Cams

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2000, 03:07 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Mike,

They said they tried just about everything, more duration, more lift, chang center line. When they finally got better heads then things changed but he could not tell me how was due to the heads and how much for the cam. Most of the notes are in R&D or sent back to Ford.
He seemed unsure of if increased lift only would help. I asked about the rocker and they tested using a measured 1.8 to 1. The stock ratio on the trucks is 1.75 to 1.
I am off to the parts bin to check this out.
On a positive note he said that as soon as he recieved my cam he would grind it to whatever spec I wanted.

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier

------------------
00 F-150 XLT SC Flairside 4x4 4.6 w/5spd 3.55LSD
Warn XD9000i, skid plates, Draw tite class III,
Rancho RSX Reflex shocks,
Borla Cat Back, Headman Headers,
Modified Air Cleaner Outlet Tube
and air box, Shortened MAF sensor tower,
K&N air filter,
Superchips

Old 10-27-2000, 04:28 PM
JMC

Mike,

More info. I just got off the phone with Ford Motorsport's tech line. They say the same thing as Crane did about the cams. They have no specs on stock cams. So I can't even compare the 5.4 to the 4.6. They say that Sean Hyland is the only one they know that has done any work on the cams. The tech I talled to said he new of a person in Texas that bot a cam from Sean Hyland Motorsport and it did nothing for his vehicle. I contacted Sean Hyland and I will fax them a bunch of questions.

Regards

PS. What happened to the good 'ol days? Pull the rad, slap in a cam, rejet the carb and look out!

------------------
K&N air filter,
Superchips

Old 10-28-2000, 12:12 AM
JMC

Post Cams

Mike T.,

After talking with you I contacted Crain Cams as you suggested. They have no offerings for the 4.6 engine. They performed extensive tests and discovered that changing the profile did nothing. They would get results like, worse low end and same high end or same low end and worse high end. Nothing seemed to produce results. So they contacted Ford and they concured with Crain. Unless you open up the intake nothing happens. They will however gring your cam for you, after all its your money. A camming we won't go.. A camming we wont go..
Hi ho the... ;(

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier

------------------
K&N air filter,
Superchips

Old 10-28-2000, 12:36 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi JMC,

As always, a pleasure to talk with you today. I would agree with Crane that changing the basic "profile" might not be worthwhile, obviously they're tried that, but increasing lift is almost always desireable, and adds power. The internal combusion engine is little more than a glorified air pump, and the more atmosphere you can get into the combustion chamber shy of detonation, the more power you make.

Did you ask them specifically about increasing lift only? And if so, is that what they said, that due to intake restrictions that this would not be effective? Did they have any specific suggestions on how to best alter the intake (different intake altogether, Extrude-Honing, etc.), or did you get the impression that this was something that they don't know the answer to?

And you thought you asked me questions....

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System
First National F-150 Online Rally Event Organizer

Old 10-28-2000, 11:19 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
JMC
It's a new day. Now it's put in a K & N Air Filter, a Cat Back Exhaust and call Mike for a Superchip.

------------------
97 F-150, 2WD, Reg Cab,Flareside,Dk Toreador Red, Windsor 4.6, Magnecor 8.5mm wires, Bosch Plat +4s, 3.55 LS, EGR Bug Deflector, ******* Bed Cover, Bed Liner, XL Full Length Running Boards, Air Aid Kit, Gibson Single Out Cat Back, Superchips, TransGo Shift Kit, Hellwig Rear Sway Bar, Hellwig 2500# Overload Springs,Energy Suspension Polyurethane Front Sway Bar Bushings, 265 70 16 tires, Rancho RS9000 shocks

Old 10-29-2000, 08:00 PM
Former Sponsor
HI JMC & T.,

They keep making it harder and harder to "cam" them, and then they wonder why we install superchargers.....

One way or another, we *will* have our power, said thr masses.

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System

Old 10-30-2000, 10:20 AM
JMC

Mike,

Call me stubborn but I can not fathom why increasing the lift will not help. Needs more fuel maybe? Intake restriction caused by something? I will get to the bottom of this.

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier

Trending Topics

Old 10-31-2000, 12:50 AM
Former Sponsor
Hi JMC,

My point *exactly*, more lift is always desirable as long as we don't run the valve into the top of the piston!

Perhaps there is some intake restriction that prevents additional lift from being efficient?

Let me know what you find on this, and what, if anything, they advise with regards to the intake so that more lift in the cam profile will do some good.

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515

Old 11-05-2000, 10:51 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question

Aren't there some better breathing heads
out there? I thought I saw some in the Motorsport catalog. Or do they only work on mustangs? I'm at the point of improving the breathing on the sceamer
and thinking about some headers,and maybe losing my glasspacks for some Aerochamber mufflers. I just love the sound of them. What do you suggest,Mike?

