Superchip and the Theft light

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2000, 11:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Superchip and the Theft light

I installed my Superchip last night. The installation process is straightforward, but I ran into a snag.

After installing the chip on the computer, I reassembled it and tried starting the truck. The Theft light blinked rapidly, the gauges pegged, the Check Engine light lit, and the odometer went from displaying numbers to a line of dashes. I thought I had killed my new truck!

I went through the old threads on this forum, and found one that said that the chip being pressured the wrong way could cause this. On close imspection, the Superchip did not line up with the outboard side of the computer flush, so I thought that the lip on the computer mounting bracket would not contact the chip. I was wrong. I went back under and removed the plastic retaining clip for the computer, and the truck started right up. I then removed the computer and tried to flatten out the lip at the rear of the computer mounting bracket, but there's o room to work in there, and that bracket is fairly tough. I had to remove it entirely, and use a hammer to pound the lip at the rear of the bracket flat. Once I reassembled everything, including adding the plastic computer retaining clip back, the truck started and ran flawlessly.

The morals of the story are that I would recommend bending the lip flat during the initial installation, even though that bracket is quite difficult to remove, for anyone with larger hands, and to use this board as a resource in case anything goes wrong; the answers can probably be found here.

Truck runs great with the chip, and I like the improved shift characteristics. I will be taking a trip next weekend, and will post comparison gas mileage numbers in the Supercrew forum when I return.

Many thanks to Mike for his patience in answering my questions during the research and ordering process. He's good people to do business with. Thanks also to those who had similar issues with their installations, and who took the time to post their experiences for others to learn from.

------------------
Tom Brendel
2001 SCrew XLT 2WD, Toreador Red, 5.4L, Med. Parchment 60/40, 3.55 Lim. Slip, Class III Towing Pkg, Aluminum Wheels, CD Changer

Old 10-20-2000, 12:42 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Tom,

Thanks for a great post! It's not many of them, perhaps 1 out of 5 or so, but the ones that do have that "lip", or "tab", on the mounting bracket do need to be straightened out so that it won't interfere with the Superchip. That "lip" can push slightly on the module, and if so, it does need to be straightened out.

When you first start the engine with the Superchip, it's normal to have the gauges peg and then drop to zero, they'll do that once on the first start after installing the Superchip. The rapidly blinking Check Engine light is a clue however, that something wasn't right in the connection. Glad to see you got this taken care of right away.

There are variances in the dimensions on these Ford computers, and you can have a gap between the back of the Superchip module and the back of the computer, they won't all fit "flush", and that's normal. We go over all of this in the additional documentation that we write and include with every Superchip we ship for these vehicles, so that first-time installations will go smoothly with no big surprises. The manufacturer's instructions tell you how to install the Superchip onto the computer just fine, but they don't give you any tips or hints or troubleshooting info specific to these F-150's, so we write that documentation and provide it in addition to the manufacturer's instructions, specifically for the purpose of helping first-time installers.

Glad to see you're enjoying the Superchip Tom, have fun!

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System
First National F-150 Online Rally Event Organizer

Old 10-22-2000, 03:44 PM
Exclamation

I have the same problem with gauges pegging and the odometer went from displaying numbers to a line of dashes and the engine not starting on my 99 reg-cab. However the tab does not interfere with the Superchip. I believe I have one of the computers that have the jumper problem. My computer looks like Box Type A on the jumper page here http://www.superchips.com/jumper.htm
Too bad today is Sunday, I don't feel I can do the solder job myself, so I will have to return the chip and have it done. I am so anxious to drive the truck with the chip installed and working. I just had the Ravin Z55 installed yesterday, very nice sound. I'm wondering why I waited so long to start the mods.

