Q for Mike T

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2000, 07:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Q for Mike T

Mike, I changed the MAF and TB and I am idling at around 850 rpm in gear and around 1400 out of gear which is too high. Will the computer bring my idle back down after a while or is there something else I should check. Does the chip modify idle speed or is it just the processor? See my post on Transmissions. This thing may be a little beefy for the Hot Rod Lincoln!

Old 11-02-2000, 01:33 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Flats Man,

Changing the MAF usually requires a custom program change in your situation, where you already have a custom blower program, and changin the MAF causes this idle to go "haywire", as they can alter effective idle speed, A/F ratios, etc. So it's usually a matter of needing to program to compensate for the MAF, the TB (throttle body) usually doesn't change anything, it's the MAF causing this issue.

I don't think you're going to see any change in this behavior until you either remove that MAF and go back to the previous unit the program was made for, or, have your program updated again with another custom program to compensate for the new MAF.

You can always try a battery disconnect to see if that will help. Disconnect one of the battery leads, then turn on the headlights for 5 full minutes to drain all residual voltage from the IC's & caps in the system, turn the lights back off and re-connect the battery, and see what happens when you start it back up and put some miles on it. I don't think it's going to change, but it's certainly worth trying this, though you may well have already done this, I don't know.

I'm guessing that we're going to need to change the program for that MAF from the sounds of your symptoms.....

You might want to give us a call on this.

I'll try to get back by that other section and read your post on the new transmission, & thanks for your response there.

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System
First National F-150 Online Rally Event Organizer

[This message has been edited by Superchips_Distributor (edited 11-02-2000).]

Old 11-02-2000, 08:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Mike, thanks for the response. check the transmission page. The truck is idling fine. I will be sending the chip back at the end of this month.

Old 11-04-2000, 12:30 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Flats,

OK, so your idle came back down, I take it? Excellent! I figured that it probably wouldn't, so this must have been just an initial adjustment the ECU was able to make, and now idling OK, I'm glad to hear it.

I still have concerns over the A/F ratio however, as the Pro-M units will lean it out, and that's a separate issue that will still need to be addressed, so I wouldn't give it much heavy throttle until that's compensated for. It's probably running just fine, but it's still too lean for any kind of full-throttle running without seeing elevated EGT's, so please be careful!

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System
First National F-150 Online Rally Event Organizer

Quick Reply: Q for Mike T