anyone have a chip with 4.6 manual???

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2000, 01:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post anyone have a chip with 4.6 manual???

I have as you can guess a 4.6 with a manual transmission. I was wondering if there was anyone else out there with the same setup that has the chip and have they noticed the same gains as the trucks with automatics? Any help will help me determine if I need to purchase a chip.

Old 11-18-2000, 02:59 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Popeye,

I know you're looking for feedback directly from Superchip owners who have 4.6 manuals, but I thought I would just drop you a quick line.

The peak power gains from the Superchip are no different for the manual tranmission 4.6's compared to automatic transmission-equipped 4.6 F-150's. Regardless of transmission type, the peak power gains are the same.

One nice thing for manual transmission model owners is the fact that more of that power gain from the Superchip gets to the rear wheels than in the automatics, simply due to manual transmissions absorbing roughly half the power to turn them as compared to the automatics. You will also see a bit more of a mileage gain from the Superchip, all else being equal, than the automatic owners too, thanks to this same fact of lower driveline losses.

So while you gain the same amount of power SAE Net at the flywheel, you'll get a bit more to the rear wheels.

The only real difference operationally is that since you do not have an automatic transmission, you won't see the firmed up shift characteristics. That aside, you will still get all the same benefits that everyone else with the automatics do, with a bit more of that gain reaching the rear wheels.

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System
First National F-150 Online Rally Event Organizer

Old 11-20-2000, 03:21 PM
Lightbulb

I am in the middle of my evaluation of the superchip in my 97 4.6 4x4. I also have done several other go fast mods (see sig.).
I am going to try different brand gasses around here to see if I can get better results than I have so far. More to come....

------------------
97 4X4 Flareside
4.6 5-Speed
Superchipped
ASP underdrives
Airaid
Dynamax headers
Borla Cat-back
Clear corners
5% Tint
285/75/16 BFG All terr.
16x8 AR Baha's
Rancho 9000's

Soon to come:
3" Perf. Acc. body lift
w/lift lips
315/75/16 BFG KO's
4000K bulbs

Old 11-20-2000, 05:20 PM
I am also in the serious consideration stage. Mike, if you are watching, do you have any reservations about buying a used chip?

Old 11-21-2000, 09:41 AM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
popeye,

I am on my second manual tranny truck with Superchips. As mike stated the gains are the same regardless of the tranny. Get the chip, you won't regret it.

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier

------------------
00 F-150 XLT SC Flairside 4x4 4.6 w/5spd 3.55LSD
Warn XD9000i, skid plates, Draw tite class III,
Rancho RSX Reflex shocks,
BFG 285/75 R16 MTs,
Borla Cat Back, Headman Headers,
Modified Air Cleaner Outlet Tube
and air box, Ported Throttle body,
Shortened MAF sensor tower,
K&N air filter,
Superchips

[This message has been edited by JMC (edited 11-21-2000).]

Old 11-21-2000, 01:10 PM
Question

mike,
what is the price to reflash one of these chips. There is a classified ad for a 97/F1-50/4.6/code= YSL2. PURCHASED 3-10-00. can you make this work in my truck. code WMY1? if so, how much - ballpark

------------------
2000 XLT SC FS, 4.6/5-spd, 3.55 LS, 4X4 Off-Road, Black w/silver 2-tone. Pro-chamber Cat-back exhaust, K&N Filter, Bugflector, Cowl cover, Window shades, Carbon fiber headlight covers.

Old 11-21-2000, 01:26 PM
Former Sponsor
Throttlejock,

Forget reprogramming, by the time you pay for that you'll have spent the same or less on a new one, just as I mentioned in my last post.

The only time a used Superchip makes financial sense is if it exactly matches your computer code, or if it is being given away free of charge.

If you want that price for reprogramming, we'll be happy to provide that information, please just contact us off the message boards, either by phone or email, our contact info is just below. The Webmaster here has firm policies against discussing exact pricing issues on the boards here, which helps to keep them free of blantant commerical content so we can all enjoy the boards, thanks for understanding on that. Just give us a quick shout.

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System

Old 11-21-2000, 08:11 PM
I have the chip w a 4.6 5spd, but, my erratic idle/vacuum leak problem is killin me right now, so I'll report results when i cure this problem.

Old 11-22-2000, 12:04 AM
Former Sponsor
Hi Throttlejock,

Because Superchips rarely fail, we do think a used Superchip can be a good bargain. You do need to make sure that the used Superchip exactly matches the computer code of your vehicle, otherwise it has to be reprogrammed to your code, and with that added expense you're better off and will spend the same or even less buying new and getting the warranty.

To find your computer code in 1997 & newer F-150's, simply open the passenger door and look in the front part of the door frame, in the area of the door hinges. There will be a sticker there with 3 letters and 1 number, and that is your computer code.

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515

Old 11-22-2000, 11:46 AM
Former Sponsor
Hi Doorslammer,

Make sure to go back to the thread titled "Premium", where Tiron posted that thing about the wiring harness for you to check, he included the link for you to follow and get all the information about that as well, which was very considerate of him, so make sure to click on that link and check it out.

I mentioned this already in a response to you in that other thread, but since you posted here, I thought I'd drop you a quick line here as well, hoping you'll see that as soon as possible, so you can check it out to see if that is the culprit.

Good luck!

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515

Old 11-23-2000, 10:36 AM
Thumbs up

Thanks Mike, and thanks everyone else!
It seems that I know one thing that I will be asking for Christmas a SUPERCHIP!!!!

Old 11-24-2000, 09:39 PM
Thumbs up

Hi, I have the superchip in my 4.6 with a 5 speed. My truck has a 5 inch lift with 285/75/16's thats = to 33's. I have 3.55 in the rear, I am able to still smoke the 33's. With the chip its night and day. Mike was a great help and I am very pleased

Old 11-25-2000, 12:18 AM
Former Sponsor
Hi Popeye,

Santa has been known to leave a Superchip under the tree from time to time.

Actually, we do work with a lot of wives & girlfriends & other family members & friends this time of year, to provide just that kind of surprise.

Good luck!

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515

Quick Reply: anyone have a chip with 4.6 manual???