I'm a little skeptical of the Superchip

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2000, 10:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

LIFE WITHOUT RISK....IS A LIFE NOT LIVED!!

Old 11-09-2000, 11:11 AM
2001, I kind of missed your post while I was typing in mine. So your going with the Gibson Swept Side? I think you said before you got a quote from Midas for it? What price did they quote you? I read the info on it on there website, and it looks like a good system. Most likely around $500 eh?

Old 11-09-2000, 11:31 AM
Fordification,

If I'm not mistaken, the Superchip comes with a 30 day money back guarantee.

Whatcha got to lose?

Old 11-09-2000, 11:41 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Fordification,

Thanks for your email!

I do want to point something out again, as it seems very important in this case. While the vast majority of people do see nice mileage gains with the Superchip, please remember that it's just a by-product, and not somethng we can guarantee. My concern is that I don't want you to "expect" the Superchip to offset the entire cost difference between regular and premium, as that doesn't happen very often here in America. Here, it can offset perhaps 12-15 cents per gallon US on average, so that driving 20,000 miles a year or less, the maximum average increase in fuel cost is $150-$200 a year, $3-$4 a week.

Yes, 2001 was kind enough to let us know about him getting another 75-100 km per tank with his Superchip, and he is in your area as luck would have it, but you may not get the exact same result in mileage. I'm sure you'll see some increase, most do, I just don't want you to have an unrealistic expectation, and count on it adding another 100 km to each tank of gas, and then be upset if it doesn't do that. It might, and it might not.

I think it's only fair to point this out, that's all.

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System
First National F-150 Online Rally Event Organizer

Old 11-09-2000, 06:35 PM
Thanks Mike for e-mailing me back with the price. $265 isn't to bad of a price. Now I wonder what duty will cost. Definitely cheaper then a exhaust system. I just may have to start saving up and take the plunge!

Old 11-13-2000, 10:05 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool

I would have thought someone so concerned with fuel economy,wouldn't be driving a 4x4with a 5.4 So.....buy a chip already...lol

------------------
98 F-150 4.6 Litre XLT2wd Ext. cab
prarie tan/tan int.
K/N gen.II fipk
custom dual exh/gibson rectangle tips/rear exiting.
color matched snuglid
Superchip!!!
Westin nerfs blk .powdercoat
Clear front corners
Clear Euro tails(Altezza style)
Cobra 75WXST cb w/weather alert
Kenwood cd w/Radio Shack speakers,don't laugh it sounds pretty good
Viper 500HF Security system
On the way/wheels,tires,air dam, etc..etc.......
doin the monochromatic boogie
on the front end.Billet grilles on order
www.my-f150.com .still want to lift it,YES!
Fender Guitars,ROCK!!!
http://www.bigsandy.net
officialtomwaits.com
reverendhortonheat.com

Old 11-13-2000, 10:21 AM
Smile

I'm really only concerned about the extra cost of running premium then anything. To tell ya the truth, I'd take power over fuel economy any day, but there's really no need to increase the cost of using it everyday. The time WILL come to pick one up though, just added to the list.

Old 11-13-2000, 09:09 PM
Just curious, someone in these posts mentioned removing the SuperChip prior to taking the vehicle into service. Whats the reason for this?, do the dealers frown upon this mod and void some kind of warranty? Would the hi-flow Air Intake have the same problems with dealers?

Adrian

Old 11-14-2000, 10:26 AM
Good question Adrian. I think it's better not to give any possible excuse for the dealer not to warranty the work needed on the vehicle. Dealers really don't make any money on warranty work, but make gobs of money on retail, so they'll pull any trick in the book to fool you into retail. My clutches in my LS diff were burned out, and was once contaminated with water, but the one dealer refused to warranty it, because they just figured I abused the truck from off-roading it.

It wouldn't be to much of a chore to remove a Superchip before services, but it's kind of a hassle to remove an air induction tube, everytime. I really can't see why they would have a problem with an aftermarket induction, but who knows?

Old 11-14-2000, 11:28 AM
Cool

Just my $.02 worth...

I installed the Superchip at about 1500 miles. I am getting a nice 1.5-2MPG gain in highway driving, but no change at all in city driving.

