I'm a little skeptical of the Superchip

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2000, 01:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry Mike, I guess I came off sounding a kind of hostile in my post, but am in no way down grading your product. I have been reading the flood of post regarding the gains of the Superchip, ever since I first logged on just over 1 year ago.

Just to clarify, I know the Superchip was only intended for performance gains, and that the improved fuel mileage is only a by-product of using the chip, which is usually the case in most performance parts.
The idea that your able to "kill two birds with one stone" by improving both performance and fuel mileage is what I tend to look for in performance product, considering the possibility that the product is able to pay for itself in the future. But again, not everyone is interested in aspect, but most are.

This is all heresay but, refering to the gains of a performance exhaust system, I have definitely heard of at least 20-25hp gains, with a 2mpg increase. And why was stating that a performance cat-back exhaust system up here is an extra $100 more then chip, which is approximately $500, refering to the WMS system found here http://www.wmsracing.com/wmsweb/f150pkg.html The velocity tube that WMS manufactures also is stated to produce great numbers for little cost, quote as having a gain of ".5 second improvement in 0-60 times". Assuming the gains were found in a 2wd F-150, but none the less a very substantial increase (it's to bad they already sold out! ) and for only $135(cdn)!

Again, I don't mean any disrespect, originally stated in the topic name "little skeptical", I am still interested in your product, but just trying to weigh my options. Consumers are very finicky and skeptical people (double for truck enthusiasts), or maybe I'm just a poor red blooded Canadian! Eh?

[This message has been edited by fordification (edited 11-08-2000).]

Old 11-08-2000, 01:58 PM
2001, Wow 75-100km gain eh? Thats fairly significant. What kind of F-150 do you drive? Is it a 4wd 5.4L? Thanks for the offer on helping install it. Where did you purchase your chip from? I was pricing them out at Mopac, just off of 16th Ave, but they were near $400.

Old 11-08-2000, 02:27 PM
Wink

Call Mike at Superchip as per his number is posted on this board...he will make you a good deal with some great service!

2001 Supercrew 4x4 (4.6L)...this thing is now lots fun to drive and pull with...I love this truck!

Let me know how it goes and we can have this must be add on installed in about 1hr!!

GET ON!

Old 11-08-2000, 03:33 PM
I put in the Superchip 8/26. Took it out 2 wks ago in anticipation of dealer svc. trip...Two or three days of driving around before taking the truck to the dealer had me ready to stop in traffic, disconnect the battery, and put the chip back in!!! I didn't realize until taking it out what a big difference it makes!!! I highly recommend it.

------------------
97 Lariat S/C Styleside; Superchip; K&N FIPK; 5.4; 3.55LS; PIAA Superwhites; Bright red/silver; Michelin XLT M/S 265/70/16; Pampering for LONG term.

Old 11-08-2000, 03:41 PM
Hey 2001, where do you usually fill up? Petro Canada in Crowfoot has regular on for 64.9/L, and cost about $50 to fill which isn't to bad. I'm not sure what premium is, but it must be over 80/L, which would be about $65 to fill a full tank. That's getting up there for only a 80L tank

Old 11-08-2000, 06:05 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Fordification,

(I like that name too, by the way. )

No problem, I didn't think you were being "hostile", just a bit misinformed perhaps.

For example, exhaust systems are routinely rated at considerably larger gains than what we actually see on a good eddy-current chassis dyno. YOu can look in just about any performance catalog, etc., and see gain claims of even more than what you posted! A few years ago, Borla, one of my favorite exhaust systems for 4 & 6 cylinder engines, was claiming (and still do) a 30 horsepower gain on my vehicle at the time, a 1994 LT1 Corvette. So we put the exhaust on, hit the dyno cell for some back-to-back pulls, and got a whopping 10 hp, instead of the 30 hp claimed.

I don't say that you haven't seen claims of those kinds of gain, heck, we all have. All I'm saying is that no aftermarket exhaust system is going to equal, let alone exceed, the performance gains of the Superchip for the F-150.

And if WMS claiming a half-second off your 0-60 times from their velocity tube on an F-150, that is just plain outrageous, and ain't gonna happen. You don't get a half-second off the 0-60 times with either the Airaid or the K&N FIPK kits, kits which make more power than the WMS unit.

What it all boils down to is experience. Anytime we get a chance to see what a part makes on the dyno, the vast majority of which we do not sell by the way, we let people know, just so they'll know what mods are the most cost effective on the dyno, and at the drag strip.

And it's not surprising that real world results vary from what's claimed in many cases, and that is one of the best examples of one of the biggest values of F-150 Online, being able to talk to people who have actually done this, or done that, or used this part, etc., so that everyone else knows.

I did go back and re-read your original post, and I originally misunderstood what you posted, and thought you were saying that a cat-back exhaust was only $100 up there! My bust, obviously you didn't say that, so that's my misunderstanding.

Thanks for responding, I'm glad we've had a chance to "talk" back and forth here, so we understand each other much better by now, I think.

I was glad to see 2001's post telling you about his mileage gains and the fact that he lives in the same area up there, that's always nice to have someone close to you with the product that can share their results with you.

