Installing Superchip professionally or self?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2000, 05:41 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It really is not that hard to do yourself as long as you follow the installation instructions/tips closely. Friends of mine have expressed similar concerns, so I installed theirs for them.

Also, if you ever have any specific questions..there are plenty of people on here that can help.

Good luck!

------------------
2000 F-150 XLT, 4x2, 5.4L Supercab, Superchip, Styleside, Black with silver two-tone, 3.55 rear, class III towing package with super engine cooling/Auxilary transmission cooling HD package, Heavy duty shocks, 4 wheel disk ABS, overhead console, sliding rear window, keyless entry, dark graphite interior, in dash CD, factory leather wrapped steering wheel, FORD bedliner, FORD black tubular cab steps, K&N air filter, mar-hyde rubberized undercoating, Modine climate filtration system, Bugflector II, Mobil 1 oil, build 7/2000

Old 11-22-2000, 06:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It really isn't that hard. I did two of them so far. I used a very small screw driver(like one for eye glass repair) and a magnifying glass. Using the magnifying glass really helps you see how clean the contacts are. Also, you can feel with the screw driver when you get the conformal coating off and reach the contacts. Just take your time and don't use too much pressure. Use the alcohol and Q-tip to clean the surface when you get the coating off. The PCM comes apart so you can clean both sides easily. Good Luck!It's really easier than you think!

------------------
98 F-250 LD E.C. 4x4,4.6 litre,K&N filter,tow pkg.,3.73rear,off-road pkg.,LT265/75R16

Old 11-23-2000, 12:43 AM
Smile Installing Superchip professionally or self?

Can anyone or Mike tell me if it is very hard to install the Superchip or should you have it installed professionally? Which raises another question on where you can have it done. I know enough to be dangerous. I read all the tips on this board and still have some doubts. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Dennis

Old 11-23-2000, 11:05 AM
Cool

djbogue- it's very straight forward. There are good instructions, and many good tips here. Take your time, do the terminal cleaning at a desk w/good light/magnifying glass/& don't rub off the contact metal. Do not overtighten the computer harness bolt. Good Luck !!

------------------
2000 F-150 XL, RC, LB, 5.4L, 4R70W, 3.55LS,
Class III tow, Payload #3, & Convenience pkgs.,
4-wheel disc/ABS, Chestnut/Parchment 40/60,
Ford bedliner w/Paintsaver & gas/wheel/spare locks,
Mobil 1, K&N oil filter, K&N F.I.P.K., Superchip,
Dynomax ultra-flow welded 3" cat-back w/ 3" Y-pipe,
Hellwig front & rear anti-sway bars, Rancho RS 9000s.

Old 11-24-2000, 06:45 PM
Thanks for all the encouragement everyone!! I need to wait until I get the money so I have plenty of time to think about it!!

Old 11-25-2000, 12:28 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Dennis,

We understand and share with you those same concerns. That is why we write our additional documentation specifically to take a first-time installer through this with no surprises. The manufacturers instructions are OK, they have good pictures and do a good job of telling you how to install the Superchip onto the Ford computer, but they do not tell you anything specific about the F-150 application, so that is why we write 4 additional pages packed full of detailed information, tips, & hints to take a first-timer thru this with no problems, you'll do just fine.

It's easy enough that over 98% of our customers install it themselves. As you can see from the other responses you've gotten here, the documentation we send with it is very thorough, and you shouldn't have any problems doing this yourself. If you would like to go over the installation procuedure, give us a call and we'll be happy to go over that in details with you, so you'll have a better feel for it and can give it some thought.

If after than you still prefer to have someone else do it for you, just about any competent person can do it; if you have a mechanic you like that normally does your vehicle work, take it to that person.

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System
First National F-150 Online Rally Event Organizer

Quick Reply: Installing Superchip professionally or self?