SuperChip vs. Alarm vs. ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2000, 02:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question SuperChip vs. Alarm vs. ?

Hey Folks!

I just completed the install of my superchip. (Engine code LCT2.) I read and followed all the direction: the papers in the shipping carton, many posts here online and of course, Chris Duke's excellent online how-to article (he and I have exactly the same truck). I had the extra flanges on the computer bracket (not the clip) so I had to remove the bracket for adjustment, a real pain. Oh, I also meticulously cleaned the chip contacts as instructed.

The truck, she runs great! Much better off the line than before, and I haven't even added premium gas yet! Shifting is way smoother, too. No more hesitation between gears. M-m-good.

However, my keyless-remote alarm system is all screwed up. Ordered with the truck, this is the "remote keyless entry system" with the "keyless entry alarm" upgrade module (the manual I have is for the Pursuit series PRO 9232). After the superchips install, when I connected the battery back up, the alarm went off. Thanks to hints from Mike Troyer, I was expecting this and had the remote in hand to silence the thing.

Now, however, the alarm does NOT work as before and is very screwy. For instance, when I get in the cab and close all the doors, the thing arms itself and the truck won't start. When I press the "disarm" button, the alarm goes off! I gotta press the disarm button to silence the alarm. However, before I can start the truck, I must click the "arm" button one last time, which doesn't actually arm the alarm, but it does let me start the truck.

I don't think I've got a superchips installation problem. If it were, the truck wouldn't start... true? I think I've got a problem with resetting the keyless-entry alarm system.

Any opinions out there? Has this happened to anyone else? What can I do to reset my keyless alarm system? (The manual is not much help here, it only talks about how the thing works when it's already working!).

Thanks in advance for all your help!

------------------
Promises Do Come True: 2000 F-150 XLT 4.6L V8 auto, supercab, oxford white/dark graphite, 3.55 LS, std bed, prem CD, class III towing, sliding rear window. ADDED: Westin step bars, Fumoto oil valve, Ford bugshield, Vent Visors, Penda Hide-A-Hooks, Rhino bed liner, SnugTop HiLiner cap, Lee Anderson carpet kit (sweet!), Kleen Wheel brake dust shields, Yakima TerraGate 2 hitch bike rack, rubber duckie antenna, Ford wheel locks, dark gray Dash Mat, stoopid fuel magnets, Lund wiper cowl, EGR fender flares, Ford cabin air filtration, custom curtains for the bed, custom cupholder inserts, custom sunglass insert for the garage door opener compartment. SOON: K&N FIPK, Flowmaster Delta 40 or 50, and of course, SuperChip... now on order!

Old 10-15-2000, 08:23 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Christopher,

It sounds like an alarm issue from losing power because of disconnecting the battery to install the Superchip, perhaps.

Since the engine is running fine, there probably isn't anything wrong with the Superchip.

It sounds to me like your remote needs to be reprogrammed. Is this the factory system from Ford, or is this alarm an aftermarket unit that your dealer installed for you?

All our vehicles here have the Ford keyless remote system, and none have had any issue like this. You might want to give us a call when you get a chance, and let's go over all the details with you.

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System
First National F-150 Online Rally Event Organizer

Old 10-16-2000, 03:28 PM
Thanks, Mike. It does appear to be an alarm reboot problem. I'll play around with the alarm a bit more to see if I can get it working again. I'll keep you posted.

BTW, I only disconnected the negative terminal on the battery when I installed the chip. Is this a problem? Should I have disconnected both terminals? Don't seem like I should. One should do it.

Thanks again.

------------------
Promises Do Come True: 2000 F-150 XLT 4.6L V8 auto, supercab, oxford white/dark graphite, 3.55 LS, std bed, prem CD, class III towing, sliding rear window. ADDED: Westin step bars, Fumoto oil valve, Ford bugshield, Vent Visors, Penda Hide-A-Hooks, Rhino bed liner, SnugTop HiLiner cap, Lee Anderson carpet kit (sweet!), Kleen Wheel brake dust shields, Yakima TerraGate 2 hitch bike rack, rubber duckie antenna, Ford wheel locks, dark gray Dash Mat, stoopid fuel magnets, Lund wiper cowl, EGR fender flares, Ford cabin air filtration, custom curtains for the bed, custom cupholder inserts, custom sunglass insert for the garage door opener compartment. SOON: K&N FIPK, Flowmaster Delta 40 or 50, and of course, SuperChip... now on order!

Old 10-17-2000, 02:22 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi Christopher,

You're right, you only need to disconnect one of the battery leads, so you're fine there.

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System

Old 11-02-2000, 11:50 PM
Lightbulb

Well, the superchip vs. alarm problem is finally fixed. I emailed the alarm manufacturer (AudioVox) and they were REALLY helpful with how to reset the thing. I got smart, too, and disconnected the horns first!

Regardless, no go. The alarm was basically backwards; you had to arm it to drive off!

I took it to the dealer, and they confirmed it didn't work right. They started hinting at charging me $60 to have the "alarm" guy come out and check it until I reminded them that THEY put the thing in 5 months ago when I bought the truck! So THEY paid for the alarm guy to come out. Lo and behold, it was mis-wired. Doh!

Works great now. You were right, Mike, it's an alarm problem, not a superchip problem. I'm just kinda scared what ELSE is gonna go haywire the next time I disconnect the battery!

------------------
Promises Do Come True: 2000 F-150 XLT 4.6L V8 auto, supercab, oxford white/dark graphite, 3.55 LS, std bed, prem CD, class III towing, sliding rear window. ADDED: SuperChip! Westin step bars, Fumoto oil valve, Ford bugshield, Vent Visors, Penda Hide-A-Hooks, Rhino bed liner, SnugTop HiLiner cap, Lee Anderson carpet kit (sweet!), Kleen Wheel brake dust shields, Yakima TerraGate 2 hitch bike rack, rubber duckie antenna, Ford wheel locks, dark gray Dash Mat, stoopid fuel magnets, Lund wiper cowl, EGR fender flares, Ford cabin air filtration, custom curtains for the bed, custom cupholder inserts, custom sunglass insert for the garage door opener compartment. SOON: K&N FIPK, Flowmaster or Ravin exhaust.

Old 11-04-2000, 12:07 AM
Former Sponsor
Hi CHristopher,

I'm glad to hear they re-wired it properly for you at no charge, albeit with some prodding from you. And of course, thanks for letting us know it had nothing to do with the Superchip, that was as I suspected.

If they have taken care of it properly, you shouldn't have anything to worry about when you disconnect the battery, other than the alarm going off as soon as you re-connect it, of course.

Now you can fully enjoy that nice new truck with the bugs worked out, have fun, & good luck!

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515

Quick Reply: SuperChip vs. Alarm vs. ?