The bottom line is you have to do whatever makes you feel most comfortable with your vehicle and in your sitation, like all of us. If the Superchip is in your future, that's fine. And if not, that's perfectly fine too, as long as *your* happy, you are the only person you have to please in that regard.

Best of luck with your truck,

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System
First National F-150 Online Rally Event Organizer

[This message has been edited by Superchips_Distributor (edited 11-08-2000).]

Old 11-08-2000, 06:37 PM
Thanks for the reply Mike. I e-mailed you this afternoon asking to quote a price for me on a Superchip.

You mentioned a Borla exhaust upgrade on a Corvette that you had, in which they claimed 30hp and you were only able to produce 10hp out of it. Was there claim maybe flywheel hp, in which threw the drivetrain of the Corvette the parasydic losses would 30%. I really can't see to much flow differences from the stock Corvette exhaust to the aftermarket. I have a feeling the F-150's stock exhaust would be much more restrictive in comparison to the Corvette's.

WMS claim is a little ambiguous. It may be true, but there's probably many factors that help create this claim, like altitude, weight reductions, etc.

If I'm looking at 50-100km/tank gains, this upgrade just maybe worth the money. I was just wondering if the gain in fuel economy would offset the extra cost of premium with every fill. And if it does, gidyup! I wait to here from you soon.

Old 11-08-2000, 07:06 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
fordification..
I once had reservations like you about the chip (and a few others)....but no more! I decided to try it out and am very glad I finally did! This is my second F-150 with a Superchip..and I will not own one without it. It really is that darn good!!! Several of my friends with F-150s (stock) have purchased a Superchip after riding in my truck.

------------------
2000 F-150 XLT, 4x2, 5.4L Supercab, Superchip, Styleside, Black with silver two-tone, 3.55 rear, class III towing package with super engine cooling/Auxilary transmission cooling HD package, Heavy duty shocks, 4 wheel disk ABS, overhead console, sliding rear window, keyless entry, dark graphite interior, in dash CD, factory leather wrapped steering wheel, FORD bedliner, FORD black tubular cab steps, K&N air filter, mar-hyde rubberized undercoating, Modine climate filtration system, Bugflector II, Mobil 1 oil, build 7/2000

Old 11-09-2000, 12:09 AM
One other gain that I really like on the chip is the change in the x-mission shifting. Not only will it help your performance but will take the (calibrated) slip out and add life to your tranny....I have never liked the slip for better shifting idea especially if you will be towing anything...Just decreases the life of your soft parts in the x-mission...

------------------
ecm747x

2001 SUPER CREW XLT, BRIGHT RED
5.6L Triton, automatic 3.55 gears limited slip
16" tires
side steps
bed extender
ford/duraliner bed liner
60/40 seats
6cd changer
moonroof
sliding rear window

Soon to come Mods...

Adding Super chip, Airaid F.I.P.K. Installing different exhaust, not sure which yet. Front grill guard. With light kit

MODS....
1) Lund x-terminator bug shield

Old 11-09-2000, 12:20 AM
Post I'm a little skeptical of the Superchip

I have no doubt that there is a significant change in fuel economy, but how much over stock numbers is it taking into consideration that by running higher octane fuel, your gaining maybe around 1mpg? I've heard gains of around 2mpg with a chip in a 4wd 5.4L, and taking in account the gain with premium, the difference is minimal. Around here, the Superchip is going for approximately $400(cdn), which is a large chunk of change for such little gain. Mind you, there is an increase in performance, but nothing like an aftermarket exhaust system can do, and for only an additional $100, not to mention the great sounding rumble. To me, it's just not justifiable.

------------------
~'98 F-150 XLT Reg. Cab Flareside 4x4, Black, 5.4L, 3.55LS, tow package, 285/75/r16 Mud Terrain BFG's,K&N, GTS headlight covers, Alpine changer w/FM mod, Clifford alarm system w/keyless entry & starter disable // Future considerations: Bed mat, tonneau cover, 4" suspension lift or 3" body lift.

~'71 F-100 Sport Custom Reg.Cab
-390FE w/Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, 780cfm Holley, ported & polished cylinder heads,
Hydraulic Crane Cam, 10.5:1 CR, Black Jack headers, true double roller timing chain, and high volume oil pump
-C6 transmision w/B&M 2600rpm stall
-9" Ford Rearend w/4.10 Richmond Gears & 31 spline axles
-215/65/r15 Yokohama's for the front & 28"x13.5"x15" Mickey Thompson ET Street slicks for the back
Best 1/4 mile time @ 3500ft altitude 14.69secs @ 92mph

~2000 Suzuki RM125 Dirt Bike
-no need for any modifications! (yet)

Old 11-09-2000, 12:26 AM
Sorry Mike, just weighing the facts. It's still a great product.

Old 11-09-2000, 12:36 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Fordification,

I'm afraid you're off base here. No exhaust mod is going to deliver anywhere near the power gains from the Superchip. On the 5.4 F-150, the best cat-back systems deliver anywhere from 10 hp to at most, 14 hp at the flywheel. The Superchip delivers a maximum peak gain of 28 horsepower and 46 lbs./ft. of torque at the flywheel.

