I got the Powerdyne, now I'm waiting on the chip

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2004, 10:26 AM
WLF
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking I got the Powerdyne, now I'm waiting on the chip

I got everything I needed to install the Powerdyne in the mail yesterday. Now I’m waiting on the custom chip, 42lb injectors and 90mm maf.
I faxed all the information to you on Sat so I guess you will be calling soon. I don’t know if I can wait. I put the upgraded fuel pump in Sat. I may just install this with the FMU. Actually that would give me a good side by side comparison with the upgrades from you.
Tomorrow I am going to change out the Harmonic balancer and Spark Plugs. If everything goes smoothly I just may complete the install. It depends on how hard it will be to get to the injectors with the Powerdyne installed.

Old 07-20-2004, 12:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Congrats!

I always wanted to supercharge but the budget has not yet allowed. Hope you enjoy all of the new toys. Please let us know how the chip helps. Which chip did you get and what kind of truck do you have?

I saw some pretty good deals on powerdyne's that were around 3K but that's still a bit steep for me.

Post numbers if you get them too!

Old 07-28-2004, 10:08 AM
WLF
I spoke with Mike Troyer on Monday and he said the Injectors, MAF and Superchip will be to me by Thursday so the install of the rest of the kit should be Friday night.

Can't wait

Last edited by WLF; 07-28-2004 at 04:20 PM.
Old 07-28-2004, 02:38 PM
re. wow

Gawd, I wish I could just buy stuff like that. If i could, I'd have a supercharger, jba headers, 2 high flow cats, fresh pipes off the headers all the way back through a flowmaster and tips, New rear gears, reinforced internals, aluminum driveshaft, Higher pound supercharger pulley, new alternator, Ram Air Hood, ect.. ect..

But anyways, congrats and Like I said, please post numbers..

JD

Old 07-28-2004, 04:20 PM
WLF
PhAtNaV,
I will not be able to post numbers since I do not intend to run my 5100 lb truck at the track and will probably not dyno it.

Most of the upgrades you mention have already been done to my truck. To date I have:
-Ford Motor sport 4:10 gears with TrickFlow rear support girdle and Eaton Limited Slip
-Hellwig 1 7/16 front and 1 1/8 rear anti-sway bars
-Superchip (will be for sale soon as it is about to be replaced with a 4 program chip
-K&N Filterpac (will be for sale soon as it is replace with the Powerdyne intake)
-Troyer Duel E-fans
-Interceptor High Performance race built 4r70W trans w/2200 Stall converter
-Troyer active trans cooler
-Flowmaster Super 40 Cat back Exhaust with 2 1/2" in and Duel 2 1/2" out with 3 1/2 Stainless tips out the back
-Accel Coil Pacs
-JBA Jet-coated headers (not yet installed).

I see this as my last upgrade. I am not trying to be the fastest guy on the block; I’ll leave that to the Lightning and Mustang owners. I like to have a SPIRITED performing vehicle and I tow a 3000LB trailer frequently. Right now this truck drives and handles like a vehicle half it’s wt.
I will post my real world Seat-Of-The-Pants impression of the upgrade. This may seem like a lot of money and upgrades to put into this truck but when you consider I have not made a payment in three years, it has paid for itself and the upgrades in service. I am just having fun…

Old 07-28-2004, 08:06 PM
hmm

Okkkkaaayyyyyyy thenn......

:/

Old 07-28-2004, 09:27 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I like the look of youre hood. What type of hood or scoop is that? looks realy great!!!!

Trending Topics

Old 07-28-2004, 09:44 PM
WLF
chucks bp,
The scoop is off a 2000 Mustang. I got it from Neal the HP freak, send him an e-mail he may still have some. You can see some additional pictures and information on how I mounted it here:

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...ang+hood+scoop

I think the other year scoops are a little easyer to mount but I like the low profile and fit of this one. It looks like it was made for our trucks.

Old 07-30-2004, 08:28 AM
WLF
I just got word my Superchip will not ship until today so it looks like instillation will be some time next week. I am hoping to get enough done of the instillation that I will be able to complete it on the day the chip comes. I don’t have any time off next week so it will have to be an evening project. Even next weekend is booked. We shall see.

