A sign of old age...

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2000, 08:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink A sign of old age...

Mike,

Long time no hear! How have you been doing? I don't get on the message board much anymore now that I have to work for a living! I have a really dumb question for you... It's been a while since I've flipped my chip (due to gas prices) and I can't remember which position is which! Is position "1" for regular gas and position "2" for high test, or the other way around? I guess I'm getting old, but on my truck, I really can't tell the difference! (It runs great in both positions...) No matter which position I have it in, even with 87 octane, it doesn't ping, and I really don't hot rod it (due to gas prices), so I don't notice a big enough difference in performance to tell the difference! Also, I still see no difference in gas mileage (it sucks in both positions), 16 - 17 mpg, city or highway, fast or slow, it doesn't seem to matter! Anyway, I just splurged again and put a tank of 93 octane in, and went to flip the switch and couldn't remember which position it's supposed to be in (not that it seem to make that much difference, but then again, maybe if I had it in the right position, it would!) Forgive my senility, thanks for your help, and good talking to you again!

PaulT... :-)

------------------
Paul...
99 F-150 XLT SC Sport, 4.6L, Auto, Captain Chairs, Class III Towing Package, 3.55 LS, Sliding Rear Window, White, 4X2, CD, Soft Factory Tonneau Cover, K&N Filter, WMS Velocity Tube, Line-X Spray on Bed Liner, Gibson Side Swept Cat Back System, Superchips Flip Chip, and the Original F150online Decal...

What more is there!

ptarnuzzer@ikon.com

Old 10-25-2000, 02:22 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Paul,

I have already responded in detail to your email with this same content, so I won't repeat all of that here.

Position 1=87
Position 2=92+

And you do need to run it in each position for a while, to get all the benefits from it. Since you've been running it on regular, I would switch to premium gas and then flip it to position 2, and then also do a battery disconnect and turn on the headlights for 5 full minutes to drain all residual power from the system, clear the computers memory and get a fresh program load. That will show you the back-to-back differences between the 2 programs. You don't *have* to disconect the battery every time you change programs, it's just that if you don't, the change will be gradual, as the new program slowly overwrites what is already in accumulated memory in the computer.

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System
First National F-150 Online Rally Event Organizer

Old 10-26-2000, 08:29 AM
Wink

Mike,

As always, you're there when we need you most! I received your e-mail and replyed, but, just so everyone knows, thanks again for coming to the rescue! It's this kind of support and availability that creates repeat customers! It's good to see Customer Service is still alive and well somewhere up in the Viginia Mountains!

------------------
Paul...
99 F-150 XLT SC Sport, 4.6L, Auto, Captain Chairs, Class III Towing Package, 3.55 LS, Sliding Rear Window, White, 4X2, CD, Soft Factory Tonneau Cover, K&N Filter, WMS Velocity Tube, Line-X Spray on Bed Liner, Gibson Side Swept Cat Back System, Superchips Flip Chip, and the Original F150online Decal...

What more is there!

ptarnuzzer@ikon.com

Old 10-26-2000, 10:23 AM
Cool

Hi PaulT....

Noticed you have a Gibson "Swept Side" installed on your truck. Are you happy with it and where the gains worth the cost of the system?

Just curious because I am thinking purchasing the "Swept Side" myself!

Old 10-26-2000, 11:04 AM
Thumbs up

I like it. It's a little to quite for some folks liking, or at least that's what I gather from postings here! I was looking for a system that I wouldn't here from inside the cab at highway speed, and the Gibson delivered! As for performance, I added the Velocity tube first, then the exhaust and finished up with the chip. I noticed a good increase with the Velocity tube over stock, but not a big difference with the Gibson. I've read others on the board who started out with an exhaust mod then did the intake, and heard similar results, i.e. the first mod seemed to have more of an improvement than did the second. The chip was the ideal final step, because it also added a noticable difference. I think the intake and exhaust definately compliment each other, and combined work the best, and if both were added at the same time, the change would probably be much more noticable. As for price, I bought mine from another F-150 Online member for less than 1/3 the original cost, so the "bang for the buck" quotient was much higher for me! Would I buy another Gibson? Probably, but I would probably go for duels out the back next time, just because I like the look!

On another note, being as this is in the chip section, I went with the Flip Chip over the regular because it gave me the option of running 87 or 93 octane fuel. And honestly, I run 87 octane 95% of the time, but the other improvement you get from the chip really enhance the intake and exhaust mods I have, so for me it was worth the extra money (actually, if I remember correctly, the cost of the Flip Chip was no different than a custom tuned SuperChip!) to have the option to run either while maintaining the improved shifting characteristics the chip provides. I hope this helped, and didn't further confuse the issue!

------------------
Paul...

What more is there!

ptarnuzzer@ikon.com

Old 10-26-2000, 01:39 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Thank you Paul, that's very kind of you.

Have fun!

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System
First National F-150 Online Rally Event Organizer

Quick Reply: A sign of old age...