Yet another Superchip question...

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2000, 08:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Yet another Superchip question...

I have had my superchip for quite a while and I have been very happy... but for some reason or another lately the truck has been running awful. It can't hold a decent idle, the 2nd gear shift sucks alomost like it is shifting to neutral and then when I lift off the gas it will clunk into 2nd gear. Not to mention the several times the truck cut off on me, mostly at idle but once or twice on the Parkway doing 70 MPH+... not fun. It just doesn't seem to be as helpful as it once was. I have taken the chip out and I got back a solid idle, better 2nd gear shifts and it doesn't stall. Anyone have any questions????

Matt

------------------
2000 F150 Flareside SC Lariat, 5.4L, 4x4 ORP, Superchip, Borla Exhaust, K&N Air Filter, ******** Bed Cover, Penda Liner Pro, PIAA 980 Dual Lamp, Billet Grill, Alpine CVA 1005, Alpine CDA-5755 CD/DSP, Alpine CHA-S624 6 CD Changer, Alpine VCR, Rockford Fosgate 5 1/4" and 5x7" speakers, Rockford Fosgate 8" Sub, BEL Remote Radar/Laser Detector, Blue Interior Neon

Old 11-08-2000, 11:56 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Matt,

It sounds to me like you just need to re-seat the Superchip. You can get those kinds of symptoms if the Superchip is not seated fully. I think you'll find that if you re-install it properly, it will run just fine like it used to. And if it doesn't, then it's time to take a look at the Superchip module itself. They very rarely fail, but it is within the realm of possibility.

Try re-seating it, and tape it in place like we suggest in the instructions to keep a good connection doing bumps, impacts, etc., and I think you'll find it does just fine once again.

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System
First National F-150 Online Rally Event Organizer

Old 11-08-2000, 02:48 PM
what is best to use to clean the contacts on the computer??

------------------
2000 F150 Flareside SC Lariat, 5.4L, 4x4 ORP, Superchip, Borla Exhaust, K&N Air Filter, ******** Bed Cover, Penda Liner Pro, PIAA 980 Dual Lamp, Billet Grill, Alpine CVA 1005, Alpine CDA-5755 CD/DSP, Alpine CHA-S624 6 CD Changer, Alpine VCR, Rockford Fosgate 5 1/4" and 5x7" speakers, Rockford Fosgate 8" Sub, BEL Remote Radar/Laser Detector, Blue Interior Neon

Old 11-08-2000, 06:19 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I like to use what people call the "Mike's screwdriver technique". We use a tiny straight-blade screwdriver to scrape & shave this coating off the contacts. You don't have to use heavy pressure, and you don't want to go so far down that you damage the copper contact underneath the clear coating and then the protective layer of tin that are over top of the copper. If you see metal shavings coming off, that is usually far enough, just make sure that the entire surface of each and every contact is fully cleared of this coating when you go back to re-check this.

If you like, give us a call and we'll be happy to go over that with you, and tell you exactly how we do it.

Basically, you scrape off the coating until it's all gone, and because it's clear in color, it can be tricky determining when it's all off. And, you can even get enough of it off that the vehicle may run fine for some time, 1 day or 1 year, and then have a no-start or a stall if a little bit of that coating is still on one or more contacts, as it can migrate due to thermal expansion & contraction with the temperature changes from day to night, etc.

One of the best tips I can give you is to take apart the computer (remove the cover), and then look at that connector under some *strong* bright light, and use a little magnification if you can, a magnifying glass, reading glasses, even a 35mm camera with see-thru zoom lense can work, anything to blow it up a little under bright light, so you can see it in close detail.

Good luck!

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System
First National F-150 Online Rally Event Organizer

[This message has been edited by Superchips_Distributor (edited 11-09-2000).]

Old 11-09-2000, 12:17 AM
Be careful not to use contact cleaners on many electrical connectors. Some can be corrosive with tin in many connectors...and it doesn't mention this on many contarct cleaners. Alcohol is your best cleaner to use on this type of application if there is residue on it from some source...The info I give is based on many service bullitens I have read in the airline industry regaurding the use of conntact cleaners that we use.

------------------
ecm747x

2001 SUPER CREW XLT, BRIGHT RED
5.6L Triton, automatic 3.55 gears limited slip
16" tires
side steps
bed extender
ford/duraliner bed liner
60/40 seats
6cd changer
moonroof
sliding rear window

Soon to come Mods...

Adding Super chip, Airaid F.I.P.K. Installing different exhaust, not sure which yet. Front grill guard. With light kit

MODS....
1) Lund x-terminator bug shield

Old 07-19-2007, 02:49 AM
Originally Posted by ecm747x
Be careful not to use contact cleaners on many electrical connectors. Some can be corrosive with tin in many connectors...and it doesn't mention this on many contarct cleaners. Alcohol is your best cleaner to use on this type of application if there is residue on it from some source...The info I give is based on many service bullitens I have read in the airline industry regaurding the use of conntact cleaners that we use.

------------------
ecm747x

2001 SUPER CREW XLT, BRIGHT RED
5.6L Triton, automatic 3.55 gears limited slip
16" tires
side steps
bed extender
ford/duraliner bed liner
60/40 seats
6cd changer
moonroof
sliding rear window

Soon to come Mods...

Adding Super chip, Airaid F.I.P.K. Installing different exhaust, not sure which yet. Front grill guard. With light kit

MODS....
1) Lund x-terminator bug shield
your talking about cleaning the computer,do I also use the same method on the super chip.
Thank's JOE

Old 07-19-2007, 08:37 AM
Originally Posted by Joe Styles
your talking about cleaning the computer,do I also use the same method on the super chip.
Thank's JOE
Use Alcohol as well. I just installed my SCT6600 chip on my factory PCM, used alcohol, and I read on many DIY websites for PCM work to use dielectric grease on the contacts after you clean the factory coating off of them, so I got some at my local auto store and coated my PCM's board edge prior to install of the daughterboard chip, works great!! I used a Q-tip to apply the grease, dont take much!!

I have found that those alcohol wipees are good, my wife gets a pocket full of them every day since she is a nurse. You should only have to wipe the contacts of your Superchip, hopefully there is no gunk on those contacts!!

HTH!

Last edited by INFireRedF150; 07-19-2007 at 08:40 AM.

Quick Reply: Yet another Superchip question...