Old 10-22-2000, 09:26 PM
Wink

YEP...Exactly what i went thru, actually it was cuttin the duct tape every time i tried to put the computer in place(bends easy my ***), YES that brackets hard to get out, try doin it with right arm only. Nice Job tho & thx for lettin everyone know of your experiences, thats what this board is all about, i posted same when i did mine. Have a great time with the Superchip installed, tis an awesome upgrade....as i said before in other posts tho is that my only complaint is theres nothin in the instructions about how to decrease pressure of right foot on pedal, seems to have got heavier with the chip installed & i didn't read anywhere where it said "Installing this Performance Chip may Automatically increase pressure on Accelerator pedal via Foot"
Take Care & have fun!!

------------------[list=a][*]All Black 2K F-150 XLT[*]5.4 Auto, 3.55[*]Super Cab, BedLiner[*]Class III Tow Package, Rear Slider[*]Keyless Remote, Cruise, A/C, CD Player[*]Tinted Windows[*]Bug Guard[*]Black Step bars[*]Billet Custom Grill[*]K&N Filter,Air Box Modified & inlet increased to 3" from Fender[*]Flow Master Force II Exaust with Single in, Dual out Behind rear Wheels[*]Stainless Hide-a-Hook Tie downs[*]HellWig LP 25 Overloads[*]Front & Rear Color Matched Light covers[*]Dash Cover[*]SuperChip[*]White Light Fog Lights(remote controlled)[*]80/100 watt white light Headlights/Smoke covers[*]Still on to do list: Electric Fan(s) Rancho 9000's,American Racing 16 X 8 Baja's,Snug Top or Tonneau,B&M Shift Kit[/list=a]

Old 10-23-2000, 02:24 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi Scott,

Yes, you're right, if you have the misconfigured jumpers from the factory you will get that same display. What happens is the circuit never gets closed, and anytime that happens, for whatever reason, you'll get that same thing happen.

Let us know if you need any help getting your jumpers done, just give us a shout by phone or email if you like, it's very straightforward. We can also arrange to have Superchips do this for you if you prefer.

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System

Old 10-23-2000, 02:27 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi Huckster,

The "tab" is easy to bend if it's on the black pressure clip, but when it's on the bracket itself, it does require some force, as that metal is pretty strong at that point. There can be a tab, or lip, on either the black pressrue clip that holds the computer to it's mounting bracket, or on the mounting bracket itself. The one on the clip is easy, the one on the bracket takes considerably more force, you're absolutely right!

You're also right about the documentation not warning you of the dreaded "Superfoot" disease.

Have fun,

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515

Old 10-24-2000, 12:26 AM
Smile

Thanks Mike. BTW, I did get in touch with Superchips today right before you got me the RMA#. Thanks for all of your help. I will post my results in a few days.

Old 10-25-2000, 12:09 AM
Former Sponsor
Hi Scott,

OK, very good, and of course let us know how it goes once you get it back!

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515

Old 10-26-2000, 08:03 PM
Question

I am still waiting for Superchips to "overnight" the chip and computer back to me. They got is yesterday 12-25 morning at 9:38 AM. Should I have got it today? It's 5:00 PM.

Old 10-27-2000, 03:29 PM
Talking

OK Mike
I got your phone message. Thanks. You have e-mail.

Old 10-28-2000, 12:54 AM
Former Sponsor
Hi Scott,

Anytime something like this comes up, please contact us immediately & directly by phone or email, don't do it here on the boards, as you'll get a much slower response here, and that isn't what the boards are for here anyway. These kinds of matters need to be handled between you & I, meaning the vendor & the customer, as these are not the Performance Products customer service message boards.

I have all your information, including the different RMA number from what I gave you that caused the 1 day delay, as they were expecting it, by my instructions, under the RMA number I gave you, But you used the RMA number you got from another individual down there, and that confused matters, so just contact us and I'll go over all this with you. I've already left a message for you at your home number with the info as well.

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515

[This message has been edited by Superchips_Distributor (edited 10-27-2000).]

Quick Reply: Superchip and the Theft light