tuning for '04 Aviator?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2004, 11:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tuning for '04 Aviator?

I'm looking at an '04 Lincoln Aviator that I think I can get a good deal on. My local dealerchip has a 4X2, stripped, that I think they may let go pretty cheap (reletively speaking, sticker is 40k). I test drove one and I think it's a nice SUV. That DOHC 4.6 has good power. The problem I have is with the transmission. The 5-speed auto is nice but it's a bit sloppy shifting when you get on it. I could not live with this if I were to own it. If there is tuning availible I will more seriously consider trading my "customized" F150 for this more refined ride. If not, I will happily continue to drive the F150.

Thanks!

Old 07-06-2004, 04:40 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Tom,

If that 2004 Lincoln Aviator uses the standard EEC-V PCM, then yes, we can tune it. Check to make sure it has the EEC-V PCM with the single wiring harness connector on the front (just like the PCM in your F-150 has), or whether it has the new PTECH unit (3 connectors on the front). If it has the newer PCM, it will usually be under the hood just left of center at the top of the firewall, fully exposed, and you'll see the 3 wiring harness connectors. the PTECH is a bit larger PCM - it's still thin, just a bit taller & longer than the EEC-V's

Also, snag that SUV's computer code of course, and then let us know all of that info, the PCM type and the computer code - then we can let you know for sure if tuning is available for it.

I almost hate to see you get rid of that low-mileage supercharged F-150, but if this Aviator turns out to be a good deal, it sure is a *very* nice SUV - good luck!

Old 07-06-2004, 07:28 PM
Thanks Mike.

The chance that I get out of my F150 is pretty slim at this point. They will have to offer me a deal too good to pass up. I don't think that is likely. I did do the test drive and talk numbers with them for a while. I am supposed to go back tomarrow and "talk" some more with them. I wanted to know if there was tuning for this vehicle and also if their service department frowned on that type of thing. I figure that tuning will be availible at some point but what the service dept. thinks is probably a different story. I wouldn't be able to stand driving a vehicle that shifts like that. The E250 shifts poorly too, and it drives me nuts! Not to mention, that DOHC 4.6 is supposed to have 300lb/ft of torque, but I drive the E250 with the 5.4 for work and my supercharged 4.6 for play, 300lb/ft feels pretty weak. In the end I will probably end up holding out for a Lightning, maybe even the next gen.

Old 07-07-2004, 08:15 PM
Well, I went back. They are going to check with the service manager tomarrow to get his take on the situation. In the mean time, the PCM fits the discription of the PTECH.It is in basicly the same place as the EEC-V on my F150. The computer code is DHG1.

Old 07-08-2004, 04:00 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Tom,

We've got the code, so we can tune it - if it's the PTECH (and it appears to be in the code, it's also a 5-speed automatic), then we'll have to flash the PCM to do it now - or you can wait a few months for the new flasher.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: tuning for '04 Aviator?