Premium fuel tends to burn somewhat cleaner than low-grade fuel does, so you may well recoup some of the extra cost over the long term in maintenance costs (valve job, etc.) as your engine ages.

Also, my experience tracks with most other Superchip users' experiences, in that the chip makes the truck much more responsive and easier to drive. It shifts cleanly, pulls hard after the shift, and the extra power allows it to avoid dropping out of OD while on the highway. In my opinion, after driving this truck over the same roads both with and without the chip, I highly recommend the Superchip. For the cost of a few bucks extra when you fill up, the gains in driveability and useable power are well worth the cost.

------------------
Tom Brendel
2001 SCrew XLT 2WD, Toreador Red, 5.4L, Med. Parchment 60/40, 3.55 Lim. Slip, Class III Towing Pkg, Aluminum Wheels, CD Changer

Mods: K&N Air Filter, Superchip

Old 11-14-2000, 01:27 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi Adrian,

No, we do not recomend removing the Superchip prior to service because of warranty considerations, as it is *illegal* for them to attempt to void your warranty or to even deny a warranty claim just because you have aftermarket parts installed, and your rights are protected by law, specifically, the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. Here is a link for more info on that: http://www.sema.org/fedleg

The reason we suggest that you remove the Superchip prior to service is simply this: when you attach the Superchip, the computers internal factory chip will be turned off automatically, that is supposed to happen, but most techs don't know that. If they connect your vehicle to the SBDS (Service Bay Diagnostic System) with the Superchip attached, they will still be able to get any error codes that may be present if there is a problem, but the technician will also get an additional P0605 error code, telling him/her that the computers internal chip is not functioning, and because it is not replaceable, to replace the entire computer! Most technicans have no idea that this is *supposed* to happen, and that when you remove the Superchip that P0605 error code goes away immediately, as the internal chip automatically turns back on by removing the Superchip.

Because of who we are, we always leave our chips in prior to service, and I have gone into our dealership and personally trained the techncians on this. But we have the detailed knowledge of that circuit, whereas most people do not (quite naturally), so instead of having people try to tell a technician what to do, it's much easier to simply remove it prior to service, it only takes a minute or less, very easy.

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System

Old 11-14-2000, 03:23 PM
DBL post

[This message has been edited by fordification (edited 11-14-2000).]

Old 11-14-2000, 03:37 PM
Hey Mike, do you happen to have the exact location of that Magnuson-Moss Act? It would be good to have if they ever try to deny warranty on a part due to having an aftermarket installed. There still able to argue that the aftermarket part installed could of been the cause of the failure, which is fairly unlikely with the Superchip.

Old 11-15-2000, 06:08 AM
an exhaust will not give you more then a superchip.i put an gibson on my 4.6 and did not gain any mpg.i did feel some power.when i put my superchip in it was like night and day,like bud lite and the beer in the yellow can,like a 100 year old and 21 year old woman,like a rice burner and a mustang v8!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !

Old 11-15-2000, 01:07 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi fordification,

I cannot supply the entire text of the Magnuson-Moss Waranty Act, but if you will check my post above, you will see that I provided a link to the SEMA web site, the organization we can thank for getting it passed. There you will find the relevant parts of the act, in English.

Here is that link once again: http://www.sema.org/fedleg

The M-MWA is enfored by the FTC (Federal Trade commission, FTC.gov is the web site), so if you really want to see the entire act, you can start looking for it on the FTC web site.

SEMA, the Specialty Equipment Marketing Acssociation, is the organization that fought to break the virtual monopoly the automakers had been allowed to establish in this country for many years. The automakers used to get away with telling you that you had to use GM brake pads, Ford wiper blades, etc., etc., or they would void your warranty. The automakers were able to establish a virtual monopoly in standard replacement parts, and the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act ended that, thanks to SEMA, which this web site is a member of. The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act covers aftermarket parts of all kinds, whether they are performance, standard replacement parts, appearance parts, or what have you, they all fall under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.

One of my favorite provisions of M-M is that no manufacturer can condition their warranty upon the use of original factory name-brand parts unless the manufacturer provides those parts FREE OF CHARGE! And *that* ended the automakers monopoly in replacement parts, thanks to SEMA!

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515

[This message has been edited by Superchips_Distributor (edited 11-15-2000).]

Quick Reply: I'm a little skeptical of the Superchip