Installed My Super Chip Today

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2000, 02:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Installed My Super Chip Today

I received my new Super Chip today, couldn't believe it only took 3 days to get it, I installed it in 40 minutes; that includes droping the socket in the fender well and straightening out the computer bracket and getting the tools out to do the job. I couldn't believe how easy the process was, I was kinda dreading do it cause I didn't have any idea what was involved. But the chip came with very good instruction even with pictures and was very well detailed.
I am glad I decided to install the chip the truck picked up some in performance and it sould get some what better as I get the cheap gas out of the system but I love the way the trans shifts now, its not slow in shifting like before.
I agree with everyone else about the bang for the buck thing. Just hope I am like some of the other people that post some messages saying that they got up to 4 miles per gallon increase.
Thanks Mike for all the info and will pass on the good info on your product.

Old 11-05-2000, 06:48 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Bobby,

From the time of your post, quarter to three in the morning, you must have had a rather long day! I hope it was out playing around and having fun with the Superchip installed.

It really is a rather easy installation that literally almost anyone can do themselves, if you have just a little patience and take your time and read all of the enclosed documentation thoroughly. Thanks for letting everyone know what you were expecting and how it went for you, that's a big help to others.

I'm glad to hear your installation went smoothly. We write the additional 4 pages that we call our "tips sheets" specifically for the first-time installer, so they won't find any big surprises when installing the Superchip in the 1997 & later F-150's and other vehicles.

As far as the potential increase in gas mileage, I wouldn't expect to see anything like the recent reports about getting 3.5-4.0 more mpg, as if you will remember from reading those posts, most were about long highway trips that these people had taken before, and highway driving is generally your best mileage. The last one that I saw was from a fellow who drove 1200 miles each way, so it was all highway driving, the best conditions for mileage of course. My point is, I wouldn't expect to see anything like 3-4 more mpg from the Superchip in "overall" driving, a mix of city & highway driving for example. Most people with V-8 automatic F-150's report back here with gains averaging more like 1.5 to sometimes as much as 2.0 more mpg, with the manuals picking up a bit more. In the recent posts here from several people who got those high gains of 3.5 and 4.0 mpg, all but one was extended highway driving, where they were making direct comparisons of mileage before & after the Superchip specifically on long trips where you tend to see the mileage at it's best. So just be prepared to not see 3-4 more mpg unless it's on a long highway trip perhaps, like most of them were. I mention this because I just don't want you to be disappointed in that regard, or to be expecting something the Superchip might not do in terms of mileage gains.

It's wonderful that most people do see these mileage gains from the Superchip, but they are just a by-product of the performance tuning, so how the vehicle is driven, its general load conditions and the energy content of the fuel being used will still determine mileage with the Superchip installed, as it always does.

Thanks for a great post, & good luck!

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System
First National F-150 Online Rally Event Organizer

Quick Reply: Installed My Super Chip Today