chip question

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2000, 09:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question chip question

i have a 97 f-150 with the 4.6 v8. my question is should i wait until i do all of my engine mods then by a custom programed chip for my mods or will i be ok with a basic chip now? any help is appreciated.

Old 11-04-2000, 06:58 AM
Depends on how drastic you are going to get with mods. If it is just the norm, Exhaust(Headers,CatBack), Air Intake(FIPK,filter,or Air Box Mod), and Chip. No. But if you are going to say a Supercharger or TB and or MAF, maybe. What you can do is get the chip now, and then have it re-programmed after your mods are done. Several people here send there chips in many times to be redone.
Good Luck

Old 11-04-2000, 08:56 AM
felixx695,

Buy the chip now. It should be everyones first mod. You will like all the other mods better if you install the chip first.

------------------
Drive it like ya stole it,

Terry Deaton
99 F150 XLT, 2WD, 4.6, S/C, S/B, Superchip, K&N FIPK, FMS 9mm, +4s, Nerfs, Leer Top, Cow Catcher W/Bright A$$ Lights, True Duals with hi flow cats, 275 Dunlops with 3.08 gears, fat swaybars, Steeda front and Hellwig rear, 3.5" Fabtech spindles with 2" blocks, B/E Performance Shift kit with B&M Cast Deep Pan, Steeda Billit Pedals.
Coming Soon: 4.10s and Auburn Diff, Eibach Front Coils and Add a Leafs, Underdrive Pullies and Kick A$$ Shocks.
96 SVT COBRA (almost stock)
98 AERO black w/lotsa chrome
Speed Kills, drive a Chevy and live forever.
http://www.geocities.com/terrydeaton.geo/index7.htm

Old 11-05-2000, 07:26 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi felix695,

Thanks to the fact that the Superchip works just fine with most of the more popular bolt-ons, you do not have to wait to install the Superchip last.

As thomasjs mentioned, this will depend on the types of mods your thinking about. The Superchip will work fine with most of the things you see guys doing to their trucks here, like K&N air filters, airbox elimination kits, cat-back exhaust systems, etc. It's only when you do major mechanical modifications that we need to do any compensating in your program for modifications; things like superchargers, nitrous oxide, gear ratio changes, sometimes mass airflow meter changes etc., are generally the types of things that will require custom programming. And if you ever decide to get radical and do those types of mods at some point later, we can always update the Superchip for you later.

Most guys like to do the Superchip first simply because it's the best bang-for-the-buck mod available. Others like to hear the sounds of their V-8 throbbing thru a new exhaust system change first, and some guys on a tight budget will do a simple drop-in K&N air filter first.

The nice thing is that you can do these types of mods (meaning the Superchip, intake & exhaust mods) in any order you like, and if won't affect the final results, so you do them in any order that pleases you.

If you'd like to go over this in greater detail, please feel free to give us a call at our number listed below, we're happy to help.

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System
First National F-150 Online Rally Event Organizer

[This message has been edited by Superchips_Distributor (edited 11-05-2000).]

Quick Reply: chip question