Emission Laws

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2000, 12:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Emission Laws

Does anyone know how installing Superchips or modified exhaust systems will affect Smog Checks in California? Need more Juice, but don't want to take it off every two years!

2001 SuperCrew 4.6L Toreador Red/Gold

No Mods Yet, but considering.

Old 11-11-2000, 04:18 PM
Cool

Rodsteger, don't quote me but I am sure that the mods you are talking about will have to effect on the smog checks. Mike T. should be able to tell you more about this. I know there was volunteer emission checks here and I had my '87 I-6 in before and after I had the catalytic plug up on me and I replaced it and everything passed properly. We are going to have the same scernio here and I also checked into this because I was worried about the checks as well. I was looking into a true dual system or replacing my factory dual cat. section with a single cat., which is a direct replacement. One supervisor from Driveclean that I was talking to said that as long as I had a catalytic converter on each side of the motor (one per head), she said that it should have no problem passing. As for the chips, they only better the operation of the motor which means the motor automatically breaths cleaner at the exhaust.

Have Fun & Keep on Truckin'
Dean

------------------
1994 F-150 XLT Supercab, Long Box, 302 EFI, K&N FIPK, Bosch Platinum +4 Spark Plugs, Automatic, Single Catalytic converter, followed by a Raven Z-55 muffler and finished off with chrome tips (2 1/2" to 3"), Royal Blue in and out, Captain Chairs. Chrome Rims 15x8's, Michelin LTX M/S 105S 235/75R15 (Summer), OEM Aluminum Rims 15x8's, Michelin LTX M/S 108S (Winter), Lightly Tinted, Soft Tonneau Cover, Ford Receiver Hitch Cover & Lock, J&J Enterprises Stainless Steel AirDam with KC driving lights, Lund Supersteps, Lighted Grab Bars, VTech Slotted Taillight Covers, Alpine CDM-7829 Head Unit, PPI 4800 Amplifier, Kicker 10" Solo Baric Sub with Custom Box and Kicker Impulse 6.5 Mid & Tweets.

Old 11-12-2000, 04:59 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Rod,

The Superchip is 50-state emissions certified, including the CARB EO certification for use in California.

As long as your vehicle will pass emissions without the Superchip, it will pass emissions with the Superchip. As far as tailpipe sniff test results, most vehicles usually sniff just a little bit cleaner with the Superchip as compared to stock, just to give you a rough idea. If you'd like more detailed info on the Superchip, please feel free to get in touch with us via email or phone, our contact info is just below.

Any part that you are thinking about installing can easily be checked for legal use on the streets of California by asking the manufacturer (or their representative) if they have a CARB (California Air Research Board) certification, and if so, this makes them legal for use on pollution-controlled vehicles.

Most aftermarket cat-back exhaust systems are certified, as they really change nothing, the cats remain in place.

Good luck!

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System
First National F-150 Online Rally Event Organizer

Old 11-12-2000, 06:06 PM
Cool

Rodsteger, Mike T is correct about the CARB and EO number information on engine mods. As long as the part you buy has a CARB AND EO number for the engine size and year, it is smog legal and will pass smog tests.

For example, K&N makes a FIPK kit for the 5.4 engine for the year 2000, but not for 2001, even though the engine is the same. I'm sure it is the same for the 4.6. But if you were to purchase this part for a 2000 engine, and put it on your 2001, you would be in violation of CVC 27156c, modified smog installation (the section is long i paraphrased), because K&N does not have CARB and EO numbers for the 2001 yet.

good luck
az.

PS: I know this info because I have written several tickets for illegal engine mods, mostly on Honda's and Acura's.

Old 11-18-2000, 10:47 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking

Mine passed with flying colors,yours will too,I'd bet on it,,,,,,,98

------------------
98 F-150 4.6 Litre XLT2wd Ext. cab
Yokahama AVS/ST's
prarie tan/tan int.
K/N gen.II fipk
custom dual exh/gibson rectangle tips/rear exiting.
color matched snuglid
Superchip!!!
Westin nerfs blk .powdercoat
Clear front corners
Euro tails(Altezza style)
Cobra 75WXST cb w/weather alert
[b]Kenwood cd w/Radio Shack speakers,don't laugh it sounds pretty good]
Viper 500HF Security system
On the way/wheels,tires,air dam, etc..etc.......
doin the monochromatic boogie
on the front end.Billet grilles on order

www.my-f150.com Still want to lift it,YESSS!
FENDER GUITARS,ROCK!!!
http://www.bigsandy.net
officialtomwaits.com
reverendhortonheat.com

WOW,what a cool site!

Quick Reply: Emission Laws