Old 07-30-2004, 08:53 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi WLF,

I think you are "W.F." - if so, take heart as your new custom tuning, etc., left here today shipped out for SATURDAY delivery!

Hope you have fun with your new setup!

Old 07-30-2004, 09:01 PM
WLF
I've said it before and I will say it again. Customer service... Want more? Get more from Mike.

Old 08-12-2004, 02:11 PM
WLF
Everything is in and running and has been for about two weeks. I had to work out some vacuum issues (with boost the vacuum lines blow off and had to be clamped) but other then that, the truck is really running good.
It really runs better all the time but the vacuum/boost gauge verifies the improved performance is as much from Mike’s upgrades and tune as from the supercharger. I would say I am in vacuum 98+% of the time. The supercharger only kicks in at WOT but when it does… look out because this thing flies. It’s no Lightning but sure feels good to me.
I only have two issues so far. One is that it will only pull to 5000 RPM. I was pretty sure it was set for 5400. The other is the 1-2 shift at WOT is just plain brutal. It lays a patch every time. That is probably from a combination of the aftermarket transmission I have and the tune.

Old 08-12-2004, 05:52 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi WLF,

Glad to hear you are enjoying everything, & thanks for your post!

A couple of comments...............

1.) The WOT upshift points are going to vary a bit, and usually require tweaking in any custom tuning situation to make it hit at any specific rpm number or vehicle speed. See, the WOT upshift points are controlled in 2 DIFFERENT ways - by engine rpms, as well as by the vehicle's actual speed - and then the PCM will take whichever occurs *first*, each time there is a WOT upshift.

So it's common to need to dial them in with a couple of adjustments if someone is trying to make a shift happen at any exact rpm number - This is *especially* true when we have a transmission that has been mechanically modified (as you pointed out in your post that yours has been, & thanks for mentioning that point, as it's an important one!). That modification drastically alters the automatic transmission's clutch fill times & resultant shift duration, as now it can flow more fluid volume in the same amount of time - and thus the # of rpms the motor is at when the tranny ends up completing the upshift is not known precisely until the parts are all on, the tuning installed and the testing/datalogging done. *Then* we see what it's doing and can "tweak" it from there. It usually takes a couple of adjustments to make it shift at a specific rpm number. I.E., when a tranny fills it's oncoming clutch quicker than stock, then it will generally shift a bit SOONER than what we command, just as is happening in your case (assuming the factory electronic tach is actually correct, which is a stretch at full-throttle) - thus it may very well take a couple of adjustments to get them hitting exactly where we want them, & that is perfectly normal. We have to set it up cautiously to begin with, so that it won't ZING! right up to 6000 rpm on a WOT 1-2 upshift and hurt the powertrain.

For example, with a centrifugal supercharger it's critical to the acceleration times (ET's at the drag strip, etc.) to let the motor wind to about 5400 rpm or so if you want to get the quickest possible acceleration - actually, 5600 rpm on the 1-2 is even better for acceleration *if* we have a good aftermarket torque converter - the stock 12" units tend to balloon after about 5400 rpm, so they cannot be wound as high. Point being, the centrifugals don't come on until higher rpms, so to get the best performance, we want to turn it as many rpms as we can without hurting parts. A 5400 rpm WOT upshift would be more appropriate than say, a 5000 rpm upshift would be, for better performance - just exactly as you mentioned.

Remember, this is *custom* tuning, and of a highly modified powertrain at that - so we have to deal with how each individual vehicle actually responds (as no two are ever exactly the same), and adjust the baseline tuning from there. There's no getting around the need for "tweaks" to the baseline custom tuning in such a heavily modified vehicle - tweaks to shift characteristics and maybe to A/F ratios/MAF transfer function too, depending on the mechanical configuration. All that has been done so far is your initial *BASELINE* tuning - it still needs to be dialed in to take care of things like the two items you mentioned.

