flipchip superchip

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2000, 04:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question flipchip superchip

Hello everyone, I have been reading the many posts for the superchip for the past couple weeks and have decided that in time, (Xmas to be exact) is when i'm going to purchase a superchip. My question is to anyone in California: Has anyone installed a superchip in there "Screw" yet?

I'm thinking of buying the flipchip so I can run 87 & 92 since gas is so expensive in my area (though not as bad as Canadian prices I'm sure).

Any info from California Screw owners would be appreciated.

Ps: Mike if the user name looks familiar, it's flipped around from my Yahoo account name, where I have asked you several questions already about the superchip. Just trying to get a little more info, and maybe talk some other Ford owners I work with into buying one. I should also ask you, Is the flip chip programmable to run the 87 & 92?

thanks again.

------------------
white w/harvest gold trim,2001 supercrew,5.4, w/duraliner and magnaflow exhaust.
next item: superchip

Old 11-05-2000, 06:28 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi az,

I can't say that I recognize the screen name you're using here, but please don't take that personally, as I "speak" to a lot of people between email & message boards, and thus recognize very few of the screen names I see in terms of knowing who that person actually is, their real name, and to recognize that I've spoken to them perhaps in email, unless we've had a lot of very recent communications.

The Super Crews have been shipping since last February, or, I should say, that's when we started seeing them, and they were introduced designated as a 2001 model year vehicle. The point being, they've been shipping for 8-9 months already, and in that time there have been a number of their owners that have Superchipped their vehicles. If you want to go back and read thru these message threads here in this section, a lot of them have posted their results right here for everyone to see, so you might want to take the time to read back thru those threads, as hardly a day goes by that we don't hear from another Super Crew owner doing an installation. Look for the threads that say installed my Superchip today or something along those lines, and you'll see a number of Super Crew owners impressions.

And yes, the Superchip Flip Chip can easily be set up with one program for regular, and the other would be our normal performance program for premium gasoline, that is a good practical use for the 2-program Superchip Flip Chip in these F-150's. The way we do that is to basically make both programs identical save for the engine tuning, which would be set for 87 octane in Position 1. That way you get the benefit of improved shift characteristics in the automatics no matter which program you are using, top speed limiter removed in both, etc. One thing to remember is that there is going to be very little power gain when running on the program for regular gasoline, the raw power gains are going to happen when running premium.

Talk to you soon,

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System
First National F-150 Online Rally Event Organizer

Old 11-06-2000, 11:56 AM
Wink

Thanks Mike for the reply. I have read several of the posts and have gained a lot of helpful knowlegde, and that is why I'm going to purchase a "chip" very soon.

I also understand that there will be no power gain using 87 gas, but happy to know the shift's will be better. I will be ordering my Xmas present to myself soon.

thanks again,
alan

Ps: I have had my crew since late February and have been thrilled with it. My last truck was a GMC z71.

------------------
white w/harvest gold trim,2001 supercrew,5.4, w/duraliner and magnaflow exhaust.

Old 11-06-2000, 01:44 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi az,

Ahh, so you got into the new Super Crew very early on, I see, good for you!

How do you like it compared to the GM truck you came out of?

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System

Old 11-06-2000, 03:26 PM
Wink

Hello Mike, to be honest with you I was Chevy/GM man prior to buying the supercrew, and the reason I bought the truck is because our family grew and we needed a bigger car. Surprisingly my wife said buy a truck and not an SUV, and the Supercrew fit both needs. If not for the Supercrew, I would have bought an F250 crewcab or a Chevy crewcab..

I love my screw, and there is a huge difference from my z71 that I first owned (which was a 93') The screw is more comfortable and very easy to drive. Though I think the z71 had a stronger engine, and I even compared my Dad's 97 GMC 350 to a 00 f250 5.4 and found the GM quicker.

No matter now, I'm very happy with my truck and have recommended it to several people.

