Question for 5.4l Superchip owners

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2000, 11:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Question for 5.4l Superchip owners

Hello,
Well I am at a crossroads. When I owned my 97 Ranger 4.0l I used the SuperChip + exhaust/air. I noticed that after doing so. I held a more constant 20 MPG, But never above, and not that much more power. I guess the gearing was killing me, 3.27 on a 4x4 ext cab. So now I am on the other side of the spectum, now a 97 f-250 4x4 ext cab with 3.73.*(Seeing that the avg here is 3.55.) So are owners with this type of setup seeing that much diffrence in MPG with the chip?
I do mostly hw miles, unloaded and 65-68 MPH.
The reason I switched to this truck, one less total mileage on odometer, but more towing power, since 3-12 weeks out of the year there is a trailer of some sort behind my rigs.
So I have worked with Mike, and I know the gains, just looking for real life accounts. Also another thing I had though of was maybe just getting my chip reprogramed with everything but the Prem power curv? Because I would like the improved drivability more, if there are not that many who say MPG goes up, since that is my main concern I would save on the Prem fuel costs.
Thanks for any hints you can give

Old 10-16-2000, 11:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry, That was a bunch of bable, Please take the computer away :-)
Here is the short version.
I just traded my 97 Ranger for a 97 5.4 f-250 4x4. I have the Superchip from my Ranger that I can have re-burned. The question is, I want drivability more that anything, IE Firmer Trans Shifts, less where and Fix the lost 100lbs of torque durring shift. So I could have the chip burned without the prem fuel curv and save on fuel costs. The other point is Will Realy I see any improvment in milage, since I am running with 3.73 gears?
Thanks

Old 10-16-2000, 01:03 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi thomasjs,

I know you're looking for "real-life accounts", but I thought I'd drop you a quick answer to what I think your question is.

The only way the Superchip is offered with a program for regular gas is in the 2-program Superchip Flip Chip, so your existing Superchip would not be feasible for this.

It seems your main question is one of fuel mileage, and what potential gains you might see from the Superchip for your 97 truck. The fact that you have 3.73 gears instead of 3.55's won't make an appreciable difference in the amount of mileage gained by the Superchip, that is a very minor difference in gear ratios and the resultant change in engine rpms. Most of the F-250 5.4's are using 3.73 gears already anyway.

Those F-250's with the 5.4 never get very good mileage, usually averaging anywhere from 10-13 mpg, with a few owners getting as much as 14-15 mpg on the highway from them stock.

With regards as to how much mileage the Superchip is going to add, the feedback we get from F-250 5.4 owners runs about 1.5 more mpg on average, just to give you a rough idea of what others with that vehicle have reported back to us. There have been some that got as much as 3.0 mpg more, and there were also some who were doing very heavy towing (8000 lbs. +) who got only 1.0 more mpg.

So the potential increase in mileage from the Superchip is going to vary based on all the same factors that normally affect mileage, the driver's right foot, the overall load on the vehicle, and the energy content of your local fuel supply, basically. Given your stated driving conditions of cruising 65-68 mph unloaded, you should be able to see decent results.

Just FYI.........

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System
First National F-150 Online Rally Event Organizer

Quick Reply: Question for 5.4l Superchip owners