2.) Along the same lines as #1, again, we have a transmission that has been mechanically modified, as well as an engine that now makes far more power (Whoopee!) than it ever did before due to it's modifications - so the shift firmness level, just like the WOT shift points, may very well need to be tweaked. All of this is easy to do, & the first step is to datalog the truck as per the datalogging instructions that were sent to you in that email file attachment along with the CPW's, and then send that data to us so we can review it & go over any areas that need to be tweaked a bit.

Now one question that comes up from time to time, and is applicable here too, is how long should the vehicle be driven before making decisions on things like shift firmness levels, or WOT shift points, etc? Well, in our custom tuning on a supercharged application with a modified transmission like yours, we generally like to see at least 500 miles on the vehicle before we do any tuning adjustments - then we dial it in from there.
So I'd say that as soon as you have about 500 miles or more on it (and I'm guessing that since you've been driving for a couple of weeks now that you probably have at least that many miles on it, maybe?), it's probably just about time to start datalogging & get that info to us, so we can dial in any areas that need tweaking.

Please make sure to give us a call when you're ready to go over all of this, do your datalogging, etc., & we'll cover everything with you & tweak it as needed. It's a good idea to give us a call BEFORE you actually do your datalogging, just so we can cover that in proper detail, so we're both on the same wavelength about how & when to do things, what we're looking for, etc.

Thanks as always for your kind words, your detailed follow-up post & feedback, & have fun with that all-paid-for hot-rod truck - a lot of us wish our trucks were paid for & so nicely modified!!

Last edited by Superchips_Distributor; 08-12-2004 at 05:54 PM.
Old 08-12-2004, 09:27 PM
WLF
Mike,
There was no intention by my post to put you on the defensive. Everything you posted about needing to make adjustments you said to me in person SEVERAL times prior to completing this sale. The post is in recognition of how GOOD this truck is running on the first try. I have many of your upgrades on my truck and have been nothing but happy with each and every purchase.

I do intend to contact you. I have no idea were to go in this area to get the datalogging you need. It dawns on me it may be well worth a trip to the beautiful state of Virginia to have you do the datalogging and tuning adjustments. I touched on this while talking to you and if I understand correctly, this is a service you offer.

In the mean time, I am just plain enjoying my truck. If you asked 10 posters here you would find 8 would be GLAD if their truck burned rubber in 2nd gear. I am very happy with my investment in your tuning and just plain sure it will only get better from here.
I will be in touch...

BTW My tachometer is an Autometer Pro Series. The truck does not have a factory tachometer.

Last edited by WLF; 08-13-2004 at 08:02 AM.
Old 08-14-2004, 03:37 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi Bill,

Oh no, don't give that a thought - & thanks for calling yesterday, it was good to talk with you again, and we got a chance to go over in detail the tweaks needed with regard to shift points & shift pressure levels in a few areas. For example, we were able to verify the fact that since you have a race-built tranny, we didn't increase the shift pressure levels on any of the shifts, they'll are bone stock - but to dial in that race-built transmission's shift characteristics so that they are appropriate & comfortable, we'll need to actually reduce shift pressure levels *below* stock in some areas, while is easily done.

As we discussed over the phone yesterday, sometimes my responses here are not so much for the original poster as they are for all the many others reading them - the "lurkers" typically outnumber the posters at least 10 to 1, maybe even 100 or 1000 to 1. Others reading in some cases may not understand what goes on in a custom tuning situation like this, where we have a significantly modified vehicle, both engine and the automatic transmission, and how it's normal to need adjustments, tweaks, etc. to the initial baseline tuning. No big deal. While you & I know that a race-built transmission like yours is going to flow much more fluid volume and thus execute the shift quicker and usually require some dialing in to nail the exact WOT upshift points (critically important for performance in centrifugal superchargers especially), some other readers don't know about things like that, and may think there are "mistakes" or "problems," etc. That's all. Don't give it a thought!

I should have your various transmission program adjustments we discussed done shortly, & then we'll see how those changes do for you.

Talk to you soon!

Quick Reply: I got the Powerdyne, now I'm waiting on the chip