And a word of caution to all of you truck owners who like to change your lighting equipment like the sidemarkers,taillamp lenses,,don't do it. In California it is illegal to change your sidemarkers to white, and your rear tail lenses to white, even if you plan on using a red bulb (cvc 23003) It's not a fix it ticket either. It may look cool, but if you get into an accident and can be a contributing factor in the crash, and it will cost you $$$.

As far as I know, I even think it is illegal in all states to change your rear lenses from stock to white because the lenses are tested by NHTSA and certified for use for all makes of vehicles.

take care.

PS: if your wondering how I know this info, well I drive a black and white for a living. If anyone has any questions about certain engine and lighting mods they want to do, (especially in California) feel free to ask.

------------------

Old 11-07-2000, 01:36 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi az,

Ahh, so you're "on the job", you should have some good info then.

I couldn't tell you anything about lenses, etc., I wouldn't have a clue there. Though a lot of guys do like to change some of them, it's not something I've ever given any thought to, except when I've had vehicles whose headlamp lenses have yellowed and needed replacement. I am a stickler for having powerful headlamps especially on high-beams, as I feel that all factory lighting systems have you significantly "over-driving" your lights, on both low beam and high beam. I don't mean blast people with millions of watts and blind oncoming traffic, just good powerful lamps focused & aimed properly. Having grown up in Europe, where they have always allowed more powerful lights, went to halogens first, etc. and having seen over there in the 50's, 60's & 70's what they used for automotive lighting and compared it to these US-spec vehicles, our headlight systems are woefully inadequate by comparison, even though they do meet "the spec".

With regards to engine mods, people in California can check with the manufacturer to see if the aftermarket part they are considering has an CARB EO#, and if so, then it's legal for sale & use on polution-controlled vehicles driven on the street in the state of California, that's the whole purpose of the CARB certification & EO number. The EPA in fact recognizes the CARB EO process, and if your part(s) have a CARB EO#, then they are automatically 50-state certified in the eyes of the EPA, which is the overall governing body for emissions on a Federal level. We go thru that process with the Superchip too, of course.

Is there anything in particular in the way of engine mods on California vehicles that you feel you might want to point out or "warn" anyone about, or tips to offer in that regard? Such as things that police officers look for, or just anything in general to be aware of, etc.? We always love to get expert advice around here, so we're all ears to hear your unique perspectives on any of this.

And thanks for your thoughts on the GM trucks. I think you'll find that the performance of the F-150 5.4 is better than the F-250's with the same motor just due to weight, of course. GM still has Ford in the horsepower race from the factory, so to speak, luckily for us Ford owners these Fords respond very nicely to rather inexpensive mods and can easily get well over the 300 hp level in the 5.4 motors.

Hope you enjoy your Ford,

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515

Old 11-07-2000, 04:23 PM
Cool

Hi Mike, your right, the lights on US cars are horrible and any "legal" modification is well worth it. What I see most in illegal front lighting is the use of "wanna be" HID lights.

Most of these lights are being put on modified Acura Integra's and Honda's and they are buying the bulbs only. The problem with most of these bulbs is that they put out a blue color, not a "hot" white that the true HID lights do. Latley I have been seeing more of these on trucks, and even motorcylces.

The problem is, in California, the only vehicles that can have a blue light to the front is emergency vehicles( that goes for red lights too) Now the blue is not bright blue, but it is blue, and it does not help to make the road brighter. If you buy a headlight replacement bulb make sure it is NHTSA certified.

I just read a letter to another police agency in the south that was written by a NHTSA official. The letter was concerning the red bulbs some drivers have been using with clear tail lamp lenses. THERE ARE NO RED BULBS THAT ARE LEGAL IN ANY STATE. NHTSA says to make a legal bulb in red you would have to make the base from 24kt gold and it would cost around $450. 00 a piece.

There is already one company NHTSA is going after for selling white taillamp covers with read bulbs claiming there are 50 state legal.
Also, NHTSA tests OEM lense covers for headlights and taillamps for a three year fade test. The aftermarket companies are not doing this.

