Chip for my 2000 Expedition

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2004, 01:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Chip for my 2000 Expedition

I've been following the threads for chip enhancements, so I would like to ask a few questions, if you will allow me.

I have a 2000 Ford Expedition, 5.4L, with a few mods. I have a K&N Fuel Injection Performance Kit with a Gibson cat back exhaust. I use my expedition to tow a 6500lb travel trailer. I would like to increase my performance towing this camper. I am looking into installing a chip or using a micro tuner. Could you help in recommending a product that would improve my all around towing capabilities. The Expedition bogs down greatly on inclines and I feel takes to long to down shift to a lower gear. Any help would be appreciated. Thanking you in advance.

Jeff Sabol
2000 Expedition XLT

Old 07-08-2004, 07:16 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Jeff,

That is a LOT of weight to tow with an Expedition, so it's performance is not going to be exactly sparkling pulling well over 3 tons of additional weight out back - *especially* going up grades! You've got a big heavy SUV with a small gasoline engine & not a lot of power, being forced to haul around 6 TONS+ of weight in that situation.

In terms of what will actually improve power and performance the most for the least cost, that would be to have us do our in-depth custom tuning for your Expedition - regardless of whether it's bone-stock or has other performance modifications, our custom tuning always delivers the highest power & performance gains of any tuning choice available, so that is the way to go. Most people here use our custom Micro Tuner - that is our Part# 9100, and you can read up on that at the following link: http://www.troyerperformance.com/cgi...chips%3BFoMoCo

You will also see some other programming products there, but in terms of what we advise, it would be our custom tuning, and we highly recommend going multi-program for maximum power and flexibility - that is available in either our Part# 6600 (a 4-program custom chip) or in our Part# 9100 (the 3-program custom Micro Tuner).

Our custom tuning will add more power than both your K&N intake and that Gibson exhaust *combined*. But keep in mind that it's not going to feel like some $5000 supercharger, or make it feel like you're not lugging 6 tons around, etc. - it's simply the single best bang for the buck performance enhancement you can make to that vehicle, as nothing else for the same or less cost will improve performance as much - whether you're towing, just cruising, or even drag racing.

There plenty of additional things we can do to help you improve the towing performance of that vehicle - if you still want more after you get our custom tuning, we can take the power & performance literally as far as any vehicle owner wants to go - thats' what we do, we specialize in the performance of this vehicle platform.

You can use the Search feature here to look up posts by "Family Ride," a fellow member here who also owned an Expedition who was towing even more weight than you are - if memory serves, I think he was towing about 7500 lbs. with his Expedition. He did a few mods, like our tuning, I think he also did electric fans & underdrive pulleys, along with what you have already done, an intake & exhaust. He was very happy with the towing performance of his Expedition when pulling all that weight.

Drop by our web site and read up at that link, and of course, please feel free to give us a call at our number listed below if you'd like to go over this in more detail. You're on the right track by addressing the powertrain programming in the PCM - that's the best bang for the buck and what I would do next. Then see how that works for you before deciding if you need to do anything more, as different drivers have different wants & needs in this regard.

I hope that info helps a bit, & we look forward to working with you.

Good luck!

Old 07-08-2004, 10:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mike:

Thanks for the reply. After hearing from others who used your customized programming, I think that is the way for me to go. I look forward to working with you.

Jeff

Old 07-10-2004, 01:02 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Jeff,

Good choice - that'll get you the best bang for the buck, & our cusotm tuning will also help you get the most from your existing mods. Those 3 areas - tuning, intake & exhaust - work well to compliment each other.

Quick Reply: Chip for my 2000 Expedition