------------------
98 F-150 4.6 Litre XLT2wd Ext. cab
prarie tan/tan int.
K/N gen.II fipk
custom dual exh/gibson rectangle tips/rear exiting.
color matched snuglid
Superchip!!!
Westin nerfs blk .powdercoat
Clear front corners
Cobra 75WXST cb w/weather alert
Kenwood cd w/Radio Shack speakers,don't laugh it sounds pretty good
Viper 500HF Security system
On the way/wheels,tires,air dam, etc..etc.......
doin the monochromatic boogie
on the front end.Billet grilles on order
www.my-f150.com
Fender Guitars,ROCK!!!
http://www.bigsandy.net
officialtomwaits.com
reverendhortonheat.com

Old 11-06-2000, 01:14 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi Screamer,

The Motorsports catalog is heavily slanted towards the Mustangs, that is true, as it's the Mustang that is Ford's main "muscle car".

As far as breathing mods, I don't know just how well your glass pack mufflers are working, but even if they were a bit restrictive, which glasspacks usually are not, it's not costing you much power, maybe a few ponies. If you want to change them, that's up to you of course, but don't look for big power gains from a muffler change.

Headers do work well, JMC has added them, Neal the HP Freak has added them, as have many others here on F-150 Online. The JBA's work well, and will add about 14 hp on the 4.6, and about 17 hp on the 5.4 motor.

So if you want to add headers, that's always worthwhile. Make sure to have them Jet-Hot coated, it's well worth the additional cost! And if you like the sound of your present mufflers, then I wouldn't change them.

Looking at your mods list in your signature, there is still plenty to do, if you want to go faster. (Watch out, this disease is progressive!) You can add headers, a nice 3-piece set of underdrive pulleys, and a conversion over to electric cooling fan(s) will all help to add more power get to the ground.

Good luck!

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515

Old 11-06-2000, 05:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JMC

Over on the Corral there are guys with Mustangs prior to the 99' GT's putting on the 99' GT heads. The 99' GT heads have a more aggresive cam and better flow numbers. I believe these heads are actually the ones used on the 5.4L? Check it out it might work for you if the intakes match up. I guess Ford is raising the prices on these heads so you better hurry before they are 1k per head like the SVO's. The only other cams that are made are by SHM in Canada at $800 - $900 US per cam and I don't know the gains. Ford released the GT specs to SEMA, if we don't get some serious HP parts from that we might never get them. Sooner or latter these mod motors gotta take off with the aftermarket company's.

Good luck.

------------------
99' F-150 XLT 4.6L SC 4X4 ORP LS

- Ariad FIPK
- Superchip
- ASP Underdrive Pulleys
- Accel Coil Packs
- FMS 9MM Plug Wires
- Rapidflow 3" single CatBack exhaust
- Fluidyne Trany cooler
- A.R.E. Hard Tonue Cover
- Duraliner bed liner
- W Bucky Badger Hitch Cover
- Mobil1 5W-30

Old 11-07-2000, 08:01 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool

Headers it is,then. Can't wait. I heard somewhere that you have to jack the engine up,but a recently posted article in
another thread debunked that myth. I won't have 6 or so hours for the install until I get back to Houston in Jan. Just curious,does the comp.reset with the chip
installed? I love the glasspack sound,but still love the aerochambers(got
one on my 86 E-150) along with a 2 1/2 pipe. Single biggest gain I received on that van was the exhaust. I could hear the sigh of relief the first time I started it,lol.
So,is there a Superchip available for that vehicle? It is FI 302,1986 E-150,don't
know the comp. #yet. Thanks,,,,,,98

------------------
98 F-150 4.6 Litre XLT2wd Ext. cab
prarie tan/tan int.
K/N gen.II fipk
custom dual exh/gibson rectangle tips/rear exiting.
color matched snuglid
Superchip!!!
Westin nerfs blk .powdercoat
Clear front corners
Cobra 75WXST cb w/weather alert
Kenwood cd w/Radio Shack speakers,don't laugh it sounds pretty good
Viper 500HF Security system
On the way/wheels,tires,air dam, etc..etc.......
doin the monochromatic boogie
on the front end.Billet grilles on order
www.my-f150.com
Fender Guitars,ROCK!!!
http://www.bigsandy.net
officialtomwaits.com
reverendhortonheat.com

Old 11-07-2000, 10:59 AM
JMC

BigRed2,

Thanks for the info. I have already e-mailed SHM about their cams & heads but I don't expect a fast reply. It doesn't seem as if SHM has done much with the trucks, at least that was my impression when I phoned there. They wanted to sell me a super charger. I will check out the pn for the 99 GTs and see if they match the pns for the 5.4s.

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier

------------------
K&N air filter,
Superchips

Old 11-08-2000, 12:45 AM
Former Sponsor
Hi Screamer,

As long as that '86 E-150 van is computer-controlled and fuel injected, then we probably make a Superchip for it, we'll just have to see what the code turns out to be.

Those vans have more restrictive intake air tracts and exhaust systems due to less underhood room, so they tend to respond a bit better to the normal breathing mods.

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515

Quick Reply: Cams