We've had for the past 2 years here on F-150 Online far too many posts of drag strip times, dyno runs, you name it, that clearly show the Superchip does it's job. There are many happy Superchip owners right here.

You're welcome to think whatever you like, but your way off base, no exhaust system mod is going to equal, let alone deliver more performance gain than the Superchip.

With regards to the mileage gains, that too is what is reported back here by their owners. There is no such thing as a "gas mileage" chip per se, and the gains in fuel mileage from the Superchip are simply a by-product of the tuning process, and further proof of the increased efficiency with the Superchip. The Superchip is not supposed to somehow magically pay for itself, it's a performance chip.

Plain and simple, the Superchip is the single best bang-for-the-buck performance enhancer you can add to these vehicles, as their owners post here day in and day out.

It's funny that these kinds of posts come from people who have never even used a Superchip, but are willing to make all kinds of proclamations that it either doesn't work, or isn't worthwhile. This one, claiming that the Superchip delivers "nothing like an aftermarket exhaust can do", while never having used the product, is laughable. To say nothing of the fact that you can't come close to getting an aftermarket cat-back exhaust system for $100, or close to it. The cheapest aftermarket cat-back exhaust system on the market today for the late-model F-150 is the Dynomax Super Turbo, and that is still about $200 US discounted (and a whole lot more Canadian), and adds about 10 horsepower.

Fordification, you are more than welcome to not use the Superchip, nobody is twisting your arm, but these claims of yours aren't close to accurate.

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System
First National F-150 Online Rally Event Organizer

[This message has been edited by Superchips_Distributor (edited 11-08-2000).]

Old 11-09-2000, 12:44 AM
Cool

fordification....remember me, I to live here in BEAUTIFUL Calgary, Alberta (Canada) as you do!

I had purchased a Superchip about 3 months ago for $325.00(CDN). It is well worth its weight in gold even if you may have to pay $400.00 and I probably get an extra 75km-100km out of each tank if driven normal...this is worth the price alone. The performance and drivabilty is second to none and makes driving way much more fun and enjoyable...believe me!!!

This little performance chip is a must for any vehicle...take it from me "Mr.Thrifty" it will make you very happy with very little extra money!!!

I will even give you a hand with the install and break in period!!

Old 11-09-2000, 10:22 AM
Cool

Esso(92 octane)and Shell(91 octane)are the only two gas stations I have tried so far here in the Canada cowboy country and seem to provide a good energy fuel...Petro Canada will be next on my "fill up" list for testing!

Exhaust system's are a funny thing...Do We "Really" Need Them?...MAYBE...MAYBE NOT!. Truck manufacturers these days are making some very nice stock exhaust systems and can be nicely compliemented with a "Fresh Air Induction Kit" and a "SuperChip".

I am very very pleased with the WMS fresh air kit and Superchip I have added to my truck. The gains I have made in HP and torque with these two "Low Cost" add on's are very noticeable...makes me wonder if adding an after market exhaust system is really needed....MAYBE! MAYBE NOT!

I have done a great amount of book reading and listening on exhaust systems over the past six months and now convinced that the Gibson "Swept Side" cat back exhaust system is the "BIGGEST BANG" for the buck if your looking for a system with great HP and Torque gains and a "little" bit of growl...they know their product very well with a great reputation!

Fresh Air Kit + Superchip = Big Gains ($450 Canadian)

Fresh Air Kit + Superchip + Exhaust = Big Gains ($950 Canadian)

Let the debate begin!

Old 11-09-2000, 10:27 AM
I think you guys are kind of missing my point. I have no doubt there is a great performance improvement, evident in this graph . What I am concerned about is the extra cost of driving my truck by purchasing premium fuel everytime I stop for gas. Nobody likes to increase the cost of using a daily driving vehicle. The sacrifice of the extra cost really isn't a concern when your looking at boosting the performance of your toy race car, that you really don't put many miles on, but it usually is a concern with your daily driver. Although, the performance increase should be enough to sacrifice the extra cost, I find there are alot more aftermarket parts available that would create similiar results.

Just as a hypothetical calculation, I figured out the extra cost difference between running low grade fuel, and running premium fuel with the assumed extra 100km per tank I gain. At $0.80/L(cdn), that extra 100km per tank calculates out to be a savings of $13.56. On a regular fill of 80L, it cost me usually $52 at $0.649/L. With premium it would cost me $64 at $0.80/L. A difference of $14.00. Surprisingly enough, they come pretty close to offseting each other, assuming a gain of 100km per tank (which is alot). I wouldn't be surprised if my math is incorrect, but I think its fairly close.

I really like the idea of the chip being really easy in convenient to replace though, if I do decide to change it back to the stock chip. The only problem I see is getting a consistent extra 100km per tank, to make up for the extra cost.

Some may think I kind of "beating the bush", but nobody likes to pay extra at the pumps. Especially when your truck is using 80L's at 14mpg! Am I right?

Quick Reply: I'm a little skeptical of the Superchip