 10-05-2000, 03:18 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Mike,

Stop it! You said; "The dyno work went very well, and they're able to pull just about any amount of power gain you want from the 2001 Powerstroke,". I am almost tempted to dump my 00 F-150 and get a 2001 PSD.

You know how really nuts I am so how much can you get me in terms of HP and Torque. If she blows up so be it!

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier

------------------
00 F-150 XLT SC Flairside 4x4 4.6 w/5spd 3.55LSD
Warn XD9000i, skid plates, Draw tite class III,
Rancho RSX Reflex shocks,
Borla Cat Back, Headman Headers,
Modified Air Cleaner Outlet Tube
and air box, Shortened MAF sensor tower,
K&N air filter,
Superchips

[This message has been edited by JMC (edited 10-05-2000).]

Old 10-07-2000, 12:48 AM
Former Sponsor
Hi JMC,

Well, it's up to you. If you are willing to do substantial other mods to free up intake & exhaust flow, we can add another 300 lbs./ft. of torque or more, if you want! We have Powerstroke racers running over 1000 lbs./ft. of torque!

Give me a call, and we'll go over this if you want.

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515

Quick Reply: F-450 Chip?