Your comment on EO and CARB information is great to see and I hope everyone who buys performance parts pays attention to this. There are several companies who make Air Intake mods (FIPK) who do not apply for EO AND CARB numbers and sell there items as 50 state legal.

I mainly run across these illegal mods in import cars like the Acura's and Honda's, but im sure if I started pulling over more full size trucks, I might find these items under the hood.

I just got an email from K&N and they do not have FIPK for the 2001 trucks, so to put one on a 2001 truck would be illegal. Even though the 5.4 litre engine is the same as the 2000, the part can not legally be put on a 2001. I think it's just a matter of time before they get the numbers issued, so be patient. But remember, most cops do not know this, so most people will be able to get away with it. And most likely if I came across a truck with an illegal part or application I would probably give them a warning to get it fixed.

About the things police look for, that all depends who the cop is. A lot of cops have no idea that certain lighting mods are illegal, so you may never get pulled over, or you may get pulled over in one town, and not another.

The reason I became so informed about illegal lighting and engine mods is because in the city i work we have a large industrial area were people like to drag race. 98% of these cars were modified Acura's and Honda's but there were some Mustangs and Camaros. We had nights of 300 to 400 cars showing up. Then the first fatal crash happened. This started the heavy enforcement of the cars, and the modified lights gave us the vehicle code to pull them over and inspect the cars. The heavy enforcement cut down the races, and the crashes.

Anyways, I think I have babbled enough. I'm saving my pennies for my superchip so I hope to be ordering soon, if not before Xmas, maybe afterward.

One more thing, I am certified Child Seat Technician (certified by AAA) To all of you with children who use a car seat, make sure it's in properly. 95% of the cars we check at car seat checkpoints or on a car stop are not properly installed, which means your child is not protected like they should be. If you have any questions about how to put your seat please ask. I know this forum is about computer chips, but I will give out my work email if someone wants more info.

drive safe, and keep your eyes on your review mirror,, because we love to sneak up on the un-suspecting

az.

Ps: for those of you who pay attention to the signature line, I do not work in the town I live in.

------------------

Old 11-08-2000, 11:14 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
az,

Great post on the lights and specially the car seats. I hate to see children, who must trust ignorant adults for their lives, not properly buckled up.

Now for my question if you don't mind. What happens to a visitor (crazy Canadian maybe) when caught in violation of California emissions? I do not believe my truck (Canadian specs) is legal in your state.

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier

------------------
00 F-150 XLT SC Flairside 4x4 4.6 w/5spd 3.55LSD
Warn XD9000i, skid plates, Draw tite class III,
Rancho RSX Reflex shocks,
Borla Cat Back, Headman Headers,
Modified Air Cleaner Outlet Tube
and air box, Shortened MAF sensor tower,
K&N air filter,
Superchips

Old 11-09-2000, 12:08 AM
Cool

Hello JMC, Well your truck is not held to California smog standards as long as you are just visiting. As soon as you take up residency, which means getting mail at set address, your truck is will have to become California legal.

If you decide to stay, your truck will have to pass a smog test, which it probably will, but certain mods might have to be removed. Most vehicles now are 50 state smog legal.

Crazy Canadians are always welcome to California, I have a large family in Ontawa in fact.

Also I made a mistake on the head lamp specs. The head lamp bulbs must be DOT (DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION) certified, not NHTSA.

Stay warm JMC.

------------------

Old 11-10-2000, 12:15 AM
Former Sponsor
Hi az,

What a great post, lots of good info & humor too, thanks!

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515

Old 11-10-2000, 12:18 AM
Former Sponsor
JMC,

Just in case you might not know, your vehicle is in fact a US-spec vehicle. You can drive it legally anywhere in America. Like az said, if you *move* here, you'll have to pass whatever state's inspection procedure annually or every 2 years, states vary on that, but just visiting, you can drive anywhere in America with that vehicle.

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515

Quick Reply: flipchip superchip